Harper vs. Chieftain

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TheKingPrawn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Harper vs. Chieftain

Post by TheKingPrawn »

If you had the choice between a nontunable Harper Classic and a tunable Chieftain Songbird (both high D) which would you choose and why? I've narrowed it down to the 2, but I'm stuck there. I haven't read anything definitive to lean me one way or the other, yet. Please help. Thanks.
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I'd choose the Harper. I don't think Phil Hardy needs the money as much. :devil:
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I haven't played either of them, so I'm afraid I'm no help.

If it were me, I'd try to hear someone playing them both (or, ideally, try them yourself somehow) and buy the one you like the sound of better.
Last edited by Wanderer on Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

If you're in the Seattle area, (sorry, I've no idea where Kingston lies in relation to Seattle) you might take a trip to Lark in the Morning. I believe they carry both Chieftains and Harper, though I'm not sure if they will have the particular models you're looking for. Even if you decide not to buy your whistle from the Lark, you could at least try out those that they have in the store. and besides, you never know, you might end up going home with a Biniou-Kozh, a Jar-Hu or a Tang Du instead...
Last edited by stiofan on Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

The first high end whistles I heard were those two at Lark in the Morning in San Francisco. I was deciding between the two. I thought there wasn't a huge difference in the sound, but the Harper was a bit 'buzzier.' It also had more back pressure than the Chieftain. Those were the two main differences and the Harper was about $20 or $30 more expensive. The Harper is a dang loud whistle, make no mistake.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
TheKingPrawn

Post by TheKingPrawn »

I just realized after ordering the Chieftain that there is a Lark in Seattle. I'm going to be over there this week, so I may see if I can stop by and play them. From what I've read, the Songbird should be more of what I'm looking for. I've been playing a Feadog for a while, but high G is almost impossible to sound clearly and low D has to be barely breathed to keep from jumping octaves. The whole lower octave is hard to play because I can't really blow out like I want until I get to B. I actually run out of breath because I haven't exhaled enough. I should be happy with this whistle, but if I'm not I can always return it.
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

TheKingPrawn wrote:I just realized after ordering the Chieftain that there is a Lark in Seattle. I'm going to be over there this week, so I may see if I can stop by and play them. From what I've read, the Songbird should be more of what I'm looking for. I've been playing a Feadog for a while, but high G is almost impossible to sound clearly and low D has to be barely breathed to keep from jumping octaves. The whole lower octave is hard to play because I can't really blow out like I want until I get to B. I actually run out of breath because I haven't exhaled enough. I should be happy with this whistle, but if I'm not I can always return it.
You could always try tweaking the feadog as described on the main C&F site. It made mine quite playable and it's a favorite whistle of mine now.
William Bajzek
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

If you go to www.kerrywhistles.com you can see and hear Phil Hardy play both the Harper and his own Songbird. I believe you click om movies and then Profiles to view the Harper clip. Phil states he likes the Harper.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Are you interested in the Chieftain or the Songbird?
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

I tried a Harper about 18 months ago and Tony's description of it doesn't square with my recollection at all.

The one I tried belonged to a professional musician who plays flute, pipes, whistle, anything, and does a lot of gigging. She has had a Copeland, various wooden whistles and so on and now the Harper is the only whistle she plays. This was at a small house session. The whistle didn't seem especially loud to me - louder than a Generation, certainly, but nothing like a Susato or Water Weasel. I don't remember it having a lot of backpressure. I do remember that I rather liked it.

Haven't tried a Songbird.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Harper must have radically redesigned his whistles. The one I have is over 6yrs old. It has tremendous back pressure and will make my ears ring if I practice an hour in the bedroom. (I haven't played in in a couple of years.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Both are great instruments. I haven't played a songbird High D, but if it plays anything like its brother the songbird low D, then its a keeper. I have heard some very positive things about a Harper also...especially regarding the back pressure and the smoothness in transition between lower and upper octaves.

In my case I would go with the kerry Songbird just because I am more familar with Phil's whistles.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

I've tried both and I think the Harper is ahead in terms of accurate intonation and playability. It's hand-made and if you can get hold of the C body as well - that's the best of the lot. Lovely!

Harpers tend to clog until played in a little as the windway is very narrow, but it's worth it!