Low D Heresy

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
perrins57
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by perrins57 »

I dont understand the "I prefer flute to Low whistle camp". Its like comparing apples and pears. When my parents first heard my Reyburn wide bore they commented how you could hear similarities to a flute and bass recorder, but overall it had its own sound. You cant make a flute or a recorder sound exactly like a good low whistle. If you want the tonality of a low whistle then, nothing else will do. If you dont then fine!
Its the limitations of a Low whistle that give it its character. Trombones have limitations when playing fast compared to some brass instruments, but do people say they are not as good as a Saxophone? The Trumpet has a narrow range compared to some brass instruments (hardly any solos were written for it during the Baroque period for this reason), did Miles Davis or Satchmo care? If you prefer the flute fine, thats your choice, just dont think you're objectively right!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Low D Heresy

Post by greenspiderweb »

PhilO wrote: Thoughts? How often do you regular whistlers out there actually play low D? Should I just turn myself in to the low D whistle squad and be done with it?
Philo
No, Phil, just turn in your Low D's and all will be forgiven! :) Alright, maybe just the O Briain and the O Riordan. PM me! (just kidding)

I play the Low D 90% of the time when I pick up a whistle to play. It just sounds better to my ears than some high pitched whistle tweeting away.

If you spend enough time with them, have a responsive whistle, and can manage the stretch and hole size, you can play amazing things on them. Just give a listen to Paddy Keenan, Eoin Duignan, Cormac Breatnach, Brian Finnegan, among others, cut loose on their low whistles, and what do you hear? Any limitations?

I prefer the flute now to Low whistle, overall, but you can't make it sound like a Low whistle no matter how you try. I still can appreciate how unique the tone of the Low D is in comparison, so I won't be giving mine up for good. Besides, if your lips get tired of puckering on the flute(and they do), you can pick up the Low D and keep going, and have some more fun!

