Bad enough when "Small World" won't go away!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

:wink: Family forum. Wouldn't want you to "freak out", man. Actually its fairly juvenile. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote::wink: Family forum. Wouldn't want you to "freak out", man. Actually its fairly juvenile. :D

djm
... I respect juvenile. So, send it via PM maybe? :D
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:I'm not sure I understand what the concern is with this. I hear music playing in my head constantly - always have. When people talk about getting a tune stuck in their head, I thought it was a common experience, because everyone seemed to be able to relate. If I don't like what's playing, I simply change tunes, but what ever is playing plays constantly until something else starts up a different tune. It may take me a while to even notice that the tune has changed.

djm
Your brain really is an iPod man!

I have had similar experiences.
Ever since I was a small child I have been able to hear a song once and be able to play it by ear on the piano. Friends have commented how amazing it is that I can go to the movie theatre, return home and play the theme from the soundtrack on my baby grand. Theres no secret to it, I have always been able to "record" what I hear and "play-back" what I record at will. Hence, people precieve that I have heared a song or tune once, when in reality I have heared it several times over.
Sometimes certain tunes invade my conscious and I have some difficulty "switching" songs or turning it off at all, but this is infrequent.
What I can say for sure is, when I "play" a tune, whether it's voluntary or not, it is like hearing it from an external source.
If this is some kind of mental illness, then by all means, paint me crazy.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Maybe they would pay you to study what does sound like real auditory hallucinations. That mental illness=crazy thing is from long ago and they don't go together. I mean obviously you aren't crazy, right? It is nice you can turn it off though, I think that is what would be disconcerting.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cynth wrote: I mean obviously you aren't crazy, right?
I dunno, sometimes that's very debatable..... :lol: :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

When I was a watchkeeper on nightshift in various earth stations around the globe, the brain would have a hard time coping with the constant noise of airconditioners and equipment cooling-fans. When things were quiet I'd sit back in the chair at the control console and let Brain do its thing... I heard music and conversations like a badly tuned radio while the gray cells tried to make sense out of the noise. Really rather cool, actually. I used to have the most astonishingly vivid dreams after a night shift on the stations, must've been the 'sensory deprivation' or something.

Uhm.... I'll go now.... :oops:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

GaryKelly wrote:When I was a watchkeeper on nightshift in various earth stations around the globe, the brain would have a hard time coping with the constant noise of airconditioners and equipment cooling-fans. When things were quiet I'd sit back in the chair at the control console and let Brain do its thing... I heard music and conversations like a badly tuned radio while the gray cells tried to make sense out of the noise. Really rather cool, actually. I used to have the most astonishingly vivid dreams after a night shift on the stations, must've been the 'sensory deprivation' or something.

Uhm.... I'll go now.... :oops:
Working security some years ago, I used to pull night shifts at places that had a lot of background noise like that...starts to sound like there's a radio on somewhere in the building. :boggle:
djm

Post by djm »

Tyler wrote:starts to sound like there's a radio on somewhere in the building
Creepy, eh? Electric fans or the wind rushing over the rearview mirror when I'm driving will do that to me. Can't quite pull the station in to clearly hear what's being said .... probably just an ad. :roll:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

djm wrote:
Tyler wrote:starts to sound like there's a radio on somewhere in the building
Creepy, eh? Electric fans or the wind rushing over the rearview mirror when I'm driving will do that to me. Can't quite pull the station in to clearly hear what's being said .... probably just an ad. :roll:

djm
It's the US gov't trying to sell you war bonds! :boggle: :boggle: :D
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

sometimes when I'm half-awake but still half in a dream, I'll hear music, sometimes in dreams I hear songs in detail I didn't know I was capable of remembering, as if I were listening to a radio.

Thankfully I don't have any weird hallucinations when I'm actually awake. That could get annoying. :boggle:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Its true "Small World" is a clinging piece of musical irritation, like "Hamster Dance". The pseudo-"Small World" dolls in Shrek 2 reduced me to a laughing lump, proof I'm easily amused. Does this mean I'm "lumpen" as in lumpenproletariat? Laughing lumps of the world, unite!

-Just where do those hamsters learn dance anyway, Hamsterdam? :D

-gotta knock off stream-of-consciousness post replies-