Fake Accents

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

And then back to Micky Bliss, and I'll leave you all in peace:
http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2004/5522.htm

""take the Michael?"
Dulcinea del Toboso Thursday, September 02, 2004, 18:58 GMT
While reading the BBC web site I saw this phrase: "no-one's going to take the Michael because it's too easy to be shown the door."

What is "taking the Michael"?
Damian Thursday, September 02, 2004, 19:10 GMT
The proper expression is "taking the mickey". It is used a lot in the UK. It means to tease. More crudely, to take the piss out of someone....to tease them, not in a malicious way.

Mickey is a variant of the name Michael, as is Mick. So just as a variation of saying "taking the mickey" some people say "taking the Michael", meaning to tease. They can also change the "taking" bit to "extracting", so "extracting the Michael" means exactly the same thing.

If you suspect someone of teasing you or having you on, you simply say "Are you taking the mickey?" or "Are you taking the Michael?" or "Are you extracting the Michael?"
Margaret Wednesday, September 08, 2004, 12:14 GMT
It is an example of the quick turnover of Cockney slang.

Partridge's "Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English" dates this expression to c. 1950, and gives its origin as rhyming slang ("Mickey Bliss"). Mickey Bliss, thought to be BBC radio personality, has never been conclusively identified. A competing theory is that "taking the mick" was derived from the verb, "micturate" (to urinate).

From 'taking the piss' to 'taking the mick' to 'extracting the Michael' shows that the impetus is to obscure rather than explain, so that the hearer always has to work harder to get the meaning. But it is a game of invention between friends as much as a way of excluding outsiders. Once 'extracting the Michael' has become too commonplace within the group, for example, one might go for something like, 'Are you attempting to remove the Michaelangelo, sunshine?' (This last is not a real idiom – yet.)"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hence the British usage of "catheterising", as well.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Ruby lips above the water
Blowing bubbles soft and fine.
Though in life I often kissed them,
Now she's dead, I draw the line

(Anybody remember who this verse came form.)
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-I don't agree an adopted accent is necessarily fake, but wariness is in order. I spent part of a misspent youth running with small town kids in Canada, learning all "aboot" mischief, hockey and never placing one's tongue on scrap iron in the deep winter "eh?", returning to Detroit a few times with an accent adopted unconsciously-which I tried consciously to retain as girls liked it.
-Still and all, its probably better to find a mate whom loves you for yourself than for an accent. A mate whom loves you for your whistle is another thing entirely.
:wink:
djm

Post by djm »

Faith an' Begora, Kevin me ol' darlin'. I'm wunderin' now, is it the wrong t'read I've wandered inta? :D

Flan,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

brianormond wrote:-I don't agree an adopted accent is necessarily fake, but wariness is in order. I spent part of a misspent youth running with small town kids in Canada, learning all "aboot" mischief, hockey and never placing one's tongue on scrap iron in the deep winter "eh?", returning to Detroit a few times with an accent adopted unconsciously-which I tried consciously to retain as girls liked it.
What kind of girls did you hang around with??? And can you introduce me?
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Lorenzo wrote:(using Marlin Brando's accent ) "Why Dude, you little hypocrite, it's really no different than someone having multiple "acconts" here on C&F.
Ah ccont see the point...
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Where did I read that Germans think Americans sound like they're trying to speak while chewing gum? And that French sounds like someone drowning?
cowtime

Re: Fake Accents

Post by cowtime »

emmline wrote:
Kevin L. Rietmann wrote: "You run into this a lot, Americans sporting this quasi-brogue.
That's plain weird. I don't run into it, but maybe I don't hang with the Irish wannabes enough.
The only accent I can easily and authentically lapse into is the SW Virginian hillbilly of my forbears, but I try not to.
Hey, wait just a dawg-gone minute thar..........

That's kinda funny since my eldest daughter just moved up your way to Maryland last week and my only instruction to her was "don't come back here with some kinda northern accent". (and I meant it! :D )
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I knew a guy from Australia who was a member of a travelling Christian drama ministry who got so tired of people having a hard time understanding his Aussie accent that he adopted an American one - I never would've guessed he was from Australia until he told us. (Although when he really relaxed and let his guard down his accent slipped a little).
I don't think of that as trying to pretend to be something you're not, especially because he didn't hide the fact he was Australian.

But people just putting on wannabe accents trying to be "cool" or something is kinda weird and very annoying.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
emmline

Re: Fake Accents

Post by emmline »

cowtime wrote:
emmline wrote:
Kevin L. Rietmann wrote: "You run into this a lot, Americans sporting this quasi-brogue.
That's plain weird. I don't run into it, but maybe I don't hang with the Irish wannabes enough.
The only accent I can easily and authentically lapse into is the SW Virginian hillbilly of my forbears, but I try not to.
Hey, wait just a dawg-gone minute thar..........

That's kinda funny since my eldest daughter just moved up your way to Maryland last week and my only instruction to her was "don't come back here with some kinda northern accent". (and I meant it! :D )
I mean hillbilly in the fondest way, of course!
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

***following Kevin's lead for a new avatar***
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I gotta get in on this avatar bandwagon
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I've always been proud of my accent and don't care a bit if folks hear it and immediately think "dumb hillbilly". I think it's funny that they are that shallow.

I always get a kick out of folks who move here and then talk about our accent. Hey, the newcomer is the one with the accent! I talk like everyone else around here. :D

It's sad and shows a lack of self esteem for someone to try to pretend they are from somewhere they are not.

I love the way words work together and am facinated by those who have the knack for putting them together just so. That's what makes great writers and speakers I suppose.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

The online equivalent is Americans who use U.K. spellings.
Reasonable person
Walden