The US and the UK: The most disconcerting difference, IMO...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

The US and the UK: The most disconcerting difference, IMO...

Post by avanutria »

The United States has the Energizer Bunny.

The United Kingdom has the Duracell Bunny.

Image Image

It's like the Twilight Zone where everything seems normal and then you are startled by some unexpected little difference...
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Yeah, I live in Uganda and I saw an advert for Duracell just the other day which featured those obnoxiously cute pink bunnies. It definately left me confused. The worst thing about it is that while the Energizer commercials were often pretty cool and funny, the Duracell commercials are just plain lame.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

How's the TV reception out there in Uganda? Apart from the lame commercials, d'you get good programming?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

How can they get away with such a travesty?

I prefer Duracells any day.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

The satellite TV reception is quite clear. :wink:
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Aren't both brands owned by the same corporation?

Which would meand <GASP> that advertising isn't honest!!!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
emmline

Post by emmline »

That Duracell bunny is such a wannabe.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

emmline wrote:That Duracell bunny is such a wannabe.
Dont you just wanna slap him? What a poser.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

s1m0n wrote:Aren't both brands owned by the same corporation?

HERESY!

Of course all advertising is truthful and honest
(terms & conditions apply)
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Typical American Johnny-come-latelys.
The Duracell Bunny is used to market Duracell batteries. Strictly speaking, the Duracell bunnies are actually a species of anthropomorphic pink rabbits powered by batteries. In commercial advertisements, the Duracell Bunny is actually only one of these rabbits, powered by a Duracell battery rather than rival batteries. The point of the adverisement is that the bunny powered by a Duracell battery can continue functioning for a longer amount of time before its battery runs down.
The advertisements usually feature the bunnies competing in some way, for example a game of soccer or a race.

The Duracell bunny predates the Energizer Bunny, which actually began as a parody of the Duracell bunny toys that became a collectable item. People often get the two confused, although there are distinct differences between the two. There are differences in appearance - the Energizer bunny wears sunglasses, has larger ears, is a different shade of pink and has a different body shape. Also, while the Energizer bunny is a single rabbit, the Duracell bunnies are a species. The Energizer bunny is always depicted with a drum, as the Duracell bunny toys that it is a parody of had drums, but the actual Duracell bunny advertising campaign has moved beyond this, and Duracell bunnies are usually depicted as doing something other then beating a drum.

The Duracell Bunny does not appear in the United States, due to the now iconic status of the Energizer Bunny.

http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/Duracell_Bunny

[/quote]
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

GaryKelly wrote:Typical American Johnny-come-latelys.
The Duracell bunny predates the Energizer Bunny,
quote]

http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/Duracell_Bunny

Well I'll be damned...
I sure didn't know that, thanks for snatching the hoodwink!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

The Energiser bunny looks more like a hare, with those long ears.
ImageHares
ImageRabbit
However they're all lagomorphs to me...
Last edited by Martin Milner on Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

s1m0n wrote:Aren't both brands owned by the same corporation?

No.
Duracell is owned by Gilette, the same guys who make the Mach3 razor.
Energizer was originally Eveready (originally owned by Union Carbide) and has been owned by Ralston Purina since 1986.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Good grief! I think I've finally identified Amar's tattoo. :o :boggle:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

jbarter wrote:Good grief! I think I've finally identified Amar's tattoo. :o :boggle:
Yeah!!
It's not a wee pink kitty after all!
Its the Energiser/Duracel bunny! :D :D :D :D