Meaningless, meaningless - everything is meaningless

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

avanutria wrote:Gary, I think that one started through the use of "whatever" as the answer to a question, i.e. not caring what the outcome is. "Would you like bacon or sausage?" "Oh, whatever."

The teenage usage thus becomes "I couldn't care less." which is then transmitted across to represent their opinion of the speaker.
For which contamination of the English language I blame TV. And *rap music.

(In answer to the question "bacon or sausage?" a Brit might say "Either will do" or "I'm not fussed" or "I don't mind", but never, I would suggest, "Oh, whatever." That's a ghastly Americanism, and the subsequent use of "Whatever" crossed the pond thanks to pap like "Beverly Hills 90210." And *rap music).

Balderdash is a jolly good word though, my compliments on your splendid use thereof! Might I also suggest 'cobblers,' which I'm sure Martin will also very much appreciate :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

One I hate is "no offense, but." It has meaning, though. It means, "I'm fixing to say something I know is offensive."
Reasonable person
Walden
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Has the Australian habit of rising intonation reached the USA yet? The one where every sentence ends on a rising pitch, making it question?

"I went out to the dunny today? And there was a deadly funnel web spider sitting there? Went back in and got me cricket bat? Whacked the little bugger into next week?"

(Not that there's anything wrong with that? Apart from it being incredibly irritating?)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

GaryKelly wrote:Has the Australian habit of rising intonation reached the USA yet? The one where every sentence ends on a rising pitch, making it question?

"I went out to the dunny today? And there was a deadly funnel web spider sitting there? Went back in and got me cricket bat? Whacked the little bugger into next week?"

(Not that there's anything wrong with that? Apart from it being incredibly irritating?)
I ain't heared tell of it around these parts, but you can't never tell, with all these Crocodile Dundee Hunters and stuff, people is picking up some peculiarer and peculiarer modes of speech all the time.
Reasonable person
Walden
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

GaryKelly wrote:(In answer to the question "bacon or sausage?" a Brit might say "Either will do" or "I'm not fussed" or "I don't mind", but never, I would suggest, "Oh, whatever." That's a ghastly Americanism, and the subsequent use of "Whatever" crossed the pond thanks to pap like "Beverly Hills 90210." And *rap music).
Yes; my original example was going to be a very common question in America: "Tea or coffee?" But I knew such a thing would never be in question over here. "Tea or life-saving surgery?" wouldn't even be in question.
GaryKelly wrote:Has the Australian habit of rising intonation reached the USA yet? The one where every sentence ends on a rising pitch, making it question?
Hahahaha... Yes, I believe it has, but only in certain regions (ie south California, most likely) and usually by girls about 15-22 I'd guess.

How's that for a definite answer? :D
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Actually Uptalk has been around since the late 80's. The problem reached a peak in the early '90's around here. A supervisor where I worked? Used "uptalk" constantly?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Flyingcursor wrote:Actually Uptalk has been around since the late 80's. The problem reached a peak in the early '90's around here. A supervisor where I worked? Used "uptalk" constantly?
I agree absolutely. It could even have been around prior to the point in time you referred to in actual fact. My daughter does it at every conceivable opportunity? and I find it totally annoying? Innit.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

One of my life's constant works is to bring old words back into common usage, and mix in a blend of my own inventions for good measure. When I hear the yoof ov today using language I invented, I can die happy.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
missy

Post by missy »

Gary - you beat me to it. I cannot stomach "up talk". It is especially prominant with teenagers (of which I have 2) and I am constantly reminding them to stop mentally putting a question mark at the end of their sentences!!!!! It's also invasive to the 20 somethings I work with, and it is very annoying to hear in a scientific presentation.

I've often dreamed of adding "yes" or "no" in a monotome at the end of every statement someone makes that ends in "up talk".
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Walden wrote:One I hate is "no offense, but." It has meaning, though. It means, "I'm fixing to say something I know is offensive."
Good example Walden. A similar one is from people who say "I'm just being honest" or "I'm just telling the truth", which really means "I'm just being insensitive or opinionated".
My wife has a good one, if I have the cheek to disagree with her she replies "well I was only saying". Aarrrrghh.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

GaryKelly wrote:"I went out to the dunny today? And there was a deadly funnel web spider sitting there? Went back in and got me cricket bat? Whacked the little bugger into next week?"
You're on a roll today, Gary. This one almost made me fall off my chair in hysterical fits of laughter :lol:
I'll have to remind myself if I'm ever on your side of the pond to not respond "whatever" if you ask me if I want bacon or sausage. Although maybe "whatever?" would work?

Oh, and I was thinking it would be cool to insert "balderdash" into my conversations now and then, but I really think that people would think me to be daft. Whatever? :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

scottielvr wrote:...and of course one of the most meaningless things one can say is, "How are you?"
When a telemarketer asks me "how are you today, Mr K?" I always want to say "Well, I'm not so hot-advanced brain cancer, you know." I've never done it though.

So, everyone--have a nice day.

Steve
djm

Post by djm »

My favourite "let's pick on Aussie speak" is their obsession with visual acuity. Why would anyone need to greet you with the query, "Good eye"? :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:My favourite "let's pick on Aussie speak" is their obsession with visual acuity. Why would anyone need to greet you with the query, "Good eye"? :wink:

djm
They want to know if you're well enough to throw a shrimp on the barbie?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

avanutria wrote:The teenage usage thus becomes "I couldn't care less."
Speaking of which, whazzup with people positivising that phrase:
"I could care less what he thinks"
Well, that means you care at least somewhat... Now I have no idea the level of care
you harbor for his opinion. It's a null sum phrase.