The best comment on the London events so far :D

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

The best comment on the London events so far :D

Post by avanutria »

From another board I belong to:
The atmosphere was very strange on public transport last night. I managed to get a bus from the fulham road after getting a lift to there and literally everyone on the bus was talking about it......and you know it's serious when London commuters actually start talking to one another!!!!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Re: The best comment on the London events so far :D

Post by SteveShaw »

avanutria wrote:From another board I belong to:
The atmosphere was very strange on public transport last night. I managed to get a bus from the fulham road after getting a lift to there and literally everyone on the bus was talking about it......and you know it's serious when London commuters actually start talking to one another!!!!
I'm in the habit of starting up a friendly banter with cashiers at supermarkets and so on. This mortally embarrasses my two (grown-up) kids whenever they happen to be with me. Blimey, if you can't add a bit of light to life....

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

It's a running joke in my family that Anthea will know a complete stranger's life history within five minutes of meeting them.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

When I first arrived in England in 1974, one of the things I loved about the place was the fact that someone could get on the Tube with pink hair, Mohawk style, leading a violet poodle and nobody would take a blind bit of notice. Men in pin stripes who didn't even take a sly peek from behind their Times or Telegraph. Wonderful.

No, I didn't have pink hair nor a poodle of any shade.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Wombat wrote:with pink hair
You sure it wasn't fuschia? :wink:
(BTW, my name is John)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

SteveShaw wrote: I'm in the habit of starting up a friendly banter with cashiers at supermarkets and so on. This mortally embarrasses my two (grown-up) kids whenever they happen to be with me. Blimey, if you can't add a bit of light to life...
Steve
I do that all the time. I also love talking to customer service reps on the phone. I ask where they're located, local weather, if they've ever visited my area etc. Usually they seem to like it too-- a break from what would seem to me to be a boring job.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
emmline

Post by emmline »

SteveShaw wrote:
avanutria wrote:From another board I belong to:
I'm in the habit of starting up a friendly banter with cashiers at supermarkets and so on. This mortally embarrasses my two (grown-up) kids whenever they happen to be with me. Blimey, if you can't add a bit of light to life....

Steve
I'm not even that friendly, well...outgoing, but I do still talk to people--and when I'm with my kids (teenagers) they invariably are embarrassed and must rib me about my intonation and body language for the next half hour or so. They need a cyber-mom who speaks when spoken too, I guess.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

A closely-related phenomenon, I think, does anyone else here find that complete strangers hand them cameras and ask to have their photo taken?

I've remarked on this, and the frequency with which people ask me for directions, many times. I've never worked out if it's because I look friendly, harmless, confident (i.e. a local who knows his way around) or just not a fast runner.

The odd thing is that it happens not just in London, my hometown for most of my life, but in foreign towns and cities too.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Martin Milner wrote:I've never worked out if it's because I look friendly,
I take it this is when you're not wearing your helmet with the horns on it.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Martin Milner wrote:A closely-related phenomenon, I think, does anyone else here find that complete strangers hand them cameras and ask to have their photo taken?

I've remarked on this, and the frequency with which people ask me for directions, many times. I've never worked out if it's because I look friendly, harmless, confident (i.e. a local who knows his way around) or just not a fast runner.

The odd thing is that it happens not just in London, my hometown for most of my life, but in foreign towns and cities too.
Sorry this is a little OT, but have you seen National Lampoon's European Vacation?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Martin Milner wrote:A closely-related phenomenon, I think, does anyone else here find that complete strangers hand them cameras and ask to have their photo taken?
And is the look on your face in your avatar the one you give them when they ask you to take their picture? :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

izzarina wrote:
And is the look on your face in your avatar the one you give them when they ask you to take their picture? :wink:
When I've recovered my composure, yes.

Of course, you do know that's not really me in that picture, right Izz?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Martin Milner wrote:
izzarina wrote:
When I've recovered my composure, yes.

Of course, you do know that's not really me in that picture, right Izz?
I just assume that everyone's pictures are of them, MarMil...I mean, ALL of mine are of me. ;) I especially think you look rather fetching when you look like Lambchop

:lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

izzarina wrote:[I just assume that everyone's pictures are of them, MarMil...I mean, ALL of mine are of me. ;)
They can't be - there are two people in that avatar of yours for a start! :wink:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
missy

Post by missy »

izz wrote:
"I just assume that everyone's pictures are of them"