London wins 2012 Olympic Games

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

GaryKelly wrote:
jbarter wrote:Hey Martin. Guess who's just been nominated to host the 2012 C&F Gathering. :D
Hurrah! Better get that bathroom sorted mate! :D
They're starting work on 1st August! Knowing the alacrity of the average British workman, it might just get finished in time!
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Martin Milner wrote:They're starting work on 1st August!
You mean you only got a day and month from them? Didn't you insist on knowing the year? :o
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I.D.10-t wrote:How has the past hosting cities done after the Olympics have visited. I know that there is a short-term economic boon, but a lot of expensive to maintain equipment and transportation infrastructure is placed into the cities and will be there for a long time. Dose it help in the long term?
Most cities (and countries) suffer financial pains for years afterwards. The exception was the Atlanta 1996 Olympics which turned a profit. Greece, being a relatively small country in terms of economy and population will be paying for their two weeks in 2004 for quite some time:
http://www.patrides.com/sept04/engreece.htm

For cities that have most of the infrastructure needed, such as a stadium big enough for the opening and closing ceremonies, enough temporary housing for the thousands of athletes and journalists, a cycling venue, a swimming venue, the costs can be considerably less. That said, Beijing is projecting a $28 billion USD budget for the 2008 games (compared to about $10 billion for the 2004 Athens games).
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

This just in from Martin :D

Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

If you are worried about your cuisine... if Jacques Chirac's remarks (I love that name... it kind of rhymes) made you nervous... I can recommend some good eating that you might prepare for the Olympics. It's Oklahoma's official state meal... by act of Legislature (House Concurrent Resolution 1083).

•barbecued pork

•chicken-fried steak

•sausage with biscuits and gravy

•fried okra and squash

•grits

•corn

•blackeyed peas

•cornbread

•strawberries

•pecan pie
Last edited by Walden on Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy

Post by missy »

Walden - you forgot the sweet tea!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Sorry to be so transatlantic, but what's "chicken-fried steak?" Steaks fried by chickens? :-?

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

missy wrote:Walden - you forgot the sweet tea!!!!
:lol: :lol: More like syrup.

BTW, I kept an eye on them while you were gone. No gossip to report.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

SteveShaw wrote:Sorry to be so transatlantic, but what's "chicken-fried steak?" Steaks fried by chickens? :-?

Steve
I think that's where they squeeze a KFC bucket into a frying pan, and then cook the steak in the fat thereby obtained. But I might be wrong.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

missy wrote:Walden - you forgot the sweet tea!!!!
It wasn't me... it was the legislators!
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

GaryKelly wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:Sorry to be so transatlantic, but what's "chicken-fried steak?" Steaks fried by chickens? :-?

Steve
I think that's where they squeeze a KFC bucket into a frying pan, and then cook the steak in the fat thereby obtained. But I might be wrong.
You take beef steak and you flour it and fry it like chicken. Also works with pork or hamburger steak.
Reasonable person
Walden
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

GaryKelly wrote:

Steve
:lol: That's close. It's basically steak dipped in batter and fried. The "chicken-fried" moniker comes from the fact that chicken is usually cooked the same way, at least in the southern US. Also, it's mandatory to smother chicken-fried steak in thick cream gravy (sometimes called "sawmill gravy"). Mmm... :)

(Edit: Ah, Walden answered while I was typing, but he forgot to mention the gravy. :D )
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

jsluder wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:

Steve
:lol: That's close. It's basically steak dipped in batter and fried. The "chicken-fried" moniker comes from the fact that chicken is usually cooked the same way, at least in the southern US. Also, it's mandatory to smother chicken-fried steak in thick cream gravy (sometimes called "sawmill gravy"). Mmm... :)

(Edit: Ah, Walden answered while I was typing, but he forgot to mention the gravy. :D )
If that's anything like the gravy in biscuits & gravy...
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

A couple of pics from this afternoon:

SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I like that first pic. You must have been standing in front of 'em playing your Lee Oskar to get such appreciation! :) Couldn't help noticing the seven-foot tall man with specs on in the middle of the crowd...

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!