HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY to our friends in America

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY to our friends in America

Post by MarkB »

Just wanted to wish you awll a happy July 4 th!

There was a lovely rememberance ceremony on our riverfront here in Windsor yesterday. Windsor has the only cenotaph in Canada, honouring the Canadian Veterans who served and died in the Vietnam war.

The Wall That Heals (edit to say I typed the wrong name in) was also there on display. The Wall of Memory is a scaled version of the Vietnam war memorial in Washington DC touring the United States and Windsor is the only Canadian appearance because of our memorial here.

It was very impressive even in half scale!

There were a lot of US vets attending, two colour guards from Detroit, Marine and Army, fly bys of F16's, Coast Guard helicopters, a Canadian Legion colour guard, the pipes and drums of the Essex and Kent Scottish (local militia unit) and vets from both sides of the border standing together.

There were speeches and prayers but no rants just a very dignifying ceremony.

So I would like to wish you all a happy and glorious day.

MarkB
Last edited by MarkB on Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

Happy Independence Day. Of course, if you ever change your mind and want to come back we'll be more than willing to accept your back taxes. :D

Mind you, representation is quite another matter. :wink:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Living here in Gettysburg, Independence Day celebrations sometimes feel overshadowed by the great hoopla (battle reenactments plus the local firemen's carnival) surrounding the Gettysburg battle anniversary July 1-3.

But this morning I made a point of listening to NPR's annual reading of the entire Declaration of Independence. It makes for a thoughtful morning.

Speaking only for myself, I thank you for your good wishes. It's not perfect, but it's home.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

jbarter wrote:Happy Independence Day. Of course, if you ever change your mind and want to come back we'll be more than willing to accept your back taxes. :D

:lol: Haven't you heard?.... you can never go home. :lol:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

jbarter wrote:Happy Independence Day.
Happy Fourth of July!
Of course, if you ever change your mind and want to come back we'll be more than willing to accept your back taxes. :D
We let you keep Canada! Surely that's enough. It's a big old place. Way more space than England or the U.S. of A. or Wales or Scotland or the Rock o' Gibraltar or what not!
Oklahoma was never under British rule, to my knowledge. The Cherokee Nation had a treaty with the U. K., but wasn't under British rule, either. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

mvhplank wrote:Living here in Gettysburg, Independence Day celebrations sometimes feel overshadowed by the great hoopla (battle reenactments plus the local firemen's carnival) surrounding the Gettysburg battle anniversary July 1-3.
M
I wonder if Vicksburg Mississippi celebrates the 4th or mourns it???

If you don't know, on July 4, 1863, the day after the last day of Gettysburg, the garrison at Vicksburg MS surrendered to Grant after a long siege. Overshadowed in the papers and in modern memory by events in the East, the surrender of Vicksburg proved just as serious a blow to the Confederacy as Gettysburg.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dapple

Post by dapple »

Thank you, Mark.
~ David
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Thank you MarkB. Our little town has a "grand" parade led off by the veterans sitting in the bed of a decorated pick-up truck---everyone stands when that truck goes by, then old and new tractors, the police cars running their sirens, the fire trucks, used car dealers, the mayor, the cheerleaders, and anyone else who wants to walk along. It is actually pretty jolly.

We go to the park at night for fireworks. Unfortunately today it is pouring so I hope the rain doesn't keep up all day. The town collects money all year for the fireworks and it is always a matter of suspense to see if we donated enough to get some good ones. Last year everyone had to go home because of lightening and then go back to the park again for the fireworks.

My mom used to tell me what a big deal the 4th was when she was little---much bigger than now. She lived near a really tiny farming town and it was the highlight of the summer since people in the country pretty much worked on the farms non-stop in summer and they lived far apart and there wasn't a lot of entertainment. They had a parade and I guess the whole town got together for picnics and games and the like. There was always watermelon.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Thank you MarkB!

In my neck of the woods, folks celebrate by raising their old and tattered flags, sit half naked on their front porch, guzzle beer and frighten their Pit Bulls with fireworks. I have to say, that witnessing this spectacle sho duz make me proud to be 'merican. :lol:
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Thanks Mark :)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I was thinking that I would practice a Brittish tune today.

To Anacreon in Heaven

If you cannot hear me, then I will have to play the fife louder.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Yes, a lot of us can play that tune with a different name, far more familiar than the older tune but my questionis howmany can actually sing it and do it justice!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

MarkB wrote: can actually sing it and do it justice!
I'll stick to the fife, and no, I cannot do it justice with that either.

....wich is why I practice it.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Thanks Mark.

There was another thread about how much more venerated the flag is here. It's because we have nothing else, besides the Constitution, to display and its hard to keep a piece of paper up on a flagpole.

I am celebrating no monarch; the continuing experiment of our political system; the ability to point, with gratitude, to a small group of brilliant thinkers as our founders; and the incredible diversity within the 50 states, demographically and geographically.

Happy Fourth everybody. Don't burn yer weenies!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
djm

Post by djm »

Happy Firecracker Day everybody!

I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.