Harry Potter 6 is out!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Harry Potter 6 is out!

Post by avanutria »

Just had to be the first to say it. I just got back from Oxford Street, where rival bookshops are putting on various open-till-midnight bashes and the queues for the book are hundreds of feet long. On the bus home at a minute to midnight I saw a hundred people or so lined up outside my local bookstore, too. Gosh.

I didn't get the book, I've got a dissertation to write, but as Border's was having a "20% off till midnight" sale (thus sneakily excluding the 12:01 Potter moment) I did pick up two books I've had my eye on, "Watching the English" by Kate Fox (about the cultural expectations and tendencies of English people) and "Spoken Here" by Mark Abley (about disappearing world languages).

Bedtime now, night all, and Cees, only six and a half hours to go! :twisted: ;)
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Our copy will be arriving in the mail tomorrow (at least, that's what Amazon.com promised).

As soon as the release date was made public, my wife informed me that I'd be on my own this weekend while she reads the new Harry Potter book. The weather looks promising; maybe I'll take a hike. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I can hardly wait!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I got my copy 2 hours ago and I've already finished. Harry Potter dies.

D
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

I hope Amazon keeps it promise, I'll be waiting impatiently for the doorbell to ring all daytomorrow ;)
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

The kids and I are heading in for the midnight purchase. We'll have started it before the car leaves the parking lot.

:o Dale, you *are* the undisputed ... and not always in the most flattering context. :evil: You will suffer for that heresey. :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
scarhand

Post by scarhand »

my copy is supposed to arrive by mail tomorrow, too, according to amazon, but guaranteed by 7pm, and somebody has to be there to receive it (wizard attired not required).

my 16 year old daughter called me from germany today and read me the back cover because it was already saturday there and added nyah nyah nyahnyah nyah and said she was already on page 11 and was going to stay up all night and read it and there was nothing i could do about it. (like i'm going to stop her READING!!!) it's a good thing i have to work all night tonight cuz there's no way i'll get any sleep!! :o
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

I bet Cees is waiting (along with MANY others) in a long line right now... only a few more minutes to go. :party:

Going to have to wait my turn in the library line, got on the waiting list in April.... Apparently that was a little late: I'm number 402 out of 666. :o Good thing they'll have several hundred copies in circulation and the gal at the desk said a lot of people give in and go buy their own copy, so it may not be toooooo long of wait (we hope).

Happy reading folks!

:) Sara (*who really should be asleep right now so goodnight*)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

I detest Wally World, as a general rule, but it was good to be able to pick up our copy and one for our neighbor, who doesn't want to wait til we're done, LOL... we've stoically decided to wait til tomorrow to start it, as it is already 1am and DH and I both have 8am appointments... sigh.
anniemcu
---
---
---
djm

Post by djm »

I promised myself I would never do anything so nerdy as to actually go to one of these midnight book events just to stand in line for an hour to buy a dumb kids' book. So here it is, 2:00 am, and I am on the second chapter .... :roll:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

djm wrote:I promised myself I would never do anything so nerdy as to actually go to one of these midnight book events just to stand in line for an hour to buy a dumb kids' book. So here it is, 2:00 am, and I am on the second chapter .... :roll:

djm
You can take revenge on your foolishness later... read... read like the wind!
anniemcu
---
---
---
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Even tho' the other Weekender had already ordered a Brit version, she picked one up at the GROCERY store this a.m. What is up with that? Surely, the bookstores should have had the monetary flurry, imo. The 15 yr old young Weekster has dibs. I can wait.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Ours arrived moments ago.

Even though Shan officially "has the book first," I have already managed to arrange enough time with it to read the first chapter.

--James
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

The Weekenders wrote:Even tho' the other Weekender had already ordered a Brit version, she picked one up at the GROCERY store this a.m. What is up with that? Surely, the bookstores should have had the monetary flurry, imo. The 15 yr old young Weekster has dibs. I can wait.
Yeah. It's funny. After my walk this morning I stopped in the local Wind-Dixie grocery and they had a stack of 'em.

Dale
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

It was only $15 at Wally World! I was so excited I forgot to get what I'd gone for to begin with!

It will go unread, unfortunately, until I'm finished with Janet Evanovich's eleventh in the Stephanie Plum series, Eleven on Top, which I need to return to someone at work. She's quit her job as fugitive apprehension agent (bounty hunter) for her slimy cousin, Vinnie, but misfortunes still befall her. Her car was shot up straight off, shot up again by Lula, sledgehammered, torched by a psychopath, and is now sitting in front of her parents' home in Trenton, dripping water through a 12-inch hole in the backseat floor. She's on her third job in as many days, having been fired from each of the first two, and I haven't gotten to Chapter 3 yet.