music that transfixes you

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

music that transfixes you

Post by Eldarion »

Does anyone have the experience of just suddenly being spellbound by music, you drop everything you were doing and just suddenly sit still listening to the waves of sounds that come out of your speakers? And then you just play the track again and again, drinking in every detail and emotion. While your chores just wait in the background to be done. What song/music was that?

(I was thinking of limiting this to genres other than western art music, as that might be a bit too easy.. also cos I'm in the mood for recommendations of songs I've not been exposed to)

The song that recently transfixed me was Placebo's "Without You I'm Nothing", they also have another version of that song with David Bowie on it, but that had a fade ending which isn't as nice. Some time back it was John Coltrane's "I Want to Talk About You". I'm just getting myself exposed to David Bowie's music too, some interesting stuff there.

While we're at it can we request for the Undisputed's current playlist? :)
Last edited by Eldarion on Apr 23, 2012 18:14; edited 100 times in total
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

there was this one time some months back when i was driving and listening to McGoldrick's Fused cd... nice driving music i hadn't heard in a while... but when Karan Casey came on singing Donal Óg i had to pull over in the nearest parking lot. then i listened to it again. i was actually in kind of a hurry but i just had to stop and listen to it and then again.

i get that periodically, but usually it is the older stuff, Monroe or Robert Johnson, just something really compelling comes out and i have to drop whatever it is i'm doing and just listen.
there is no end to the walking
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

"Last edited by Eldarion on Apr 25, 2005 1:34 pm; edited 100 times in total"

Yes, but music is nothing compared to your edit line. Are you a time traveler? :)

I mostly listen to live music of local artists, or my own compositions, so of course it is that music that transfixes me. Unfortunately, I doubt any of the songs will anyone ever have heard of. Sigh.

What is the coolest is when my own live performance creates that effect on an audience. It is a feeling of being plugged into the universe, and sometimes I tremble with that power flowing thru me. Unfortunately, it loses much of its effect when recorded. Many other whistle players would consider me average at best when hearing my recordings. Perhaps, it is one of those "you have to be there" experiences.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

I've had that experince several times. I remember having it when I first saw the clip of Eva Cassidy singing somewhere over the rainbow. I had never heard of Eva, hated SOTR with a passion and was walking out of the room when her singing captivated me and made me turn around stand still and listen. (well not quite true, I also frantically forced a video into the machine to tape it)
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
ISU Trout Bum

Post by ISU Trout Bum »

Astral Weeks by "Van the Man". I have literally listened to 1000s of times, and each time I catch myself being caught up in it - goose bumps and all.

I once heard Carlos Santana say in an interview that (and I paraphrase), "The right kind of music rewires your inner circuts - makes things reconnect, or feel like they are connecting for the first time . . . it is sort of a 'higher' expericence . . . mystical. It literally rewires your body."

Too be completely honest, I laughed like crazy when he said that, but I think I now understand what he means. Who is laughing now? Carlos I think!
http://northwaystringedinstruments.blogspot.com/

"Sine Cerere et Baccho friget Venus" - Terence, Eunuchus, IV.v
emmline

Post by emmline »

I think I've said this before, not sure.
It's a version of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" recorded by Ladysmith Black Mombazo. It's almost a capella, and the layers of voices are, indeed, mesmerizing.
Also, "Tommy's Tarbukas," which is on a cd called The Road North by Alasdair Fraser and Paul Machlis. Lovely syncopation.
Many things, including "La Vie en Rose," sung by Madeleine Peyroux.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

First time this happened to me was years ago while I was listening to Bach's Fifth Brandenburg on the radio. This is maybe my alltime favorite piece in the world and it was an old recording I'd never heard before featuring Rudolph Serkin on piano (not the usual harpsichord). There is a very long solo cadenza at the end of the first movement, and Serkin just sort of waded gently into it. Gradually, so gradually you hardly noticed, he built up the dynamic tension of the music. At one point I put down the watering can I was using on my houseplants and sat down on the couch transfixed. By the time the cadenza ended, the energy of the playing was so intense that I was literally in tears. Astounding.
Apparently I'm not alone in this. I later read that when Serkin came to the first rehearsal of this piece with the Pablo Casals Festival Orchestra, the orchestra was so moved by his playing that at the end of the cadenza where the orchestra is supposed to come back for a recap of the theme and ending, they spontaneously broke into applause!

The other time I remember this was while I was listening to NPR while driving up the Taconic Parkway. This amazing a capella rendition of the Beatles' Helter Skelter came on. I literally had to pull off the road so I could fully concentrate on the music. The group was The Bobs (www.thebobs.com), and I've become a huge fan. Their personell has changed over the years, but they're still fantastic. Check out their albums and even better hear them live if at all possible.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

One piece of Music guaranteed to bring me to a standstill and abandon any pretence of working round the house is Rodrigos Concerto de Arunjuez. One of the most sublime and uplifting works I have ever heard.

