Hurricane Dennis

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

A wee chunk of Dennis is now trying to make its way into the Republic of West Ozarkia:

https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:More 'gifts' from the West African coast....

Thanks for this. What an image! I did a blog entry on it at

http://www.righthandpointing.com/notpolitetopoint/
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

DaleWisely wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:More 'gifts' from the West African coast....

Thanks for this. What an image! I did a blog entry on it at

http://www.righthandpointing.com/notpolitetopoint/
Hey... I've got an idea (please remain seated...)!! If we want to rid ourselves of tropical depressions, maybe we could dump tons and tons of Zoloft into the clouds before they get too big. Whaddya think? Huh? Is that brilliant or what? :D
djm

Post by djm »

One of my dumber ideas (random thoughts?) was to send up a large sheet of reflective material that could be expanded/contracted to cool down hot spots before these could turn into hurricanes/typhoons. What a surprise to find that someone had already done serious research into this. Unfortunately, it turned out that the sun is SO much bigger than earth that no size of sheet would ever be big enough, even if it was the diameter of earth, as the sun's energy would still wrap around the edges and hit us enough to cause the same heating. The difference is that I don't charge nearly as much as NASA to think of these things. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I recall that they once tried seeding them. Didn't work.

Well, TD5 is now TS Emily. Sigh. And so it begins again . . . a week to go before this one slams into Florida . . . this one's on the express run to Miami, it looks like.

Unless it does the sashay-through-the-straits thing, in which case anybody is fair game.

BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: Hey... I've got an idea (please remain seated...)!! If we want to rid ourselves of tropical depressions, maybe we could dump tons and tons of Zoloft into the clouds before they get too big. Whaddya think? Huh? Is that brilliant or what? :D
:lol: :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'm glad everyone is OK.
Last edited by Flyingcursor on Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Still haven't heard from Dale . . . <worries & frets> . . . next storm is looking ominous . . . about to be upgraded to a named storm . . . ugh! . . . I feel like a duck in a shooting gallery . . . where on this planet do they NOT have killer weather like this?
Last edited by Lambchop on Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

a fine thread this is. :)
Last edited by amar on Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Ok, so Hurricane Dennis wasn't too big of a deal here in Birmingham, AL, except for scattered tree-related damage and power outages. Our power was out for 12 hours. The storm peaked out Sunday night and then, weirdly, our electricity went out at 9:30 a.m. on Monday, long after the storm was over. I thought this was odd because everyone else who had outages, except our little neighborhood, had the power go out during the storm, of course. Monday night I was taking a walk and saw work crews dealing with our problem, a tree down on powerlines feeding our area. But, I was baffled because I had passed that place Monday morning and didn't remember seeing the tree of the lines. Then, a neighbor told me tonight that the reason our power went out WAS because of the tree and that the tree was down because the homeowner, and owner of said tree, backed into it with her Suburban and knocked it down. So, it turns out our hurricane power outage was completely unrelated to the Hurricane.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

We actually got some rain from this thing. Amazing.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

DaleWisely wrote:... the reason our power went out WAS because of the tree and that the tree was down because the homeowner, and owner of said tree, backed into it with her Suburban and knocked it down. So, it turns out our hurricane power outage was completely unrelated to the Hurricane.
AH, but a good lawyer would make it clear that the reason she backed into that tree is that her nerves were so frayed from the stress of the hurricane, and that she will need to have not only the clean up and repair covered, but therapy for years to come... and someone named Dennis will pay! Voila! Your power outage was a direct result of the hurricane! :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Lambchop wrote:I feel like a duck in a shooting gallery . . . where on this planet do they NOT have killer weather like this?

Ummm.... Utah? :D

(Well, we do have the very rare, rather small tornado, like maybe one in the whole state every one or two years that does any amount of actual damage... and you do have to put up with snow. And there is the potential for a massive earthquake so they say, but it hasen't happend yet, have yet to even feel a tiny rumble right here. *knock on wood*)

:) Sara (who feels badly for those who have to put up with hurricane storm insanity)
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Sunnywindo wrote:
Lambchop wrote:I feel like a duck in a shooting gallery . . . where on this planet do they NOT have killer weather like this?

Ummm.... Utah? :D[/size]

:) Sara (who feels badly for those who have to put up with hurricane storm insanity)
... there was that one tornado in downtown Salt Lake City not too long ago.
scarhand

Post by scarhand »

it was 1999 and one guy died becuz he was outside at a outdoor gear convention and had no clue what to do in a tornado, never having had to deal with one before. i don't think they'd had one here before that in living memory.
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.