Explosions in London

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

Was speaking with Thom until I had to get ready for work this morning, trying to make sense of it all. Told me he was on his way to see relatives in Surrey instead of going to work.... I dont know what he meant by that, he didn't really elaborate, but I take it to be another story of good luck or provedence or what have you.
I hope those of you residing or with friends and relatives in London are ok. I send my love and prayers to you and hope that all is well with you in the days to come.
After 9/11 many of us were forced to confront the reality that life is so very fragile and loss can come in a flash. We get so wrapped up in every day stuff that we forget to tell those we care most about that we love them - every day - no matter what. The curse of 9/11 for me is that I'm now always aware of that lives can shatter in an instant. Terrorism, car crash, crazy random violence. It doesn't weight down my life, but it's always there. I wish it wasn't. The good part is that I think I'm more tolerant of petty personal annoyances. I go to more of those family events I used to try to skip. They can still be tedious, but it's worth it. I understand why Thom went to see his family today. Tell the ones you love how you feel every time they walk out the door.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

London's a place we can relate to. We watch your tv shows, movies, speak the same language (mostly) and have countless relatives and friends there right now. England and Ireland are places in "Europe" that are not completely uh... foreign to us. I'm sure the reaction in Australia and New Zealand is the same (although I'd be interested in knowing what it is like in non-English members of the Commonwealth).

Also, at least in Canada, it makes you think that Osama's list is being checked off, and we're the only ones left.

Oh, and this morning in the paper they had a big picture of Blair with the title "English Oak" and three quotes. One from Churchill during WWII, one from Blair's speech yesterday and one from a random Londoner, "So up yours, terrorists." :)
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I spent five weeks in UK in 1985, three of them in the countryside, two in London itself. Even though there are celebrated differences, this was the way that cemented my understanding of the cultural characteristics that the US and Britain share. Above and beyond that, people were very nice and helpful everywhere we went. I feel its the friendliest place I have ever visited and have fond wishes to return.

Here is a vignette of something I experienced: while visiting Hadrian's Wall way up North, we went into a pub recommended by our B&B proprietors, which is how we planned each evening's meal, as we traveled around.

We went inside a well-lit friendly place and people-watched as we dined there, rather than in the attached restaurant. The people seemed genuinely glad to see each other. Someone put a coin in the jukebox and started playing an American country song. The blonde server looked liked she could have come from my home town. We sat and enjoyed our ale and steaks. A fellow who looked like the lord of the local manor sat there, with his huntin' dog at his side and wearing a woolen sweater (with the elbow patches), smokin his pipe and making friendly conversation.

THe juxtaposition of the country music, the look of the people (we were in the Border area, where so many Americans originate) and the friendliness reminded me of America in many subtle ways.

You may have bigger philosophical and historical issues with the Brits but they most certainly are our cousins in spirit and culture and its no surprise that notwithstanding 1776-1785 and 1812-14, we are permanent friends.

I continue to mourn their losses.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

...speaking of compassion, what's with this?
  • Hotels 'cash in' on bomb attacks
    Friday, 8 July, 2005, 12:55

Prices at a number of London's hotels increased by more than double on Thursday night, the BBC has learned.

'£250 room'

A Trading Standards Institute spokesman said hotel profiteering after a bombing attack was reprehensible.

With the transport networks down and no way of returning home, one businessman from Manchester told the BBC he had paid £250 for an £80 room.

Commuters said they were appalled, and thousands chose to walk for hours to reach home rather than stay the night in a hotel. - BBC News
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

The Weekenders wrote:I spent five weeks in UK in 1985, three of them in the countryside, two in London itself. Even though there are celebrated differences, this was the way that cemented my understanding of the cultural characteristics that the US and Britain share. Above and beyond that, people were very nice and helpful everywhere we went. I feel its the friendliest place I have ever visited and have fond wishes to return.

Here is a vignette of something I experienced: while visiting Hadrian's Wall way up North, we went into a pub recommended by our B&B proprietors, which is how we planned each evening's meal, as we traveled around.

We went inside a well-lit friendly place and people-watched as we dined there, rather than in the attached restaurant. The people seemed genuinely glad to see each other. Someone put a coin in the jukebox and started playing an American country song. The blonde server looked liked she could have come from my home town. We sat and enjoyed our ale and steaks. A fellow who looked like the lord of the local manor sat there, with his huntin' dog at his side and wearing a woolen sweater (with the elbow patches), smokin his pipe and making friendly conversation.

THe juxtaposition of the country music, the look of the people (we were in the Border area, where so many Americans originate) and the friendliness reminded me of America in many subtle ways.

You may have bigger philosophical and historical issues with the Brits but they most certainly are our cousins in spirit and culture and its no surprise that notwithstanding 1776-1785 and 1812-14, we are permanent friends.

I continue to mourn their losses.
Very well explained, Weekenders. You've explained some feelings that I am quite unable to do at the moment.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Lorenzo wrote:...speaking of compassion, what's with this?
  • Hotels 'cash in' on bomb attacks
    Friday, 8 July, 2005, 12:55

Prices at a number of London's hotels increased by more than double on Thursday night, the BBC has learned.

'£250 room'

A Trading Standards Institute spokesman said hotel profiteering after a bombing attack was reprehensible.

With the transport networks down and no way of returning home, one businessman from Manchester told the BBC he had paid £250 for an £80 room.

