Why Generation?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Pete D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Why Generation?

Post by Pete D »

What’s the story with Generation whistles? Some people really seem to love them and I don’t understand why. I have Bb, C, D and Eb generation whistles. Not one of them is anything special. As a matter of fact, they all seem quite cheap, especially at the fipple. The fipple seems to be made of a cheap type of plastic and extra little pieces of plastic are hanging off everywhere (I know I can easily cut it off). None of them sound particularly nice and aren’t particularly easy to play.

Do many whistle players feel Generation whistles are of better quality than Oak or Acorn for example? I have one Oak and one Acorn that I bought randomly at some music store and they are both excellent whistles. Good responsiveness, good tone and pitch throughout the whistles range…very comfortable and easy to play. So, why Generation? :-?
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The little pieces of plastic are possibly one of the reasons that they sound bad. You should refer to tweaking instructions that can be found on the main web site. A good Gen is a beautiful instrument.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Dee Whistler

Good generations?

Post by Dee Whistler »

I think Generation has the worst quality control there is. I have bought several Generations and all the "D"'s have been very bad instruments. I have one decent C and quite good Eb, but loads of bad Gens. Maybe the reason why some people think highly of Gens is the fact that artists like Mary Bergin, Sean Potts and Paddy Moloney have played them. However, I've heard that they have also done some tweaking to their instruments.

Then I think that the Gen's have gone worse what they once were. I have two Gen's that date back to early 1980's and they are much better whistles than any of the new ones. (Also they seem to have quite different mouthpiece than the new ones)

Anyway, I think that other cheap whistles (Clare, Feadog, for example) are of much better quality than Gens. I mean, you don't have to buy 50 Feadogs to perhaps get one good instrument, like it seems to be with Generations

Dee
It's not that hard to play it right. It's hard to play it wrong in the right place.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Buying a Generation is usually like playing the lottery. Sometimes you win, but most often you loose. The thing is that those really good Generations are worth their weight in gold, and the bad ones can usually be tweaked to become better than most whistles.
Listen to Mary Bergin or Paddy Molloney and you'll understand the magic of Generations. I have several good Generations, my absolute favurite is a D with the brass body and a blue (home) tweaked head from a nickel Eb Gen, it's probably the sweetest whistle I've ever played, I wouldn't part with it for a Burke!
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

i don't want to tweak...I don't want to pay...I want to play!
Kaktrot

Off topic.

Post by Kaktrot »

Henke wrote:Buying a Generation is usually like playing the lottery. Sometimes you win, but most often you loose.
Ya know what they say, the lottery is a tax on being bad at math.
Kaktrot

"If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him."
-- Benjamin Franklin

"To own is to fear."
-- Spanish proverb
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Sometimes a fipple-ectomy or an entire head transplant can work miracles. I have a Generation that I bought in the 80's(a red head brass) that could only be pryed from these cold, dead hands.

I have a Blacktop on order for that tube.

So many whistles, so little time...
Cayden

Re: Why Generation?

Post by Cayden »

Pete D wrote:What’s the story with Generation whistles? Some people really seem to love them and I don’t understand why. I have Bb, C, D and Eb generation whistles. Not one of them is anything special. ....

Do many whistle players feel Generation whistles are of better quality than Oak or Acorn for example? ... So, why Generation? :-?
Generation (or better Generation type.. just shovel the Oak and Feadog into the heap) whistles are fine for ease of playing, a combination of tone and responsiveness and they are not overpriced. I still find them easier (and often more satisfying) to play than any of the expensive whistles I have tried.
The best whistleplayers I know almost invariably feel the same.

If you need convincing go <a href="http://www.bridodonohue.com/tobar_main.php">here</a>, scroll to the bottom of the page and click sample 8 : Banish Misfortune. No doubt someone will say it's one of those special ones you have to go through boxes and boxes of them to find one but in reality what you hear is an average, plain and simple off the shelf Generation C whistle: if you can play it, you make it special.
Tres

Post by Tres »

Pete D wrote:What’s the story with Generation whistles? Some people really seem to love them and I don’t understand why. I have Bb, C, D and Eb generation whistles. Not one of them is anything special. As a matter of fact, they all seem quite cheap, especially at the fipple. The fipple seems to be made of a cheap type of plastic and extra little pieces of plastic are hanging off everywhere (I know I can easily cut it off). None of them sound particularly nice and aren’t particularly easy to play.

Do many whistle players feel Generation whistles are of better quality than Oak or Acorn for example? I have one Oak and one Acorn that I bought randomly at some music store and they are both excellent whistles. Good responsiveness, good tone and pitch throughout the whistles range…very comfortable and easy to play. So, why Generation? :-?
In my opinion, the main reason it is so hard to get a good generation nowadays is because they redesigned the head piece some time in the late 80's/early 90's. I am fortunate to own an older style Bb that is an outstanding whistle. I have played many newer style Bb's, but none sounded as good as my older one. For D whistles, the Oak fipples to my eye resemple the older generations, with the smalled bump on the fipple blade. I made a wonderful sounding whistle by putting an Oak head on a generation brass body-- sounds very "generationy"-- like a good one.

Tres
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Peter Laban wrote:if you can play it, you make it special.
Amen.

This is best illustrated by an 'unplayable' Acorn I stuffed into a drawer a couple of years ago. I stumbled across it the other day and it plays a lot better than it did when I put it there.

Amazing.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Tres wrote: with the smalled bump on the fipple blade.
The old Generations have the bump on the labium ramp? Do the new ones have it too?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

FJohnSharp wrote:This is best illustrated by an 'unplayable' Acorn I stuffed into a drawer a couple of years ago. I stumbled across it the other day and it plays a lot better than it did when I put it there.
The whistle's matured, obviously! ;)
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Can anyone put up photos of the different generation heads? I have some that I bought at the same time from the whistleshop that have different-looking heads. bumps and whatnots.
William Bajzek
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

monkey587 wrote:Can anyone put up photos of the different generation heads?
Here are a couple of side-by-side photos of the original (badly worn and chipped) head from my circa 1975 C Generation and the new tweaked one I just received from Jerry Freeman. Note the ridge along the upper part of the mouthpiece of the old one; the new mouthpiece is smooth there. Also note the different design of the windway -- the bevel and the pyramid-shaped bulge (I'm sure there are technical terms for these but I prefer not to know...I haven't yet recovered from the term "labium ramp"!) are quite different.

I put Jerry's tweaked mouthpiece on my old Generation body and the result is a magnificent whistle, easily one of the best C whistles I've ever played...I love it!

The tape on the tweaked mouthpiece is there because, as Jerry explained in another thread, he has to break the mouthpiece to get it off the body and make it tuneable. The new C mouthpieces are too small for the body and the fit is impossibly tight.
Last edited by bradhurley on Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Thanks for the photos. Some of my generations have an extra ridge high up on the blade. My digicam isn't good enough to get a photo of that kind of detail. I don't think it has any effect on the sound.
William Bajzek