Hurricane Dennis

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hurricane Dennis

Post by Dale »

I'm nervous about Hurricane Dennis. Here's why:

The red X marks the spot for C&F Central.

It won't be a hurricane when it comes over us, but it will be a big enough storm to knock out power for days and blow some trees down and maybe some roofs off.

Of course, we're really worried about everyone in the path south of us. They'll have it worse.

And the coastal areas of Alabama and Florida are still rebuilding from the ones that hit last season.

Keep us in your thoughts and/or prayers.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I hope The Collection has been safely stowed in its watertight, black-box fitted Emergency Containment Device.

Luck and prayers.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Dale, a great opportunity to nip outside and do that long awaited field report on which whistles play well in windy conditions. Let us know the results.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4659163.stm

It's looking grim. Take care over there.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Any other Chiffers in harm's way?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: Hurricane Dennis

Post by Walden »

DaleWisely wrote:The red X marks the spot for C&F Central.
The black 8, on the other side of Arkansas, marks Waldco International HQ.
Keep us in your thoughts and/or prayers.
Certainly.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I, for one, refuse to be budged by this bully. I'm not leaving MY home!!!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
missy

Post by missy »

Dale - ask Dennis to save some of his rain for up here - we're dry as can be right now.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

In todays world who would think that a hurricane a thousand miles away might just directly affect the lives of someone not in the path or the danger of it.

I live in Canada right across from Detroit but every working minute of my day at the library here in Windsor, I'm in Burmingham Alabama, our on-line catalogue system is provided by the SIRSI corporation which is located in Birmingham along with the database provdier EBSCO also in the city. So if Birmingham is unfortunately hit by Dennis, that might create and hopefully not problems for us here.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Dale that the hurricane projection is wrong and that it just turns into a summer storm.

The above perceived trouble will not give me a day off from work, it will just make things harder to fine and check out and check in items. The SIRSI system like all things internet/computers has gone down before...we manage.

I'll keep the candles ready for ya Dale

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

missy wrote:Dale - ask Dennis to save some of his rain for up here - we're dry as can be right now.
On this morning's Farm Report, the weather man said the rains may head up that way and give some relief.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Just remember to follow Jim Cantori. If he shows up it's time to hide.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
rh

Post by rh »

hang in there, Dale, stay safe.

i'm concerned about my wife's family in Havana, looks like they're about to get hammered. they're used to getting along without power for long stretches due to the rationing, but a lot of the structures in the city are so run down that a direct hit by a cat 4 storm could cause a lot of damage, not to mention fatalities.
there is no end to the walking
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

It seems like the sh*t hits the fan all at once sometimes! With all that's been happening in my life the last two months, I've turned off the TV and internet to just take a break from the world, so this is all news to me.
Batten down the hatches and good luck! Our prayers are with you.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

FJohnSharp wrote:I hope The Collection has been safely stowed in its watertight, black-box fitted Emergency Containment Device.
...they've been choppered out of here to an abandoned missile silo in the midwest. You go into a tool shack which is actually an elevator. They eventually find out that the microorganism can't tolerate more alkaline conditions and so if you just hyperventilate it will kill the infection. Wait a minute....I forgot what we were talking about.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »