Explosions in London

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

GaryKelly wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:Swindon update (local radio report): "A controlled explosion has been successfully carried out on a device on a train in Swindon station."
Radio's just confirmed that the Swindon 'suspect device' was aboard the Bristol to Paddington train. No-one hurt, thank God.
Goodness, Gary! That's just too scary for words! How close are you to the station?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Reuters server is overloaded, no surprise. The MSNBC crawler is now saying at least 20 dead, 70 injuries, "according to one London TV station."
A terrible tragedy.
Last edited by Kevin L. Rietmann on Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I'm at the office at the moment, a goodly 8 miles or so away.

The main line runs past my estate (apartment block) though, and I can see the station building about 3/4 of a mile away as the crow flies from my living-room window.

The Bristol-Paddington service is an Intercity 125 HST, (125 miles an hour). You can imagine what might have happened if...
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Just logged in to see if we had word from C&F London bureau. This is just sickening. If I live to be 10,000 years old, I will never be able to wrap my head around the kind of thinking that it is somehow morally acceptable to do this to innocent people who are doing nothing other than going to work and going about their lives.

I got a long email from my friend Norman Dannatt (with the Clarke company), who lives with his wife in Essex. We visited them in late 2003. His email is stamped just a very short time before the explosions. I'm sure I'll hear from him when he has a moment.
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

from the BBC website just now:
An Islamist website has posted a statement - purportedly from al-Qaeda - claiming it was behind the attacks.
Basmatis. :evil:

Stay safe, Londoners.
there is no end to the walking
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Tony Blair has just taken off in a chopper headed for London. The police are confirming at least 150 seriously injured and two dead.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Glad all you guys are okay.

Be prepared for casualties to rise dramatically as they get to all the wrecks. Just horrible.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On the tv now is an unofficial estimate of fatalities: 40 and injured: 300...
mukade

Post by mukade »

The beeb says this picture has appeared on the net. It claims to show people trapped in the tube.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Yup, that's from a phone camera. It's been shown on TV, as have a couple of phone videos.

Keep in mind that since there's no phone signal while on the underground, the fact that that photo has surfaced implies that those people have gotten out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4659489.stm

Photos 5 and 6 are the bus; photo 12 is the one from mukade above.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Just heard the horrific news on my alarm clock/radio. What a surreal, awful way to wake up and start the day... as has been said, it is indeed reminicent of 9-11. Wakes you up in an awful hurry. :cry:

Came straight here, so relieved to hear that Beth and Martin are okay. You to GaryKelly, hadn't registered that you lived that close around London until now. No word from Redwolf yet? :( *Please be safe, Redwolf* Any other Chiffsters in that area?

All those poor people! Words cannot describe....

:cry: Sara

(edited because of bad spelling/poor name recollection.)
Last edited by Sunnywindo on Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

:(
I just heard about this on the TV news while having my morning coffee, and checked in to see how the UK C&F contingent were doing. I'm glad to see that you're all okay. And thanks for all the news updates; what we're seeing on the TV here is sketchy at best.

John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Final Swindon update:

Police spokesmen have just announced that the 'suspect device' destroyed by an Army Bomb Disposal team on the Bristol-Paddington train halted at Swindon station was 'not a bomb' and there was no link with the terrorist attacks in London.

They were erring on the side of caution, and quite right too.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'm so sorry that so many people have had to be so terrified and hurt. What brave people to take that one bomb apart on the Underground---thank goodness they closed that station. I'll be watching for news about Redwolf, too. Best wishes to all those in London.

That was the bomb I was thinking of---and I agree, best to act as though it were a bomb. They still had to be just as brave to find out it wasn't a bomb.
Last edited by Cynth on Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Apparently the bombed bus was a number 30 from Hackney to Marble Arch. Do you Londoners know if that's well out of the way from where Redwolf might have been?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)