The things they study these days

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The things they study these days

Post by jbarter »

May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
missy

Post by missy »

"Christian, Muslim, Jewish and Buddhist prayer groups were assigned to pray for 371 of the patients. The rest had no prayer group."

I'd be curious to know it the patients knew if they were being "prayed for" or not. Depending on the patient's beliefs, that could have had or not had a psychological impact on recovery.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

missy wrote:I'd be curious to know it the patients knew if they were being "prayed for" or not. Depending on the patient's beliefs, that could have had or not had a psychological impact on recovery.
I would guess that the patients probably knew they were in a study (I thnk it would be unethical not to tell them) but would probably not be told which group they were in to avoid confounding psych effects. However, since the outcome showed no difference between the prayed-for and the rest, whether or not there was a psych effect doesn't seem relevant.

As long as religions try to poach on scientific turf they are inviting such examinations. Of course, nothing will ever convince Pat Robertson's followers that their prayers did not divert Hurricane Gloria back in the 80's, but making them look foolish to outsiders is not a bad thing.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

A placebo prayer. I love it. :lol:
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Random notes wrote: As long as religions try to poach on scientific turf they are inviting such examinations. Of course, nothing will ever convince Pat Robertson's followers that their prayers did not divert Hurricane Gloria back in the 80's, but making them look foolish to outsiders is not a bad thing.

Roger
Hey, speaking of Pat Robertson, I saw a cordial but strange (to me) interview between him and Bob Geldorf, the Boomtown Rats Live Aid guy. This was prior to the actual concerts. They were all smiles and Pat was ultra-complimentary to him for doing "God's work" at Live Aid. Geldorf, in turn, invited Pat to one of the concerts, providing a moment of cognitive dissonance amidst a larger context of the same.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Wombat wrote:A placebo prayer. I love it. :lol:
Here ya go. (I also posted this in the political/religious uber-thread.)
The Agnostic's Prayer
(Roger Zelazny, Creatures of Light and Darkness, © 1969)

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Ah, Zelazny. He coulda been one of the greatest.

The opening paragraph of The doors of his face, the lamps of his mouth was the finest short story beginning in all of science fiction, until Bill Gibson's vivid "The sky was the colour of a television set tuned between stations.." which begins either the story Burning Chrome or another story in the collection by the same name.

Creatures of light.., Lord of Light and the stories Zelazny published during the sixties are some of the best-written SF ever published, IMO.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

s1m0n wrote:Ah, Zelazny. He coulda been one of the greatest.

The opening paragraph of The doors of his face, the lamps of his mouth was the finest short story beginning in all of science fiction, until Bill Gibson's vivid "The sky was the colour of a television set tuned between stations.." which begins either the story Burning Chrome or another story in the collection by the same name.

Creatures of light.., Lord of Light and the stories Zelazny published during the sixties are some of the best-written SF ever published, IMO.
Does that mean that you didn't care for Donnerjack?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm not a fan of Zelazny's stuff from later in his life, but I'd still say he was one of the best ever. I think the Amber books, or at least the earlier ones, were incredibly creative, as were most of his earlier novels and stories. A rose for Ecclesiastes remains one of my favorite SF stories.

The thing that set Zelazny apart from most other SF writers was his use of language. His degrees were in literature, although his undergrad was from Case-Western, a tech university. It's just so refreshing to read SF written by someone who concentrated so much on his writing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Donnerjack had bag pipes...

...oh, and the internet
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I seem to recall Zelazny and Phillip K. Dick conspired to do a book based on their shared passion for Wagner and the Ring Cycle...

Was a long time ago since I was reading this stuff :oops:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Denny

Post by Denny »

dubhlinn wrote:I seem to recall Zelazny and Phillip K. Dick conspired to do a book based on their shared passion for Wagner and the Ring Cycle...

Was a long time ago since I was reading this stuff :oops:

Slan,
D.
Zelazny & Dick... 'wish that had panned out.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

"Zelazany collaborated with Philip K. Dick in Deus Irae (1976) - Dick could not finish the novel himself."

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/zelazny.htm

Close enough...

Slan,
D. :wink:

W.B.Yeats
Denny

Post by Denny »

dubhlinn wrote:"Zelazany collaborated with Philip K. Dick in Deus Irae (1976) - Dick could not finish the novel himself."

http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/zelazny.htm

Close enough...

Slan,
:oops: I wonder if that is where I found Zelazany... :D

that was a hell of a time to hit 666.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Have Faith :lol: :lol:

Slan,

W.B.Yeats