From what you say, you need to get a flute. You won't ever find it lacking in capability, just your embouchure. It's definitely a trip worth taking!
~~~~
Barry
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I play my Low Ds most of the time. I explore a lot of non-ITM and it sounds better than tooting in the higher octave.

I agree with the apples/pears comparison re whistles and flutes; 2 different styles and sounds.
If I wanted to play a flute too, I would play a flute. They are as attractive to me as a set of maracas.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

StewySmoot wrote:I play my Low Ds most of the time. I explore a lot of non-ITM and it sounds better than tooting in the higher octave.

I agree with the apples/pears comparison re whistles and flutes; 2 different styles and sounds.
If I wanted to play a flute too, I would play a flute. They are as attractive to me as a set of maracas.
Thats perjoritive to Maraca . . sorry wrong thread.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

First of all....apples and pears are just about the same fruit. They're both roses too, btw.

I like a low sound, and though I've got a flute and like to play at it, I don't have much embouchure to do a tune justice. The low whistles give me the mellower sound, and don't disturb the residents birds after lights out. My mother detests the soprano whistle I play, but actually enjoyed the sound of the low D.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

StewySmoot wrote:I play my Low Ds most of the time. I explore a lot of non-ITM and it sounds better than tooting in the higher octave.

I dunno-- that set of maracas in your avatar is pretty attractive.
Sorry, I couldn't help myself... :oops:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
monkey587
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by monkey587 »

perrins57 wrote:I dont understand the "I prefer flute to Low whistle camp". Its like comparing apples and pears.
It seems simple to me. I have flutes, I have low whistles. I prefer flute. I think the others feel similarly. :)

Seriously, though, I do. I have (not for long) two really really great low D whistles. I just don't ever feel like playing them, because I like the sound of the flute so much better.
William Bajzek
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

monkey587 wrote:
perrins57 wrote:I dont understand the "I prefer flute to Low whistle camp". Its like comparing apples and pears.
It seems simple to me. I have flutes, I have low whistles. I prefer flute. I think the others feel similarly. :)

Seriously, though, I do. I have (not for long) two really really great low D whistles. I just don't ever feel like playing them, because I like the sound of the flute so much better.
Me too. I don't understand the attraction of the low whistle at all.

J.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

PhilO wrote:I know that Low Ds are supposed to be the beall of whistles
I guess I'm not quite clear whether you are saying that among all low whistles, the low D seems to be vastly preferred. Or if you are saying that among all whistles the low D seems to be vastly preferred.

On the chance that you mean the second statement (which I sort of doubt) I'll just say that the more good recordings (and in particular one great live performance) I hear of the high whistle, the more intense my preference for the high whistle is. I find the sound very exciting. I have no desire to play the low whistle or the flute. It is nothing against these instruments, but just a personal preference.
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

feadogin wrote:
Me too. I don't understand the attraction of the low whistle at all.

J.
The attraction of the low whistle is the color of the sound - quite different from the flute. If you're thinking of the low D as the instrument for people-who'd-really-rather-be-playing-the-flute-but-just-can't-cut-it, well, I'd disagree. I gravitate to the low whistles because of the richness and uniqueness of the sound.

But, Zot! and Forsooth! I hear you say - you can get all that in the Most Noble And Wonderful Flute... With the right player, the right chops, the right flute, some of that is true. But there will always be a difference in the quality of the two, and for some of us, poor and deluded tho we may be, when comparing the two, we lean toward the low whistles. :D

So, since both instruments exist in this world, and both are wonderful from different points of view to different ears, GreatJumpin'Jehosaphat YeeHah! Have at it, ye players of Divers and Sundrie Tooters and Fluters - for those about to Rock, I salute you!!! :)

(I really should have gone to bed before diving into this... or at least waited for the medication to kick in... :P )
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

tubafor wrote:The attraction of the low whistle is the color of the sound - quite different from the flute. If you're thinking of the low D as the instrument for people-who'd-really-rather-be-playing-the-flute-but-just-can't-cut-it, well, I'd disagree. I gravitate to the low whistles because of the richness and uniqueness of the sound.

But, Zot! and Forsooth! I hear you say - you can get all that in the Most Noble And Wonderful Flute... With the right player, the right chops, the right flute, some of that is true. But there will always be a difference in the quality of the two, and for some of us, poor and deluded tho we may be, when comparing the two, we lean toward the low whistles. :D

So, since both instruments exist in this world, and both are wonderful from different points of view to different ears, GreatJumpin'Jehosaphat YeeHah! Have at it, ye players of Divers and Sundrie Tooters and Fluters - for those about to Rock, I salute you!!! :)

(I really should have gone to bed before diving into this... or at least waited for the medication to kick in... :P )
Well put.

(Name's Mark btw)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

You're all avoiding the real issue, which is of course that flute is traditional, but low whistle isn't :twisted:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

GaryKelly wrote:You're all avoiding the real issue, which is of course that flute is traditional, but low whistle isn't :twisted:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuurrrrrrrghhgh!!!!!!!!

M
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

GaryKelly wrote:You're all avoiding the real issue, which is of course that flute is traditional, but low whistle isn't :twisted:
If we wait long enough, it will be :D

I play both low whistle and flute. One advantage of the flute is that the flute's embouchure gives you more control over the color and volume of the notes. The embouchure of a whistle is fixed by the instrument. OTOH, with a whistle you don't have to worry about that. Also, I find the playing position of the low whistle more comfortable, and it's easier to physically fit into a tightly packed session than a flute sticking out to the side... :roll:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Speaking of volume, a low whistle might be a good idea for those of us legitimate, traditional musicians - Flute players - who want to practice but not bug our neighbors or family. Yesterday I got a sony minidisk player. I was putting it through its paces last night with a flute, and had tried to find the most remote corner of a pretty large house to play in. (I'm at my folks' place for a brief stay). Nope - apparently it carried such that night time playing was out of the question.

*If you've read my prior comments on "tradition" you'll realize that the snooty attitude above is totally tongue-in-cheak.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.