Hurricane Dennis

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

scarhand wrote:even if y'all did have basements, if you went into them you'd drown from the high water, wouldn't you?

keep safe, all you in the path of the storm. i'm sorry he upgraded himself back to a 4. that was cheating! keep us posted . . .

Yup, that's what would happen. We'd drown.

I was hoping it wouldn't reintensify. Seems a shame, and it is. However, if it hadn't lost intensity crossing Cuba, it might be making landfall as a Cat 5.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

Whistling Pops wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:
jbarter wrote:When is it due to get to you Dale?
Sunday night/Monday morning. We'll likely have power outages. The last one put us in the dark for 5 days.

Dale
Dale,

How close are you to North Port? I have to go there Tuesday. :o

It's about 50 minutes from here.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

They're telling us the highest winds for us are going to hit at about 9:00pm central time--about an hour from now. So far, it could be so much worse, even this far from the coast.

Meanwhile...

My mother was admitted into hospital to an ICU. They're not sure what the problem is at this hour. Very fast pulse, low BP, lightly elevated white count, abd pain. She had an emergency appendectomy about a month ago that was done with laproscope and it went well.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Keeping you and your mother in my thoughts, Dale. Batten down the hatches!
rebelpiper

Post by rebelpiper »

dale, i think we might have missed the worst of it. my lights blinked twice tonight but no power loss. i was kind of hoping to lose the big pine tree in the back :D ..........i hope your mom is doing OK
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Play the Hurricane Reel, Trent. The UPs should just about play themselves.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Ok. It's Monday, 03:20 CST. Dennis' eye has been onshore for ~13 hours.
I saw that the northern part of the storm had already covered Alabama around noon. It's now centered 32N, 87W. Right on the border of Alabama and Tennesee. It looks like Missy will get that rain afterall. Hopefully we get some too.

How's things in C&F Central?

JES and Lambchop. I presume you've survived?
Last edited by Flyingcursor on Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Flyingcursor wrote:
JES and Lambchop. I presume you've survived? Peggy lives near Lambchop too. I wonder if she'll pop in for a visit.
Apart from a few scattered tornados, the interior of Central Florida seems to have had an OK time of it. However, Tropical Depression Emily is forming out in the Atlantic and is expected to target the Carribean and Florida... again. It's going to be a back to back season for hurricanes.... *sigh*.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

DaleWisely wrote:They're telling us the highest winds for us are going to hit at about 9:00pm central time--about an hour from now. So far, it could be so much worse, even this far from the coast.

Meanwhile...

My mother was admitted into hospital to an ICU. They're not sure what the problem is at this hour. Very fast pulse, low BP, lightly elevated white count, abd pain. She had an emergency appendectomy about a month ago that was done with laproscope and it went well.
Wishing your mother well, Dale. Sounds like internal bleeding to me, though I'm a first aider, but no doctor. Maybe the surgery stitches have opened up inside a little. If she's in hospital she's in good hands.

Hoping the hurricane passed you by with minimal damage.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Joseph E. Smith

More 'gifts' from the West African coast....

Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

It's dark and rainy and gusty in Birmingham and there's not a better cliche than "dodged the bullet." Still a lot of power outages but we've got electricity at home (flickering here and there) and at the office. So, it sounds like pretty much everywhere the problems weren't nearly as bad as feared.

Awaiting an update on the Undisputed Mom.

D
Joseph E. Smith

DaleWisely wrote:
Awaiting an update on the Undisputed Mom.

D
I hope all is well with her. I will keep her in my thoughts.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Glad to hear you're ok, Dale. :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:JES and Lambchop. I presume you've survived? Peggy lives near Lambchop too. I wonder if she'll pop in for a visit.
I survived quite nicely, thank you. My car this morning was plastered with salt and sand. Had I thought ahead yesterday, I would have moved it out where it could get rained on.

Some of my colleagues weren't so fortunate. One lost two sections of her roof. Several others lost bits of roof, fences, branches, and entire trees.

I am avoiding the atmosphere of ill humor which pervades the vicinity of a certain sailboat owner. (Uh oh!)
Last edited by Lambchop on Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Lambchop wrote:....It's a shame there aren't some single Chiff-dudes around here, because she'd do someone proud, I think.
Let's not get started with the dating referrals... on second thought...
;-)