Explosions in London

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Take the political commentary to the sticky thread. Could everyone please just not rise to the bait?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Tyler Morris wrote:Wait a second... dont you mean the terror that the US and British GOVORNMENTS have wrought? I hope that's what you mean, because it sounds like you would choose to hold normal citizenry responsible for post-election govornmental action. ...
Your distinction is valid, but the governments are acting in our names, and as citizens, we hold *some* responsibility for what gets done in our names... for continuing to allow it. Again, *Nothing* excuses the terrorists' actions. And nothing excuses our continuing to ignore the validity of *some* of the claims and demands for attention to what is continuing to be done in our names.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

jGilder, I doubt anyone would disagree with what you wrote. The thing is, it is insensitive to bring this up right at the moment because people reading this might have people injured or might be worried about someone. There is someone on the forum that people are concerned about. It would be like telling me, if there had been a big earthquake in California and I was very worried about several families, that there have been many worse earthquakes where more people were killed and their countries had fewer resources to rescue people. It wouldn't be helpful to me, it would be very insensitive to my personal worry.

Personal worry and fear is more what this thread is about. We are thinking about the individuals affected. We are offering our feelings for this particular situation which just happened. I really don't think we are getting it out of proportion. Another thread would be more suitable to compare and discuss all the sorts of terrorism there are.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Honor the request of the Wisely one. Is it that hard?
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

emmline wrote:Take the political commentary to the sticky thread. Could everyone please just not rise to the bait?
I agree... should have done so with my own.

The reality is that we are all terribly worried, about Rdwolf, others we know and love and the world.

May Peace come in our time, or may we at least give our best efforts to bring it about for our children and theirs.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
missy

Post by missy »

trying to get back on track.......

since it's now "after" rush hour home bound, hopefully loved ones have either made it home safely, or have appropriate areas to stay in over night.
Please - all of our UK friends - take it easy tonight. It'll be in the small hours of the night that you may be hit with reality. I'm sure a few of us will try to check in here occasionally - come on and "talk" if you have the need........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

The far-right British National Party are already trying to gain political points from this tragedy.
The implication is that the far-right politicians are doing a bad thing (and I agree that they are).
jGilder wrote:it's miniscule compared to the death and destruction the US and British terrorism has wrought on Iraq.
So shouldn't it be equally reprehensible for jGilder to try to gain political points for the left because of this tragedy?

Edit: Whoops, didn't notice that I was beating a dead horse. Sorry.
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

Amazing to me how my comments are convoluted so much by some folks on this site. Out of respect for what Dale has asked, I will not respond in detail to the misinterpretations. All I will say is that it is always innocent people who are victims of terrorism. I do not justify it, condone it, or agree with it in any way shape or form -- it's wrong -- all of it. My concern is strickly for the innocent people who are always caught up in it. I still stand by my statement -- end ALL terrorism.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Take a deep breath and save the political discussion for another day

We're all good enough at debating politics and policy. And we will. This thread is not the time or place. Respect the pain that readers feel. Don't make it worse. Today, use your fingers to play sad songs on your whistle. The finger pointing will keep for later.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Directive from the moderator: This thread is not to be used for political discussion. Make political posts on the political mega-thread.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Sayeth a constipated-looking Tom Cruise.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Just heard from my cousin Martin who lives in Burnley, in the north of England who was visiting London doing genealogy research, and was on the tube train in front of one of them that was bomb. He was standing on the platform reading a map, trying to figure out which way to go when he heard the blast. He and everyone else just started running for any exit, and when he got to the street he heard another blast, not knowing at that time that it was a bus, but he failed to tell me which station he was at.

Just to personal and close to home, to say anything, hoping that Redwolf and her family are safe.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
missy

Post by missy »

Mark - saying thanks that your cousin was unharmed.........

Hopefully someone will connect with Red soon........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Although I know the final casualty counts are obviously not in, I think it is fair to say that things are not as bad as they could have been. Not saying that it is not a big deal, just that I take the bus downtown everyday and if a bomb went off in the one I take, that would have been it. Seems remarkable that more people were not killed, thank God.

And respect for the Londoners on tv who seem ready to head back to work tomorrow. Terrorists didn't quite realize how stubborn the British could be I guess.

EDIT: To say that I just saw the 700 figure and "injury" can mean anything.
moxy

Post by moxy »

emmline wrote:But there has to be more--resolve, strength, compassion--at least for victims, and people trying to do good.....I don't know.
Thank you for not perpetuating negativity :) That on which we focus will persist. Let's focus on well-being and doing good. I know that's hard, and like others have said, as a community we may feel outrage and anger right at first. Let's follow that with some recognition of our strength and worth as a community.

Thankfully, my friend and her husband were not injured or anything else. They mentioned being told not to leave work, and they had lunch catered to them. People taking care of other people. Good stuff.

They're home now, safely. Hopefully, so are all those we're thinking of and wondering about.