Commuters said they were appalled, and thousands chose to walk for hours to reach home rather than stay the night in a hotel. - BBC News
I heard about this this morning. I guess there are some people/companies that will happily make a quick profit out of anyone's misfortune.

They have also failed to realise the benefit of good publicity. Sainsbury's and M&S who have shown the proper spirit in recent tragedies have no doubt boosted their customer base as a result.

My feeling is that the people who reckon they paid over the odds should send photocopies of their invoices or credit card statements to the national newspapers (Sun, Times, Daily Telegraph etc), and name and shame the hotels involved. If the public then boycotted those establishments, maybe they would go out of business, as they deserve. Oddly, the only chain named so far in the article is the Thistle Group, who are already massively expensive in my experience.

I was prepared to walk for two hours to get home, until I was given a lift by a colleague. People from further afield didn't have that option.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks, Ty.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

No, thank you! I've been so wrapped up in grief for my friend who died and then this happens...
I usually find myself very able to compose myself, but in the last few days it has been tough.
The light banter in other areas of the forum has helped immensely!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Just want to say that my heart goes out to all the families that have suffered grevious losses and injuries.

The courage, fortitude and resolve of the Brits is astounding. You have my admiration.
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I've spent the last few hours in central London - it was impossible to concentrate on my dissertation at home. Not that I'm concentrating on it here, either. I'm pretending I made it as a photojournalist instead.

Most of the city seems to be returning to normal. There are buses on the roads, people in the shops, and most of the tube trains are up and running, though not in the regions that were directly affected as those are crime scenes. There are a huge number of police on the streets, I lost count at 40 but I'd say I saw at least 60 police officers so far today, which averages to 20 per hour. They're travelling in twos and threes along the streets, and posted at every closed tube station and blocked-off road.

As should be expected, the bus's location is roped off and shielded. There are many, many photographers out and about - I've ended up in some of their shots, and at one point I got a picture of a photographer taking a picture of me, after which we exchanged thumbs-up. There are lots of news cameras out as well, so if you see a girl in a long (dark) green coat, glasses and a ponytail, it could well be me.

At King's Cross there are several piles of flowers to remember the victims, as well as a flower shop inside the station that is probably doing a brisk trade today.

I'll try to have photographs up tonight; right now I'm going to Trafalgar Square. It'll be much different from when I was there on Wednesday...
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

peteinmn wrote: The courage, fortitude and resolve of the Brits is astounding. You have my admiration.
I've just been watching coverage of the bombing aftermath on CNN and you are so right. A radio personality said on the air, addressing the bombers, "You've picked the wrong city." I was touched by the interviews with people getting on buses today and saying they weren't going to be frightened into having their lives destroyed. I was greatly impressed with London and Londoners when I vacationed there and today I wish I could live there.

To use a somewhat more American expression:

London to bombers: "'F' you and the horse you rode in on."
scarhand

Post by scarhand »

watching and praying that everyone checks in and is ok . . .
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

I just checked in and read through all the posts - my God. Heard from
Gary on Thursday morning, who reported the Swindon bomb scare and
pronounced Beth and Martin alive and kicking, but I didn't see the Chiff
messages for awhile. It was great to see all the updates on the board,
esp Beth's great reporting and photos. Awhile ago I lived in London too,
7 years on the District Line.. Am *very* glad Martin and Beth and
Redwolf are ok, as well as everyone else who made it.

My contribution: here's the links to the continuations of this thread:

REDWOLF OKAY, THOUGH NOT NAMED IN STORY
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=30382

Photos from London, Friday 8th July
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=30408
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I served 23 years as an operational firefighter and Officer in London Fire Brigade and attended many of the bomb explosions in the 70's and 80's.I know for a fact from experience of my long service in London that this will have no long lasting effect on London or Londoners...if anything it will just harden the resolve of folks to get on with business as usual.

They are a tough bunch and it will take a lot more than cowardly attacks on innocents to change anything.

My son is carrying on the tradition and is a firefighter on the blue watch at Paddington Fire Station(my old watch and station) he attended Edgeware Road underground station where he tells me 7 bodies were recovered.
Today was his sons birthday so he was playing the dutiful dad.

Tonight he will be at Kings Cross Underground which still has bodies underground and they are expecting at least 40 bodies from this station alone so the casualty list is going to rise.(coincidentally I attended a fire a few years back at this same underground station where 31 people died including a fire brigade officer colleague of mine)

My son Nicky, and everyone else involved with this latest tragedy will be quietly getting on with their job.

On Monday... people will be going about their normal business maybe a little more carefully and aware ,but normally....

My youngest son Fionnbharr and his mother live 5 mins walk from Russell Square where the bus exploded.Talking to Fionnbharr on Thursday night, when, after much difficulty, he got home from school(he is 13 years old)his main interest seemed to be about his latest computer game!!!
This is the overiding phenomenom which is the Londoner or someone living in London...Normality.
God bless humanity
Slán Go Faill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

FJohnSharp wrote:Eight pages and I'm mainly wondering if Redwood is okay.

Ah-ha! I'm not the only one to space out and call her REDWOOD instead of REDWOLF around here. :lol: Really though, I've always had an image of her (accurate or not) playing whistle in the evenings on a large, shady porch (of her home) looking out over a forest of redwood trees. Nice to know she'll be back to play whistle again.

Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-