Meaningless, meaningless - everything is meaningless

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

dwinterfield wrote:
Joseph E. Smith] ...right on!!!... but... umm... 'irregardless' isn't a real word... :P :P :P[/quote] [quote= wrote:And that's why I used it. I wrote the gibberish sentence in MS Word and the dictionary did not try to correct it. Out of curiousity I checked in Wordperfect. It also failed to see it as a mis-spelling. Is it a mistake if word processors think it's correct?
I hope you are not offended, I appologize if you are. Word processors can only correct what they have been programmed to correct... if the word isn't in the program as incorrect, then it most likely will be ignored. Best bet is to look it up in a dictionary.

When I was in Junior High School, I was berated by an English Teacher for using 'irregardless' instead of 'regardless'... that lesson has stuck with me through the years.... and of course, there is always the possibility that she was incorrect herself. :D
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jay-eye
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

Paul wrote: Agreement is only the current level of understanding between 2 or more people about something. For ages the human conversation included the understanding that the earth was flat, for example.

Best,
Paul
Oh, so you're one of these 'round earth' johnnies, are you? Kindly keep your unfounded and reactionary ideas to yourself, young man. There's no place for such cranky and crackpot theories on this forum, I thank thee.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Oh, so you're one of these 'round earth' johnnies, are you?
No, no, no. Heavens no. This idea that the Earth is round is only the current agreement within the human conversation. It has come about with the advent of technology that proves it for the moment. I have no idea what shape the earth actually is.

Best,
Paul
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
dwinterfield wrote:
...right on!!!... but... umm... 'irregardless' isn't a real word... :P :P :P
And that's why I used it. I wrote the gibberish sentence in MS Word and the dictionary did not try to correct it. Out of curiousity I checked in Wordperfect. It also failed to see it as a mis-spelling. Is it a mistake if word processors think it's correct?[/quote]

I hope you are not offended, I appologize if you are. Word processors can only correct what they have been programmed to correct... if the word isn't in the program as incorrect, then it most likely will be ignored. Best bet is to look it up in a dictionary.

When I was in Junior High School, I was berated by an English Teacher for using 'irregardless' instead of 'regardless'... that lesson has stuck with me through the years.... and of course, there is always the possibility that she was incorrect herself. :D[/quote]

We agree that it isn't a word. The entire sentence is a string of meaningless phrase people use all the time. The one I find most annoying is anyone in a discussion starting with "you'd have to agree with me..." or any of it's variations. I don't have to agree to anything.

As for word processor dictionaries, I thought they were set up so that they would flag any word not in them. I just checked on MS Word. If you add a "u" it flags it as a mistake and offers irregardless as the correct spelling. It seems the folks at Micosoft had a different English teacher.
djm

Post by djm »

dwinterfield wrote:It seems the folks at Micosoft had a different English teacher.
That would require agreement up front that the people at Microsoft are literate in the first place. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Don't have a lot of time to go through this now-burgeoned thread, but has anyone wondered at the meaninglessness of "You have been preselected as a winner"?

Preselected? What is that?

Really. :really:
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Nanohedron wrote:Don't have a lot of time to go through this now-burgeoned thread, but has anyone wondered at the meaninglessness of "You have been preselected as a winner"?

In this context preselected means:- eveyones a winner, providing they buy into a time-share property.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

perrins57 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Don't have a lot of time to go through this now-burgeoned thread, but has anyone wondered at the meaninglessness of "You have been preselected as a winner"?

In this context preselected means:- eveyones a winner, providing they buy into a time-share property.
So... umm... it's not a matter of Calvinist theology?
Reasonable person
Walden
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Selected verses Preselected:

Selected means that you were just randomly selected from a database and will get mail with only "Dear Occupant"

Preselected: That your name and address have appeared on many lists and we are hot to use it, then addressed to you specifically. A more personal touch. Or that they have credit watch lists of big spenders and you're it!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Paul wrote:HA! Good one Lambchop! :) You can take it further because "meaning" is a figment of human conversation. Meaning has no meaning without agreement, and agreement is neither right or wrong. Agreement is only the current level of understanding between 2 or more people about something. For ages the human conversation included the understanding that the earth was flat, for example.

Best,
Paul
Oh my goodness! Is that what you thought I meant? :D
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Walden wrote: So... umm... it's not a matter of Calvinist theology?
Once a winner, always a winner, surely?
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Jay-eye wrote:
Who gives a F**k...?
Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

dubhlinn wrote:
Jay-eye wrote:
Who gives a F**k...?
Slan,
D.
Now whose been drinking?
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

perrins57 wrote:Now whose been drinking?
Not I.
Reasonable person
Walden
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Walden wrote:
perrins57 wrote:Now whose been drinking?
Not I.
No, but maybe an Irishman has had a wee dram?

(Name's Mark btw)