Another workstopper would be Nusrat Fateh Ali Khans work alongside Bally Sagoo or Peter Gabriel.To me this music is what religious music is all about..triumphant, ecstatic and not in the least bit solemn or mournful.

I have a DVD of Tom Waits doing a live version of Tom Trauberts Blues and I have been known to put it on repeat and just savour every note time and time again - only when Mrs. D. has gone to bed I must admit :wink:

I could go on for hours here but that will do for now.....

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
djm

Post by djm »

There was a sort of blue grass/ rock group called Heartsfield in the 70s that did a cut called "Racing the Sun". The cut was unusual for them in general, but they did a a sort of call/response guitar break in the middle between a couple of guitars. One of the guitars has a tone that just squeezes my heart everytime I hear it. Its sort of like running it through a Fender BassMaster with overdrive. Incredible tone.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

There's so much that falls into this category I couldn't possibly do anything more than list a few that come to mind now. I'll list CDs and then songs without pretending that the songs are once off gems (they're not) nor that I couldn't have been more selective with whole CDs.

Albums
Dennis McGee —The Complete Early Recordings
Baaba Maal — Djam Leilli
Carmen Linares — La Luna en el Rio
Camaran de la Isla — Soy Gitano
The Congos — The Heart of the Congos.
Rosa Eskenazi — Rembetissa 1933-1936
Arizona Dranes — 1926-1928

Songs and Tunes
Blind Willie Johnson — Dark Was the Night, Cold was the Grave; Motherless Children
Skip James —Devil Got My Woman
Varttina — Kyla Vuotti Uutta Kuuta
Eric Donaldson — Cherry Oh Baby
Muddy Waters — Louisiana Blues
John Martyn — May You Never
Rev. Utah Smith — Two Wings
Mac-Talla — Griogal Cridhe
mignal

Post by mignal »

Jarrett/Petri and the Bach sonatas especially the adagio from BWV1034 -rather special but then again so much of Bach is. Yes, it is played on Recorder and if I receive volleys of abuse I expect Paul to come my rescue.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Wombat: Love your inclusion of John Martyn-truly an inspired (by drink? :D )artist.I saw him a few years back on his 'Sunshine Boys tour' with the GREAT Danny Thompson on Bass (one of my all time fave British Musicians).
Dubh:-Timely that you mentioned Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan-one of the worlds great singers (RIP).After the terrible events this week in London,it's important to remember that Islam is in essence a gentle religion-and that the evil,cruel,misguided monsters who carried out this deed are no followers of that creed.
Robert Wyatt's album 'Rock Bottom' (made shortly after he'd become partially parylysed after breaking his back) has always a particularly inspiring work to me.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

kevin m. wrote:Wombat: Love your inclusion of John Martyn-truly an inspired (by drink? :D )artist.I saw him a few years back on his 'Sunshine Boys tour' with the GREAT Danny Thompson on Bass (one of my all time fave British Musicians).
Dubh:-Timely that you mentioned Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan-one of the worlds great singers (RIP).After the terrible events this week in London,it's important to remember that Islam is in essence a gentle religion-and that the evil,cruel,misguided monsters who carried out this deed are no followers of that creed.
Robert Wyatt's album 'Rock Bottom' (made shortly after he'd become partially parylysed after breaking his back) has always a particularly inspiring work to me.
I really like Rock Bottom too but I think it falls into a slightly different category for me. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan probably should be on everybody's list; I just can't imagine how anyone could be unmoved by him. Another great singer from the Isamic world is (was) Oum Khalsoum.

I find it interesting how many choices by others could easily have made my list.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Yes,I've seen film clips of Oum Khalsoum,but I have to say ashamedly,that I haven't heard a great deal of her music.
I know that she had a long,and illustrious musical career,and ended up an international Middle-eastern cultural Heroine.
How's about Muhammed Raffi?
Maybe no 'Great' singer in 'our','Classical' tradition- but, as one of the GREAT Indian 'playback' singers,as a Muslim,he must have played a part in bringing down the walls between Muslims and Hindus in the secular unease that has marked Indian history since 1947.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Well now...

This is going to cost me but, forgive my ignorance, I will check out Oum Khalsoum and Muhammed Raffi..
Nothing in the world - apart from ITM :wink: - sounds as good as the joyous,celebratory music of a tradition which embraces Peace and Love in the way that Sufi Muslim music does...

I've had a good drink or three..so I better not mention Richard Thompsons alleged inspirations towards Art and Beauty...

'Nuff said,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats