Whistles in Pop Music?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dhanson

Whistles in Pop Music?

Post by dhanson »

I'm interested in collecting a list of pop songs that have whistle pieces in them, mainly because it's nice to take a break from the ITM stuff and just relax and play along with a CD.

Would anyone like to contribute to a list of songs that fit this category? For example:

La Eile, on Don Henley's first album "I Can't Stand Still" is a beautiful whistle piece written and played by Paddy Moloney. It's quite easy to learn, as well.

Fish and Whistle by John Prine has a great high whistle accompiament.

Any others?
feadogin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by feadogin »

I always enjoyed Kate Bush's "The Sensual World."

Justine
khl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

There was this thread earlier on that had a number of suggestions that might fit what you're looking for:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

Keith
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

Don't know if it's already been mentioned, but Jethro Tull's The Whistler is a fab track! Just a Generation high D with some half-holing.

For more mainstream try out Bryan Adam's MTV unplugged album featuring low whistle. Sounds like an Overton to me...

Troy Donockley (amazing whistle, pipes, bouzouki player) has done some work with Midge Ure amongst others. Check out troydonockley.co.uk

Parkwood
dhanson

Post by dhanson »

khl wrote:There was this thread earlier on that had a number of suggestions that might fit what you're looking for:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

Keith
Thanks. That's a very good thread. I actually saw it when I was searching before I posted, but got the impression that it was more of a "what songs can you play along with on the whistle" kind of thread rather than, "what pop songs have whistle parts in them". But now I see it's a bit of both.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Indigo Girls, Closer to Fine (I believe, anyway).
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

Carbon Leaf - a sort of Neo-pop (mix of pop, bluegrass, "celtic", etc. - mostly pop though) group from the SE Coast (Virginia I think). Their newest disk Indian Summer doesn't have much whistle, but some of their older stuff does. A pretty good group - a little too stuck in the late 80's for my taste, but better than most of what passes for pop music today.
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
AiglosCelt
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Post by AiglosCelt »

Modest Mouse, "The good times are killing me"...very good implementation, though not very interesting technique or skill...
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

If you want a good non-trad play-along, I would suggest Hugo Montenegro's album of "spaghetti western" themes. All of the tunes contain lots of whistle-y type stuff and were mastered in tune. The only problem is that there are lots of half-step modulations, so you will need to have at least two whistles ready to go on every tune.

Two others that probably fit into this same category are Finbar Furey's "Lonesome Boatman" and Lothlorien's "Ghostwood". Of course, I haven't mastered any of the tunes mentioned here yet. :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

The Corrs.

:twisted:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
kenny

whistle on pop records

Post by kenny »

"The Hothouse Flowers"
Paul Simon
Kathy Mattea
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Aren't there whistles in Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville", or am I remembering wrong?
I know there's some kinda squeezebox (possibly a concertina) in the bridge.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

fearfaoin wrote:Aren't there whistles in Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville", or am I remembering wrong?
I know there's some kinda squeezebox (possibly a concertina) in the bridge.
False Echoes - Jimmy Buffett

Gaelic Storm
Great Big Sea
Ceili Rain
Afrocelts
Capercaillie
Blackmore's Night
Clannad
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The Pogues
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
Ibai

Post by Ibai »

Yeah, right, Flogging Molly are a decent successor of the Pogues, but the Murphy's are no punk-folk band to me, they're more in the SH-Oi scene