How many play Uillean Pipes too?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
baggins_21
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How many play Uillean Pipes too?

Post by baggins_21 »

I'm thinking about buying a set next year, but am worried about the flute playing. What are your thoughts concerning the Pipes? Does anyone out there play? Are there any philosophies concerning playing multiple instruments?
Any and all responses appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
Teaching in Bolivia--that's in South America.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm working at the pipes (C set, so I won't exactly be taking them to your average session some day). For me, they're addictive even though I have very far to go. It's a real possibility that one's flute practice can take second seat, so if you're not playing flute on a regular basis either at gigs or at sessions or ceilis, you might be up against a dilemma unless you apply some self-discipline practicewise. If you've been playing flute for several years and preferably more, your fluteplaying shouldn't suffer so long as you keep at it.

I think it's true that the best result in most cases is gotten by concentrating on one instrument alone, at least until you're without question proficient at it. I don't think utter mastery is a necessary requirement before one takes up additional instruments, though.

That being said, am I a proficient fluteplayer? Well, I can save myself from drowning, but I won't be swimming in the Olympics soon, if you follow. :wink:

At least others can learn from my mistakes!
fluti31415

Re: How many play Uillean Pipes too?

Post by fluti31415 »

baggins_21 wrote:I'm thinking about buying a set next year, but am worried about the flute playing. What are your thoughts concerning the Pipes? Does anyone out there play? Are there any philosophies concerning playing multiple instruments?
Any and all responses appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
When classical musicians double, they say that the biggest issue is in the possible compromise to their embouchure. I think you will be safe from that problem!!

Actually, if you don't get out of hand with it (and try to play a gazillion instruments), I think that playing more than one instrument can help your overall musicianship. You see a different perspective to the music, and you see what kinds of things carry over from one instrument to another, and what kinds of things are unique to certain instruments. So I say go for it.

Additionally, anything with a double reed has to be good. :D
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
djm

Post by djm »

Since many (most?) ornaments in ITM come right off the pipes I think it can only do good to increase your appreciation of them and what they're supposed to sound like. Go for it!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I used to be a multi-instrumental type, including flute, but it all fell by the way side when I got serious about my piping. I pick up the flute once in a while, but it doesn't hold my interest very long any more.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

See the similar thread in the U.Pipes forum.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'll play the flute often times when attending a session where I know there won't be room for the pipes, or when travelling. However, I think its very difficult to maintain one's embrochure without very regular practice. As a result, I primarily play a Terry McGee instrument that has a very forgiving response, hard not to get a good sound out of it.
baggins_21

thanks

Post by baggins_21 »

Thanks all, I appreciate the comments. The comments concerning the danger of losing embochure seem a real concern for me--it's easy to let that slip. Yet, I also see the possibility that piping could increase my understanding and ability with the music itself.
Bill, why the entire eschewing of the flute?
Thanks all,
Matt
Teaching in Bolivia--that's in South America.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Pipes, concertina, flute
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Bill Reeder

Re: thanks

Post by Bill Reeder »

baggins_21 wrote:
Bill, why the entire eschewing of the flute?
Thanks all,
Matt
As Michael mentioned, regular playing is necessary to keep up the embrouchre. I was so driven to play pipes that neglected everything. Now the lip is gone, the bowing arm is shot, and I've lost the callous on my fingers. It's just too hard to put the pipes down long enough to resurrect old skills. Still, I haven't completely given up the flute, fiddle or guitar. I'll play them on special occasions when I have enough lead time to get things together, but the days of casually moving from one instrument to another in sessions are pretty much over for me.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I have never been attracted to the pipes for a number of reasons. I guess if I ever wanted to make that sound like that I could buy a kazoo off of ebay. :twisted:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I've been working on learning the pipes for a year and a half now, more of less. Just got my drones a week ago! I've found the biggest danger is not losing the flute embouchure, but rather playing the pipes as if they were a flute. Too open and so forth.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

IDAwHOa wrote:I have never been attracted to the pipes for a number of reasons. I guess if I ever wanted to make that sound like that I could buy a kazoo off of ebay. :twisted:
I have a kazoo. They're not as easy as you might think. :wink:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've been dying to learn the pipes. Or maybe the concertina.

(Or maybe I should just shut up and learn the flute, eh?)

BUT. I do know that I generally love the way pipers play flute & whistle when they pick them up .... they seem to nail that elusive burbling thing so very nicely.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

Cathy -

I suspect that certain "burbly" piper thing you are talking about is the way we (pipers) learn to cran early in our piping. Some say the essence of good piping is in the cran. So when we pick up the flute or whistle - the crans just seem to come out there as well.

...then again, I could just be full of crap -- (a cranfull of course) : )

- tw