Do you believe in ghosts?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

cowtime wrote:All my Dad's people come from western NC and they have more ghost stories than any bunch I've ever heard.

The one that immediately jumps to my mind is the "Brown Mountain Lights". He use to always have us watch for them if we drove by at night, and he said he saw them many times.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/brownmt.html
My Dad has seen the Brown Mountain Lights several times. It's a fascinating phenomenon, and I'd like to see them some day.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

amar wrote:apparantly you can see that brown mountain light nearly each night. so, where are the pictures...?
and this doesn't reallllly count now, does it..?
How about an animated gif? Same poor quality, of course.

More poor quality photos at the L.E.M.U.R. site. I've never seen what I would consider to be a good quality photo.
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I've never seen anything resembling a ghost myself, but have heard too many solid stories from people I trust....

This may just be an amazing coincidence:
10 yrs ago (I was 40yrs old) and a coworker/friend, the same age died unexpectedly for no know cause. Her next door neighbor/best friend saw her car in the driveway when she should have gone on to work and went over to investigate and found her dead in bed with all her work clothes, etc laid out for the next day. It was never discovered why she died. She had only returned to work for 1 or 2 days after a long term disability involving some neurological problems and incidentally hated her job. We spoke after work the day before about alternative work possibilities and she sounded enthusiastic about an idea she had.

So, after I got the word, I was shaken up and late that evening, at home, I walked outside to be alone with my thoughts. The moon was very bright with a silver-blue haze around it that blocked out the stars. I admired it for awhile. I then looked into some dark shadows and told my friend that now she knows what's on the other side and I don't, and wouldn't it be great if she'd clue me in. I hung around imagining she could hear me and after awhile I said goodbye and started walking into the house. I decided to turn around and admire the moon again before going in. Two seconds after looking up I saw the brightest shooting star I've ever seen travel just below the moon through the bright haze. It had a trail that lasted over a second. I had to wonder.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

amar wrote:... how about the mothman, anyone seen him....?
No... but I'm quite familiar with Mathman http://www.mathnews.uwaterloo.ca/Issues ... athman.php
Especially handy to have around when these ghost ly stories just don't seem to add up. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

amar wrote:and how about the mothman, anyone seen him....?
Didn't he try to fly into the sun and get all burned up?
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

jsluder wrote:
amar wrote:and how about the mothman, anyone seen him....?
Didn't he try to fly into the sun and get all burned up?
nope, that was icarus. :D
mothman prophecies http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265349/
movie was quite cool i find.
:)
http://www.prairieghosts.com/moth.html
Alan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

That picture of the Mothman in Amar's post brings an incident to mind.

This happened quite a few years ago as I was spending the first night at a house into which I had just moved.

I was sleeping in the front room on a convertible sofa, the kind that is more like a torture device than a bed. Between that discomfort and the light from a nearby street lamp coming in through the as yet uncovered front window facing the city's main avenue, I was sleeping fitfully at best.

I awakened at one point in stillness that seemed unnatural. There was always a bit of traffic on the avenue even in the middle of the night but I lay there a long while hearing no sound whatsoever feeling increasingly as though I was the only person left in existence.

At last a sound... a faint, distant humming/buzzing that grew gradually louder. Though I do not usually believe in such things I had no doubt at all as I lay there in the darkness that the sound I was hearing was the beating of wings... the wings of the Angel of Death!

My body was rigid with fear and I broke into a cold sweat as I listened to the hum/buzz of those mighty wings beating impossibly fast as that fell creature came closer. Coming for me!

The sound was incredibly loud now and I, without any doubt, knew that the next thing to happen would be this dread entity swooping down on me through the walls and ceiling with it's huge talons outstretched to snatch the soul from me, leaving my cold dead body to be found the next day.

Suddenly, THERE IT WAS!!!... a four wheel drive vehicle, it's big knobby tires humming/buzzing on the asphalt surface of the avenue as it whizzed by.

The discomfort of the bed forgotten for the moment I, in great relief, laughed myself to sleep...
Alan
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Alan wrote:Suddenly, THERE IT WAS!!!... a four wheel drive vehicle, it's big knobby tires humming/buzzing on the asphalt surface of the avenue as it whizzed by.
Was it being driven by amar's pirate? :wink:
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

jsluder wrote:
Alan wrote:Suddenly, THERE IT WAS!!!... a four wheel drive vehicle, it's big knobby tires humming/buzzing on the asphalt surface of the avenue as it whizzed by.
Was it being driven by amar's pirate? :wink:
Well, I did think I had seen a parrot on the shoulder of the driver... but that's silly, eh? :lol:
Alan
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Haven't seen any ghosts, but I've had paranormal experiences, including one definite clairvoyant episode. It was the only one.