What is a Good Number of Whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What is a Good Number of Whistles?

Post by KDMARTINKY »

When I first started with the whistles, WHOA struck me hard and at one time I had over 90 of various conditions, playability, names, etc. Over time I have been able to control WHOA with a medication known as "WIFE" and have sold several whistles that for some I wish I hadn't have sold and for others I am glad I did.

Now I only have the follwing:
Chieftain Kerry Songbird Low D
Chieftain Gold Low D
Chieftain High D
SYN Large Bore Low D
Alba Tunable Low D
Cillian O'Briain Low F
Dixon Aluminum High D
David O'Brien High C
Burke Tunable Low A
Walton LBW
Oak High D

I have commissioned a Low C to be made by John McHaffie.

I believe that by continuing to take my "WIFE" medication WHOA will soon be a thing of my past..... :)

So I ask whats a good number of whistles to have?
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

One or two played well is better I suppose than a whole shipload that aren't. :wink: I don't think you need many.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

A few years ago on the previous Chiffboard (hosted by Coolboard) I devised a formula for testing purposes.

A = number of tunes you know (meaning you could perform them comfortably in public without notice)

B = total dollar value of all the whistles you own.

Divide A by B. The result is your Personal (Whistle) Acquisition Disorder Index or PWADI.

The higher the number, the better you are doing. If you know 1000 tunes and own whistles worth $100, your score is 10 - good going.

If it is less than one, you are in deep trouble. You know 100 tunes but your whistles are worth $1000. Index = 0.1. Sell some whistles and work on your repertoire!

Steve

PS This seemed to get under the skin of a couple of people at the time, at least one of whom is still around. So let me stress that it's to be taken light-heartedly.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I'd say 37. 38 seems a bit excessive. 36 doesn't seem quite enough.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

The correct number of whistles is one.... one MORE that is! :lol:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

No less than than one, and no more than the next one you need or want.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

I figure if I own more whistles than the number of tunes I know I am a whistle collector as opposed to a whistle player.Currently by this definition I am a player by a small margin.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I haven't yet arrived at the number. Peter's probably right though, and after you've done experimenting, you probably just need a few for whatever specific purpose (self enjoyment, church, session, recording, etc.) in whatever keys. But then again, you need home and away whistles too, right, for travel? Then you need those that carry well outdoors and those that are quiet for indoors; then those that invoke or befit certain moods; nah, Peter's wrong. :)

What I just couldn't part with and are by definition necessary:

Eflat - Copeland brass
D - Burke black tip brass, Copeland, Sindt
C - Burke black tip brass, a loaner Copeland that I'm becoming increasingly attached to, Sindt, Walton Golden Tone
Bflat - Abell
A - Copeland
G - Copeland

Also my original high ender - cocobolo Thin Weasel and all my O'Riordan Travelers (D/C, G and D).

Then there are the away whistles including the two-piece Clare and all the Water Weasels.

So, uh, the absolute minimum is 20....

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I'd say the ideal would be one each of the following:

Eb
D
C
Bb

and one low whistle, I'd go for an F.

That makes a total of five, which is pretty close to the extent of my own whistle collection, although my low whistle is a G and I have three D whistles but only play one (the Sindt).
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Just one more...
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I'd say, a couple more than I have at any given time...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The correct number is one of each.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Two attractive things about whistle to me are, first, that they are so inexpensive compared to almost all other musical instruments, and, second, that there are so many different sounds and playing characteristics available.

This inexpensive diversity is hard to find in any other instrument I'm aware of (except perhaps harmonica).

--James
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Well, I get good use out of most of the keys that I've bought (low D and G, A, Bflat, C, D (not counting the high F yet as I haven't found a use for it but REALLY wanted something high) and the Hava Rabba).

Of the duplicates, I feel as if I need two 'good' whistles in the house, and one sturdy D for each car. Tyghre has his own small stash, two whistles.

The whistles I've bought as much for their artistic beauty as for their playability are in a class of their own...as are the ones that I keep around just to show that a 3 dollar whistle does indeed play a recognizable tune.

So I'm in the 'just one more' camp....and that is an E whistle or whistle body.

But I'm about to divest of some. If they're good whistles and not being played, its silly to keep 'em.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Wombat wrote:I'd say 37. 38 seems a bit excessive. 36 doesn't seem quite enough.
Unless you plan on giving some away, then you need more to start with so you wont be left short!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)