'Blowing in the Wind'--which whistles hold up?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
khl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

'Blowing in the Wind'--which whistles hold up?

Post by khl »

I live where there are fairly consistent tradewinds. This tends to cut out the whistles if I'm outside and not sheltered. Are there whistles--either brand name or certain general types--that hold up better outdoors in breeze/wind than others?
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Of the whistles I have the Cheiftain, and Susato do best in the breeze. A Sweetheart also does well, though I have only had it a short time so can't be sure. My observation is that larger holes and more air required translate into better performance in wind. Some whistles that I own that do not do well in the wind include: Hoover, Elfsong, Clarke original, Burke. Quiet whistles fade to a whisper outdoors and a strong wind only makes it worse.

Some people turn the plastic fipple upside down so it is exposed to less wind. Some people face away from the wind, some face directly into the wind. Playing in shifting winds can be challenging no matter what the whistle. Playing in the upper register helps (more air).
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

My Syns ( High A to E), Alba (High D Standard), Cheiftan (Low F), and Merlin (Low D) are fine in the wind I play outside all the time with them except the A Syn which is really weak and sensitive anyway. My old Dixon did horrible in the wind.
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

Most Copeland whistles (from C on down to low D it looks like) have a built-in wind screen:

peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Susato has worked for me before.

--James

P.S. on any tunable whistle, try reversing the way the fipple faces; have the windway point back toward you. That way you become a sort of windshield; it helps.
Gillie

Post by Gillie »

My Alba Q1 is great outside as long as there's not a gale blowing!
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Interesting and helpful responses. Thanks.

I see that Wanderer includes this general category on his whistle reviews, though some of the earlier reviews don't. It's a good resource.

http://www.tinwhistler.com/music/reviews.asp

Of course, more comments about which whistles have good wind resistance (or not) would still be welcome.

Cheers,
Keith
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

My Sweetheart Professional handles wind with aplomb...as do my Susatos. Anything else I own requires me to do the "wind dance."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Who here remembers this?

http://geocities.com/dazedinla2002/index.html

(Hope the picture shows; it's a GeoPiccie...)
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Any whistle with a tuneable headjoint will do fine in the wind. Just twist the head so that the window is facing your chin. :P
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Hi Ava, Haven't seen you 'round for a while. I hope you're able to deal with London. Been happy slapped yet?
khl

Post by khl »

This thread was a bit ago, but today I happened to take my Walton's Little Black Whistle on my short walk to work (a walk that takes me straight into the tradewinds). The Little Black--that interesting whisp of a whistle--played really well through the wind. Go figure. Someone could probably explain the physics behind why some work well and others don't--just not me.

Thanks again to all who commented. I especially like the tiny umbrella cover and the others on the link.
Keith
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I used to think big toneholes, volume, and high air volume and/or pressure would make a good wind-resistant whistle..

I've recently been totally fooled..
Hoover was good in wind (doesn't have any of these characteristics)
Overton wasn't (has these characteristics more than many whistles)

I've found absolutely the best for wind:
Susato
Abell
Copeland
Sweetheart Pro

I've never had to give my outdoors playing a second thought when using one of these.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I was playing my Bleazey in the full blast of a window style AC and it did really well.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

If it's a tuneable whistle, you can play with the fippple downwards. I've noticed that some of the simple low cost whistles play better upsidedown in the wind and sometimes they just sound better upsidedown period.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D