The Cruise Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Cruise Whistle

Post by PhilO »

This is really off topic and the subject is a cruise ruse. Since many threads of late have whistle related topics but turn into non-whistle threads, perhaps this non-whistle topic will turn into a whistle thread. Anyway, it picks up on the Tom Cruise related - swarf/smarf thread.

The over zealous holier than thou little puke is good in certain roles that take place in modern times, because I always see him just as Tom Cruise no matter what the role or time period - perhaps he's not a very good actor. The Last Samurai was a very underrated movie with great performances from the Japanese actors, beautifully filmed and with rousing battle scenes. Tom Cruise was ok, but he was, well, Tom Cruise - he looked like a little boy walking with that horse at the end of the movie.

There are fine actors who can become the role (Dustin Hoffman, Robert DeNiro, Sean Penn, Marlon Brando); he isn't one of them.

Hey, good idea for another flame thread - let's name whistles after the actors whose characteristics they best embody - that could get really insulting.

I'll start. Marlon Brando is the Copeland. Capable of perhaps the finest performances ever anywhere with the great soul and resonance of roles like that in On The Waterfront and The Godfather but also less than worthy performances like that in The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

This will probably ruin your self esteem, but I agree completely with you. If anything can keep me from seeing a movie, it's Tom Cruise being in it. Man, that makes twice within the last year that you and I have strongly agreed on something, Philo. Are the planets aligned weirdly or what? :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hey fellers,

I'm about all Cruised out too!

And, for whistle sake, how about an Orson (Wells) Overton? Good for a bellow or a subtle sneer, and very worthy!
~~~~
Barry
Lawrence

Re: The Cruise Whistle

Post by Lawrence »

PhilO wrote:The over zealous holier than thou little puke ...
Amen! :)

A Cruise whistle? How about a Generation F with a cracked fipple? :)
Last edited by Lawrence on Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
"Well, Scotty, now you've done it!" - McCoy
"Aye. The haggis is in the fire for sure." - Scotty
Dale
The Landlord

Re: The Cruise Whistle

Post by Dale »

PhilO wrote:
The over zealous holier than thou little puke .....

I'm sick and tired of your oblique and vague little hints at what you think of people. Spit it out. You'll feel better.

:)
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I tend to watch movies where the subject matter interests me and tolerate actors if necessary. Hence, I enjoyed The Last Samurai and I am looking forward to War of the Worlds, being a die-hard sci-fi fan. (I was, nevertheless, greatly dissappointed with Battlefield Earth while I loved LR Hubbard's book of the same title.)

In defence of Tom Cruise, part of his job is to promote his movie, which I believe drew media attention to him. The media questioned him about his Scientology beliefs as the pertain to alien invasion. A fair shot, as far as I'm concerned, but I suspect embarrassing to Cruise. The love affair with the kid? Hey, celebrities do these things all the time and there is a huge industry of magazines, tabloids, news, etc pandering to the desires of a mentally deficient population who eats that stuff up. He's in the news because the media choses what's news based on what sells. He's part of the machine.

Anyway, who's forcing you to watch this stuff?? :roll:
Tony :devil: -advocate
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Like many Hollywood celebs, he gets by purely on his looks and his fame, he can't act his way out of a paper bag.

I wonder if other samurai movie fans found the casting of "The Last Samurai" as ridiculous as I did. Cruise's role was a role for a mature, powerful, charismatic, and skillful actor, like Neeson or Crowe, not a sawed-off, halfwitted, aging pretty boy with delusions of grandeur.
chrysophylax

Post by chrysophylax »

Guys, don't get your hopes up over War of the Worlds, it's pretty poor fare. Saw it last night, dosen't come close to the book.
What??
Feadin

Post by Feadin »

I agree that Tom Cruise doesn't fit well the Last Samurai role... I believe the best actor for that role would be Robin Williams :lol:

Well, seriously, I have nothing against Cruise, don't love it nor hate it... I didn't like most of it's pictures though, except for Collateral, I really liked that one.

Now, I really dislike Jim Carrey. Can't see any movie where he's acting.
Cristian Feldman
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Cruise Whistle=Susato in the upper octave? :twisted:
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Has anyone else noticed that every Tom Cruise movie features a scene where he is running, to something or away from something, but running anyway. Run, run, run. Run, Tom, run.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Pat Cannady wrote:Like many Hollywood celebs, he gets by purely on his looks and his fame, he can't act his way out of a paper bag.

I wonder if other samurai movie fans found the casting of "The Last Samurai" as ridiculous as I did. Cruise's role was a role for a mature, powerful, charismatic, and skillful actor, like Neeson or Crowe, not a sawed-off, halfwitted, aging pretty boy with delusions of grandeur.
Exactly!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I've enjoyed several of his movies, including A Few Good Men and the Last Samurai, and admire that he purportedly does most of his own stunts. I never thought to impugn him for any religious or other beliefs and I don't scour the media to watch for him so I can lambaste what I see. I happen to catch snippets of him on TV and in the press as he promotes his movie and the press tries to as always make something out of nothing. What really set me off was the attack on a discipline, psychology, psychiatry or therapy, that when properly applied in a balanced manner can and has helped many people, including apparently Brooke Shields. The manner in which he did it I also find offensive. In his diatribe aimed at Matt Lauer he really displayed an over zealousness and a self-assured smugness (You don't know, I know, because I've researched - give me a break, please) that I found repugnant and thoughtless, perhaps even potentially damaging to many.

I too loved the original H. G. Welles story and the original campy movie with Gene Barry and was looking forward to the remake by Spielberg. I admit to some gloating feelings upon reading some bad reviews; I'll try to overcome this weakness in my character.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.