Colm O'Donnell's Farewell to Evening Dances

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I just adore Colm's flute playing and singing (the whistling isn't half bad either). Beautiful tone and great flow.

I know, I know, but I had to tell someone.
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Second that. The Bodhran Song was a hoot.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Ditto ditto.
I also love the lilted "Frieze Breeches."
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

I'll endorse this too. My copy lives in the workshop - nothing better to settle down with while fitting keys. I find most other flute and dance-music albums too "urgent" - a distraction you don't need for this precision work. Colm's album is serene - even the fast tunes - probably because of the level of control he has over the instruments and the lovely rhythm. I find the mix of flute, whistle and singing keeps the palate refreshed. Essential!

Terry
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Indeed one of my very favorites as well - such great flow and tone! Only regret from me is the copious reverb on the disc (mentioned by others on the forum as well), which without would be more brilliant still.

Eagerly awaiting more from Colm. I've heard good things about the Border Collies who he plays with (along with his daughter as I understand it).

Cheers,
- Ryan
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I also like the liner notes/booklet with the nice pictures of Colm and his family and the countryside where he lives.

But I skip the Bodhran song.......

M
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Post by Tradman »

Actually, I kinda like the reverb on this album. I remember the day it arrived...I stayed home that day from work and the CD arrived and I put it on to play, laid back down on the sofa to relax (since I felt a bit sick if I recall correctly) and I was amazed at the 'otherworldly' place that it took me to.

Maybe a 2nd album will be forthcoming!
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Actually, Farewell to Evening Dances is his second album. And now he's got a band, The Border Collies, and they've released an album too, Unleashed.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

This is one of my favorite albums. This is the third thread about it, since it came out, on this board.
~JessieD
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

colomon wrote:Actually, Farewell to Evening Dances is his second album. And now he's got a band, The Border Collies, and they've released an album too, Unleashed.
His first album was "The Rocks of Bawn," recorded in 1998, but that's all songs, I believe (includes a few of the same songs as on Farewell to Evening Dances).

There are also a few tracks of Colm's playing on the Mountain Road (Music from South Sligo) CD, including duets with his brother. Great stuff!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

And then there's Colm's "Heart Strings" CD - love songs.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

bradhurley wrote:His first album was "The Rocks of Bawn," recorded in 1998, but that's all songs, I believe.
Yeah, that's why I never bothered getting a copy. :)
There are also a few tracks of Colm's playing on the Mountain Road (Music from South Sligo) CD, including duets with his brother. Great stuff!
This is what I get for not reading the liner notes -- I knew he produced the album, but I had no idea he had tracks on it as well. Great album.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

In the liner notes Colm tells of how he had music lessons forced on him as a child, and did not appreciate them until later in life. (There is a thread somewhere on this board about children and lessons.)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

bradhurley wrote:
colomon wrote:Actually, Farewell to Evening Dances is his second album. And now he's got a band, The Border Collies, and they've released an album too, Unleashed.
His first album was "The Rocks of Bawn," recorded in 1998, but that's all songs, I believe (includes a few of the same songs as on Farewell to Evening Dances).

That's where I first heard him. Another essential CD, IMO....

You know what I love most about 'Farewell?' It's so, well, unassuming. Just charming and sweet without being cloying or Disneyesque ...

Every time I listen to it, I love it more.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

One of or maybe the best cd I have. I'm drwan to emotional music and he does it well. Also a very appealing, simplephoto on the cover. I was thinking of putting it on the best ITM cd cover thread.