DIY Whistle Making Instruction Site

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Make your own DIY whistle?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:59 am

I MIGHT TRY SOMETIME.
39%
I INTEND TO TRY SOON.
13%
I HAVE MADE A DIY WHISTLE.
35%
I WILL NEVER MAKE ONE.
13%

Total votes: 31

Tony McGinley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

DIY Whistle Making Instruction Site

Post by Tony McGinley »

Came accross a very well organised site by Guido Gonzato in Verona Italy. He has made a number of PVC whistles and documents the DIY steps very clearly.

Anyone with the smallest interest in trying their hand at DIY whistle-making should be interested in this site.

I have been corrisponding with Guido who is a really helpful and nice guy.

http://profs.sci.univr.it/~gonzato/whistle/
Last edited by Tony McGinley on Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

OOPS - The poll thing seems to have glitched - and - I dont know how to fix it!!!!
Tony McGinley

its peace and security,
<i><b>
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I've made one or two... :roll:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

That's a nice site, very easy to follow... I wish I have found it when I first started...

I disagree on the shape of the fipple plug though ;)
Cristian Feldman
WhistlinBob

home made whistles

Post by WhistlinBob »

The basics for making a good playing whistle are fairly easy
I have made many whistles using wood metal and pvc most play very good of course they are not as pretty as Pauls whistles but hopefully I will be able to attain that level someday.
there is a certain pleasure at making and playing your own handy work
a one anda two anda three. I would like you to meet my whistle instructer Charles.

[A bad day of Whistlin is better than
any day at work!!!]
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have made several using the same general design as the one shone. A C whistle I made was pretty good. A few 100 more and I may begin to get it right.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

A freind and I are planning a bit of collaboration... should be fun. I think this is the same site he found. Thanks! I hadn't seen it yet.

I really want to try a Highland Hornpipe type myself. I love their "Wee D". I simply cannot afford to purchase one, as much as I'd like to.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

A bit unrelated, but can someone tell me why do-it-yourself whistles are so much more popular than flutes? To my novice mind the flute looks easier to make because there is no fipple or windway. That said, perhaps the answer is in the playing, because flutes are harder to play. Still, this inquiring mind would like to know both about the making of DIY flutes, and why they seem less popular.
TheKingPrawn

Post by TheKingPrawn »

I just made a couple of flutes this weekend. There actually is a bit a shaping required on the blow hole to make it play. I found Tipple's site with instructions, but it is very vague on how to shape the embouchure. It's a good thing PVC pipe is cheap.

Back on topic, are there any sites with dimensions/directions for DIY low whistles? I'm picking up stuff today for a soprano D, but I would like to try my hand at a low D as well. Also, can someone translate the required pipe dimensions from the previously mentioned site into regular PVC nomenclature? The best I've been able to come up with so far is that it's 1/4" schedule 40 pipe needed.
Last edited by TheKingPrawn on Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Good question Bill. It does seem that there are more DIY whistles than flutes. I make both and give most of them away.
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

BillChin wrote:A bit unrelated, but can someone tell me why do-it-yourself whistles are so much more popular than flutes? To my novice mind the flute looks easier to make because there is no fipple or windway. That said, perhaps the answer is in the playing, because flutes are harder to play. Still, this inquiring mind would like to know both about the making of DIY flutes, and why they seem less popular.
You got it in ONE - easier to play!!!!

So why not try next door in the Flute Forum, I'm sure you will find a few DIY flute makers to talk to.
Tony McGinley

its peace and security,
<i><b>
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have also made a few PVC flutes. They are not as easy as you might think. It is about getting the embouchure just right and the holes the right size and in the right place. The real trick is being able to play them once you have made them. There are many DIY flute sites also. Just google around for awhile.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I once made a playable PVC flute. But like all low tech (home made) simple system flutes it was hard to play and always out of tune. There's a lot of fine detail in getting the "blow hole" right.
Caru

Post by Caru »

I've made one -- barely. It is made from soft plastic tubing, so it curves. The holes were cut with the scissors from a Swiss army knife, and the fipple block was a sample-size tube of lipstick held in place with a potato chip bag clip (the lipstick was later replaced by a piece of dowel, flattened on the top with a knife). It looks awful and the tone is very weak, but it works well enough to play. It's surprisingly well in tune considering that I just estimated the hole placement by holding a real whistle next to it and copying. (I did use a tuner to cut the holes to size, though.)