music that transfixes you

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Slow movement of Beethoven's quartet in Eb, Op. 127. Give yourself time.

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

'Far Away' by Bernardo Rubaja on his New Land cd. Part of the tune is lead by bass guitar- the rhythm, the sound quality, oh man...

Jerry O'Sullivan playing O'Carolan's 'Farewell to Music' on whistle w/ harp accompaniment. Now, that's magic.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Transfixed is a bit strong for my experiences, but I would say that everyonce in a while you hear something very different and beautiful which defies a category or the limits of whatever style its coming from.

I know that many Irish make fun of him and he is somewhat of a character, but Brian Kennedy has a tune on one of the Eist compilations that is a "drop everything and get goosebumps" kind of tunes. It's a duo with a female singer, has a basic melody that starts off like an old Baroque aria but reaches into my heart like few other tunes. It's in Irish so I have no idea what he is singing about but it's very powerful nonetheless to me. When I have played it for others, they have also appreciated it...

There is also a strange little instrumental in Donal Lunny's Millenium Suite that has a similar effect. Its whistle (or even perhaps re#$der) with harp and its so very beautiful.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Once in a while, I get that exact experience. You just have to stop whatever you are doing and listen, transfixed. Then begins the mad search for the recording, then listen and listen and listen over and over again.

The following spring immediately to mind-

The entire soundtrack to Amadeus

Gaudete from Below the Salt by Steeleye Span

Puccini's Turandot- Nessun Dorma performed by Pavarotti

Theme from Harry's Game by Clannad

Jerry O'Sullivan playing Colonel Fraser

Simon Fraser University Pipe Band at the 2001 World Championships
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

koyanuscatzi... found out how it is really supposed to be spelled... :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Happens all the time. That's why I don't listen to music at work. I find myself listening to all the different parts of the music and not concentrating on what else I'm doing.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

cowtime wrote: Gaudete from Below the Salt by Steeleye Span

Ooh! Those choices should make the trad purists here cringe! :P

Anyone up for some Solas? Fairport Convention? Eileen Ivers? Riverdance? Enya? :P :P I like 'em all! :wink:

(I think I just got banned from the ITM forum!) :twisted:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Yann-Fanch Kemener and Didier Squiban performing Enez Eusa. It's just a voice and a piano but I still keep finding new complexities in it.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Hmm...
I tranced out once to Erik Setis (sp?) while listening to the CBC Radio 2 in my car and almost ended up in a ditch...

There are certain things I can not listen to in the car, because I end up paying far more attention to the music than the road...
Goldberg Variations
Enigma
"The Wall" (Pink Floyd, as if you didn't know, if you don't know, shame on you!)

sometimes ceratin Jazz artists will make me zone out in the car too.
If I listen to music in one of the other languages that I speak, I tend to pay more attention to the road...guess my brain works harder or some such thing.
Gypsy Kings, Mana, Super Furry Animals (in Welsh, not that stuff in English).
My wife even thought it would be funny to buy me a Cypress Hill CD in spanish as a gag...for as much as I dislike the genre, I must admit that I was highly entertained.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

BrassBlower wrote:
cowtime wrote: Gaudete from Below the Salt by Steeleye Span

Ooh! Those choices should make the trad purists here cringe! :P

Anyone up for some Solas? Fairport Convention? Eileen Ivers? Riverdance? Enya? :P :P I like 'em all! :wink:

(I think I just got banned from the ITM forum!) :twisted:

While they may not be ITM (actually Gaudete goes way way farther back,so maybe it would be considered :P Pre-Trad?), they still can stop me in my tracks after all these years and many listenings.

Hey, but this is the pub, you know, where anything goes................... :o
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
djm

Post by djm »

Tyler wrote:Pink Floyd, as if you didn't know, if you don't know, shame on you!
Ha! Try driving while listening to "One of These Days" from the Meddle album and not end up with a speeding ticket! :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

anniemcu wrote:koyanuscatzi... found out how it is really supposed to be spelled... :)
I plugged that word into Google and found a bunch of pages in German. Are you talking about the Philip Glass music? The spelling I found was Koyaanisqatsi. I wonder how the music would sound without the movie. I'm not sure I'd like it but it's very effective with the movie. For music by a so-called minimalist composer I like Steve Reich's Tehillim.

Steve
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Whenever you'd hear rockets roaring or volcanos erupting on Mystery Science Theater they'd say "Koyaanisqatsi..." Took me years to figure out what the hell that meant!
The Lever du jour section from Ravel's Daphnis et chloé always sends shivers up my spine, etc. Or Seamus Ennis playing An Leanbh Si.
I was listening this morning to the FARNE website, Billy Pigg playing various tunes, the streaming audio cut out while he was wailing away at the Swallow's Tail, it was like being punched in the stomach!
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Oh yes! Music has such a power to it, the way it can effect a person on so many levels.

There are way too many songs which have "transfixed me"... and like Cowtime said, you just HAVE to stop and listen, hoping like mad that you will be able to locate your own copy of the recording. The intensity with most though seems to lessen a bit after the first, oh... five dozen listens, but never fully goes away.

The one which seems to stay at the top of the heap with me is Cannon in D by Pachabel (a paticular version in piano that I have and a paticular version in strings/violin that I've never been able to locate which haunts me still.)

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

cowtime wrote: While they may not be ITM (actually Gaudete goes way way farther back,so maybe it would be considered :P Pre-Trad?), they still can stop me in my tracks after all these years and many listenings.

Hey, but this is the pub, you know, where anything goes................... :o
I would have to say I agree with you completely! :D

It was stuff like Span, Clannad, and Fairport that got me into British Isles trad (and I've read that Altan would agree). :wink:

However, it's their pre-trad, proto-trad, neo-trad and non-trad that gets my attention! :)
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo