Whistle techniques

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

"I shall accept no limits to my instrument save those that God and nature demand"

Seriously though, the best advice given here was that bit about it depending on just what session you're playing in. Even around the different parts of Ireland you will find regional variations in the amount of tonguing used. For myself, though I play an awful lot of Irish tunes, I've never claimed to play ITM. Sometimes I use a lot of tounging and sometimes none at all.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Leel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

TonyHiggins wrote:Listen to some recordings of accomplished whistle players like Laurence Nugent, Mary Bergin, Paddy Moloney, Sean Potts, and you'll hear plenty of tonguing. Yes, it sounds terrible if over done. If done in the right places, it sounds great.

Then there's the thing about hard and fast rules regarding ITM. Phttttt! Individual style is encouraged within ill-defined parameters. It sounds 'right' or it doesn't. Record yourself playing with more and with less tonguing and see what it sounds like. You can't be as objective while you're playing.
Tony
Right on, Tony! This is very well stated, and superb advice.
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

IMO, tonguing is almost necessary. It shouldn't be overdone but when used appropriately it can add great lift, bounce and rhythm to a tune. Sometimes I feel a tune to get boring if no tonguing is employed.

One more tonguing master to add to the list (Laurence Nugent, Mary Bergin, Paddy Moloney, Sean Potts) is Micho Russel. I've never heard anybody play as "non-legato" as he.
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

richard, tell the guy next to you, politely to mind his own business.

it is true that pipes can't tongue. but the most important note on the the pipes is the rest, silence, stacatto or closed note. that, uillean pipes (and northumbrian smallpipes, but no other pipes in the world as far as i know) can do very well. tonguing is one was to stop a tone, just like stacato notes on the whistle.
there are some great whistlers out there who tongue.

when it comes to any "rules" in trad, someone with a name is breaking them.

what is very traditional is variations from repetition to repittion. so you could play a tune with cont blowing (no tongue) and play it again with the tonging.

meir
Richard Katz

Whistle techniques

Post by Richard Katz »

Thanks to all for the great comments on my question about whistle technique. I took the comment by the flute player as a constructive criticism and was just curious what the whistle community would have to say regarding tonguing. I also play uilleann and highland pipes and I know about legato playing for sure.
However, I have played many sessions with some pretty accomplished players and I have heard a lot of tonguing in their whistle playing. I also feel either technique is acceptable and interchangable.
I will continue to learn from comments as I have always done.
BTW: I play a Chris Abell blackwood/silver D , a Burke brass session D, and a Copeland brass low D. All great whistles!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

If you look at the book "Dossan of Heather" you'll find plenty of tounging and if that music is not ITM I sure can't imagine what is........

http://www.rogermillington.com/dossindex.html
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
tim-hart

tongue away, me boy

Post by tim-hart »

Of course you can tongue on the whistle. It's a legit part of your repertoire and I use it quite a bit, along with my fingerings. I find it helps punctuate phrases and can help things "pop" in a unique way. Come sit next to me next time... :)
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Anytime I receive unsolicited advice on my playing I diplomatically point out that my playing is infinitely better than finding a huuuuge key scratch on the side of one's car.

:)
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
fiddlinviolinin

Post by fiddlinviolinin »

Hmm.. Interesting..

Well, I play pipes and I also tongue on the whistle. I like to think that I'm emulating the pipes by tongueing [Is that spelled correctly...?] because it's similar to the tight style. Although I'm kind of both. Well, anywho, that's how I do it.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

fiddlinviolinin wrote:Hmm.. Interesting..

Well, I play pipes and I also tongue on the whistle. I like to think that I'm emulating the pipes by tongueing [Is that spelled correctly...?] because it's similar to the tight style. Although I'm kind of both. Well, anywho, that's how I do it.
How was Willie Week?

J.
kenny

Willie vs. Kevin ?

Post by kenny »

I'll tell you about Willie Week if "Murphystout" tells us how he got on with Kevin Henry !!
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

I'll pass that request on to the man...
:D

J.