Hurricane Dennis

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Well, we're getting a piece of Christine right now, sorry it didn't go Missy's way, if they're wanting rain. :roll: Hope you all fare well in the path of Dennis!!

Robin
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

It's just about 40 miles off the coast of Key West at 3:30am.
Dale The forecast looks like a possible shift more to the West than the original forecast... This is a good thing for you.
scarhand

Post by scarhand »

i work for an airline and i've now just heard that dennis has been downgraded to a 2
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

rh wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote: I am willing to bet somebody else's money that Dennis turns east, northeast after passing over Cuba.
why do you say that?
... because I am betting with somebody else's money... of course. :D
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

OK, if you're all wondering where this tornado was . . . it was right where Joseph drew that X on the map. :o :o
Tornado Warning

RUSKIN - 06:30 AM - Saturday - 07/09/05
WFUS52 KTBW 091029
TORTBW
FLC103-091100-
/O.NEW.KTBW.TO.W.0015.050709T1030Z-050709T1100Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL
630 AM EDT SAT JUL 9 2005

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RUSKIN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
SOUTHERN PINELLAS COUNTY IN FLORIDA.

* UNTIL 700 AM EDT

* AT 630 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
TORNADO 7 MILES SOUTHEAST OF SAINT PETE BEACH...MOVING WEST AT 40
MPH.

* THE TORNADO WILL AFFECT...
GULFPORT BY 630 AM EDT.
SAINT PETE BEACH BY 635 AM EDT.
MADEIRA BEACH BY 640 AM EDT.

THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM! MOVE INTO THE INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST
FLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING...AWAY FROM WINDOWS. COVER YOUR HEAD AND
BODY WITH PILLOWS OR BLANKETS.

I was still listening to this announcement when I heard the tornado . . . :o :o
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Lambchop wrote: I was still listening to this announcement when I heard the tornado . . . :o :o
That's gotta be disturbing.
Reasonable person
Walden
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Lambchop wrote: I was still listening to this announcement when I heard the tornado . . . :o :o
I am glad that you are OK Lambchop. It seems that the tornado has done little damage beyond a little roof-ripping... at least that is the report from Bay News 9. You can bet I'll be keeping my eye on Pinpoint Doppler 9000 most of this day!!!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh Lamby! You poor thing! :o Tornadoes on top of hurricances, I just don't know what to think. JES, don't run outside if the tornado comes! I guess you guys don't have basements down there but try to stay safe.

I might be wrong, but it sounded like Cuba got hit pretty hard all along the length of the island. So I'm sorry for what they are going through.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

missy wrote:Joseph and Brassblower - you are both SICK!!!! :D

Missy, I think a more accurate term would closer along the lines of crazy, insane, out of your noggin, a few fries short of a happy meal.... :wink:

Really though... always admired the tenacity of those who live in such areas where tornados and hurricanes threaten their homes and their lives, yet so often they stay, rebuild and move on with life. Don't know if I could handle it very well.... Guess that's one reason why I prefer to live in the center of a large mountain range.

Lambchop... that tornado thing is totally freaky, glad you're okay.

:o Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
I am glad that you are OK Lambchop. It seems that the tornado has done little damage beyond a little roof-ripping... at least that is the report from Bay News 9. You can bet I'll be keeping my eye on Pinpoint Doppler 9000 most of this day!!!
We seem to have had a number of tornadoes this morning. Cynth, they are a normal component of hurricanes. The storms in the "bands" on the outside, which can cover hundreds of miles, have rotational motion, huge thunderstorms, and thus spawn tornadoes.

Mine was apparently a waterspout that formed off of Eggmont Key--not so bad. The one from the warning was a little too far north--it touched down over by US19 and Central Avenue. One in Brandon did a good bit of damage to sheds and a roof. And, of course, several trailer parks got creamed.

Glad I live in a poured-concrete building. With Miami-Dade--rated storm shutters. Even so, they appeared to be pulled away from the wall. They bulged outward--a disconcerting effect if you've only seen them vibrate a bit even in a Cat I storm. Made this ominous little noise . . . the kind of noise I would think shutters would make right before their bolts got sucked out of the wall. I had visions of the windows exploding outwards.

That's when I sprinted for the bath.

During the last storm, Joseph, I sat watching the Doppler as they identified and tracked tornadoes in your area. "OK, it's running 50 yards parallel to US-whatever just south of I-4." "It'll be coming up on the intersection of Lithia-Pinecrest in 3 minutes . . . " "Here's one that just formed! Looks like it's going to go west . . . my God! Isn't that where the day care center is?!!!" It was compelling! I couldn't stop watching. Like gawking at a traffic accident.

Right now, it's not too bad. It rains intermittently, not as much sideways, and palm tree fronds are waving about freely, occasionally blowing completely in one direction, stretched out fully.

It's also only 83 degrees, so I'm about to go out for a walk.

Here is a link to the radar Joseph has been watching. It's especially nice because you can focus down onto individual localities (I'm Pinellas, and I think Joseph is Polk). Here's the link to the whole-state radar . . . you can see Dennis and you can see the feeder bands, which are now over the northern part of Florida. Click to animate the radar, and you can see the rotational motion of the storm. The main body of the storm is that little round, innocent-looking thing off in the west. All the stuff to the east of it is storm-related, though.

http://www.baynews9.com/Doppler9000.html?StateDoppler
Last edited by Lambchop on Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

All I can think of is this guy

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I.D.10-t wrote:All I can think of is this guy

Yes. Unfortunately, this "Dennis" isn't going to have any of The Menace's delightful joy.

I hope all you guys up there have made preparations for staying safe! I'd be moving inland as far as Kentucky, I believe.

Hmmm . . . perhaps we should organize a C&F Hurricane Party!
djm

Post by djm »

Check out Izzarina's latest avatar. You might want to invest in a pair of those. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:Check out Izzarina's latest avatar. You might want to invest in a pair of those. :D

djm
Oh, sheesh! Took me a minute, but you're right! Maybe Izz can loan Dale her pair!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Hurricane Dennis

Post by anniemcu »

DaleWisely wrote:I'm nervous about Hurricane Dennis. ....
Keep us in your thoughts and/or prayers.
Here's parying that Dale Force One doesn't meet Gale Force anything... stay safe and reasonably dry, and as others have requested - send some our way!!!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com