As God is my witness, I did not know peacocks could fly . .

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

As God is my witness, I did not know peacocks could fly . .

Post by Lambchop »

Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Sure they can fly. How you think they get up top of the creche where Christ was born?

Adoration of the Child with Saints and Donors, Biagio d'Antonio da Firenze, 1476, Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa
Reasonable person
Walden
emmline

Post by emmline »

Walden, just how big is this hat you pull things out of?
Random notes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Random notes »

emmline wrote:Walden, just how big is this hat you pull things out of?
Hat?
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Random notes wrote:
emmline wrote:Walden, just how big is this hat you pull things out of?
Hat?
In this case, I just recalled seeing the painting
in the art museum, and made the connection.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I did know that peacocks could fly.

But this is what got me:
Startled by a peck to her palm, Elnita Thacker fell flat on her back, according to her lawsuit.
I think if you get so startled by things that you fall over you had best stay at home.
missy

Post by missy »

There is a large tree outside of the restaurant at the Cincinnati Zoo. It is a well known fact that you do NOT go under that tree anytime after dusk unless you want peacock poop on you - they all roost in that tree.
And they ARE Nasty (think colorful Canadian geese). The males especially have an attitude, and will display and come after you for unknown reasons. I have no idea if they have actually bitten someone, but all that rustling of feathers can be a bit startling.

However, to say that the birds can cause someone that much "harm" is a little silly.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

In America you want one million for a peck! I was just reversed into by a car, as I was shaken but not seriously hurt so I just continued walking and got on with my day. The thought of a lawsuit never entered my head. The driver was shaken as well, I'm sure they will be more careful in future. We all make mistakes; thankfully we are not sued every time!
Why don’t US judges lock people up for wasting court time with stupid lawsuits? Only an idiot approaches wild animals (however cute they look) without expert knowledge and then is shocked when they behave unpredictably. If she didn't know they could fly, how did she know if they were safe? If she didn’t know if they were safe, why was she sticking her hand near them? :x THere are wild geese and swans in the park near me - I've never been anywhere near them - its called common sense.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Denny

Post by Denny »

The Chinese bred peafowl to guard the palaces.

The females are peahens. You do not mess with a peahen that has chicks!

Roosting where the night predators can not easily take you as dinner is a good trait.

If they are nasty it is most likely environmental.

Denny
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

perrins57 wrote: Only an idiot approaches wild animals (however cute they look) without expert knowledge and then is shocked when they behave unpredictably.
When we were at Rocky Mtn Natl park in Colorado a bunch of people were standing on the side of the road watching a majestic herd of elk. Some bozo decided to try to get close to "feed" them. The Park rangers almost threw them out of the park. What a riot.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Denny

Post by Denny »

It is hard to overestimate the stupidity of man!

Most animals are reasonably safe...if you stay out of their personal space.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I was chased and nipped by some geese who were very eager, apparently, for the food I was giving them. I dropped the bread bag and ran---- to the great hilarity of the small brave child I was with. I really don't approach large birds anymore and if one approaches me I keep walking in the other direction until it is happy. They are animals and they need to protect themselves. Geese do a darn good job, I must say. :lol:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Cynth wrote: I really don't approach large birds anymore
I know the feeling...

Had a few bad experiences with large Birds..

Stronger than poor little me :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

When we lived in South Bend, we would visit the South Bend zoo.

I befriended the emus after noticing there were no dandelions on their side of the fence, but plenty of dandelions on my side of the fence.

If you offered a dandilion leaf through the chain link fence, they would come over and eagerly take the greens. It was fun being eye to eye with such a big bird who was very interested in you, but it would have been scary without the protection of the fence. If you offered them anything else but dandelion greens, they would ignore you.

I have since encountered emus at another zoo, but they didn't show any interest in dandelion greens I offered them. I would guess that either there were enough dandelions inside their enclosure to satisfy them or there was something else in their feed that served the same purpose nutritionally.

Best wishes,
Jerry
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

perrins57 wrote:Why don’t US judges lock people up for wasting court time with stupid lawsuits?
Because too much money is tied up with the stupid lawsuits....they don't have the money to lock them up anymore

:wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.