Amazing Slow Downer

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jonharl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Amazing Slow Downer

Post by jonharl »

The web site for the Amazing Slow Downer claims reduced speeds between 50-400%. That's really too slow for what I'm working on. Does anybody know an inexpensive speed reducer that doesn't change the pitch. I'm looking for 20% or 25% reduction. The Marantz PSD 300 does it but that unit cost $500.00. If it's software it's got to be Mac OSX compatible.

Thanks,
Jon
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Jon, Roni's Amazing Slow Downer will slow it down by any percent you want. Its a sliding bar. Why don't you try the freebie version?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

What Tyghress said. I have the trial version and can confirm this is the case, there's quite a bit of flexibility in reducing the speed. I like it enough that I'm probably going to get the full version, I've found it great for learning tunes by ear that are too fast for me to pick out some of the little nuances.
Love...Serve...Remember
Bill Reeder
antispam: No

Post by Bill Reeder »

The Amazing Slow Downer program will slow your tunes as much as you want. It does so without changing pitch, although it will change pitch if you tell it to. Take another look.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll download the program today.
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

:) Thanks for pointing out this useful little programme - - great for playing along with a CD - Its also great for using backing tracks to play along with Karaoke style - Neat One!!!
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

You can also slow down a music file with windows media player.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

<a href="http://audacity.sourceforge.net/">Audacity</a> is also a nice program. Although, because it has so many more functions,
it is not as simple to use as the Amazing SlowDowner. It can slow down tunes w/o effecting
pitch, and walrii <a href="http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ">recently discovered</a> that it can display the pitches in the tune,
if you need help figuring out an interval. Plus, it's completely free!
curioso

Post by curioso »

If you read carefully, Slowdowner says "-50%" to 400% slower. That is a backwards way of saying it can SPEED UP tunes by 50% (!!!) as well as slow them down. My wife had a realllllly sloooow version of "Climb Every Mountain" and we used Slowdowner to increase the tempo 20%. Nice program, and FREE!!!
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

RonKiley wrote:You can also slow down a music file with windows media player.

Ron
:-? But I do not think it will incrementally adjust the speed, and it makes the slowed down version sound quality very poor.

The ability to adjust both pitch AND tempo without adversly affecting the sound quality is really neat.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Wow! I finally got around to downloading and installing the trial version of TASD... what a tool! It goes near the top of my "when I get funds again" list!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

I wish they did an Amazing Speed Upper. This would take my slow whistle playing and convert it to super fast widdley widdley Irish folk style playing.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Denny

Post by Denny »

perrins57 wrote:I wish they did an Amazing Speed Upper. This would take my slow whistle playing and convert it to super fast widdley widdley Irish folk style playing.
ASD will go to double speed. You might be able to save it and double it mutiple times...
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Denny wrote:
perrins57 wrote:I wish they did an Amazing Speed Upper. This would take my slow whistle playing and convert it to super fast widdley widdley Irish folk style playing.
ASD will go to double speed. You might be able to save it and double it mutiple times...
Ok, ok, I didnt say I was THAT slow! :)
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)