Wooden Flute Obsession Discs 3 & 4 - suggestions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Wooden Flute Obsession Discs 3 & 4 - suggestions

Post by kkrell »

Well, now that the first pressing of the Wooden Flute Obsession 2-CD set has made it out there into distribution (& due for reviews in Songlines, Irish Music Magazine & Living Tradition), it's time for me to consider another set of discs to whittle away at the "glaring omissions". Info on Discs 1 & 2 are at http://www.worldtrad.org . The compilation consists of 1 track per artist of solo (mostly Irish) flute, some with backing.

The IRS has made a favorable determination on the non-profit, tax-exempt status of the International Traditional Music Society, and
such educational projects as these have qualified as an acceptable mission-related activity. All sound recordings were donated by the artists and labels, and the track selections were in most instances selected or approved by the musicians. Compilation mastering was by Charlie Pilzer, a Grammy award winner for 1998's Best Historical
Recording.

As in the previous edition, I would appreciate the flute & IRTRAD community's input and assistance in selection of tracks, limited of course by availability and willingness of the artists & labels. If
you can provide contact info, possible track choice, or a testimonial to the artists to encourage their participation, your help would be appreciated.

Here's a list of possible players not yet appearing. Some may not have recorded any flute tracks. Please feel free to email me
mailto:kevin@worldtrad.org with any comments, additions/deletions, or possible tracks to include.

Cormac Breatnach, Vincent Broderick, Alex Burke, Conor Bryne, Jack Coen, Seamus Cooley, Kevin Crawford, Sharon Creasey, Gregory Daly, John Doonan, Packie Duignan, Brian Duke, Brian Finnegan, Michael Flatley, Frank Gibbons, Dan Gordon, Gary Hastings, Kevin Henry, Peter Horan, Michael Horgan, Dan Isaacson, Elaine Jeffreys,
Dolores Keane, Sean Keane, Rebecca Knorr, Claire Mann, Emer Mayock, Maranna McCloskey, Larry McDonagh, John McKenna, Ciarán McNamara, Leo McNamara, Margie Mulvihill, James Murray, Chris Norman, Carlos Nunez,
Pat O'Gorman, Conal O'Grada, Murrough O'Kane, Gerry Phelan, Paul Roche, Ben Stephenson, Paddy Taylor, Michael Tubridy, Brian Vallely,
Sharon Whelton, Desi Wilkinson, Bill Wiseman, Peter Woodley

Some Breton players:
Yannig ALORY, Michel BONAMY, Yann CARIO, Malo CARVOU, Ronan DISSEZ, Herve GUILLO, Erwan HAMON, Emily HAWKES, Pol JEZEQUEL, Christophe
MARQUIER, Stephane MORVAN, Nicolas QUEMENER, Jean-Luc THOMAS

Thanks for any assistance,

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
kevin@worldtrad.org
Last edited by kkrell on Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MurphyStout »

I know that Carlos Nunez is a great multi-instrumentalist, but I was unaware that he also plays the flute? Does he or are you broadening the instruments featured on this cd? I would assume that you're mixing the sound of him on a tenor recorder to that of a flute? Is this accurate or am I wrong?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

On 2002-12-10 20:57, MurphyStout wrote:
I know that Carlos Nunez is a great multi-instrumentalist, but I was unaware that he also plays the flute? Does he or are you broadening the instruments featured on this cd? I would assume that you're mixing the sound of him on a tenor recorder to that of a flute? Is this accurate or am I wrong?
Wrong. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/folk/artist ... rlos.shtml . He's been playing flute for maybe 20 years. His flute performances are here (1 line, ending in APPEAR):
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 392#APPEAR

I don't obsess over whether the flute is the artist's primary instrument, just that it's a good flute track, and maybe stands out a little with its own style, as an example to the student. So Joe "Box" Burke or Frankie Gavin (or Seamus Egan on WFO - plays a lot of strings these days) would qualify.

I'm not trying to broaden the use of other melody instruments on the CD (although I hoped that varying the accompaniment on WFO was a good idea). My consuming interest is in the flute and the melody. However, as my own interests broaden, and time and money allow, I'll probably begin to obsess over other instruments, like whistle, concertina, pipes, maybe even something beyond reeds. Everybody needs a hobby.

Flutes seemed to be largely ignored in terms of compilations/collections, and that's how I got the idea to produce the Wooden Flute Obsession CDs. Other instruments already seem well-represented. Keep in mind, though, that few compilations reach across label boundaries to provide a significant sample of more than just a few artists.

I definitely believe that the non-profit nature of the ITMS organization and projects has helped in getting the cooperation I received from the artists and labels. Of course, they're probably all pretty tired of my whining by now, so I don't know if I'll get a chance to do it again.

Kevin Krell
smoro

Post by smoro »

Carlos Nuñez studied baroque flute in the High School of Music (Conservatory in english?) and graduated with the maximun marks. He also learned pipes at the same time.
S. Moro.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: smoro on 2002-12-12 05:10 ]</font>
murrough o'kane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by murrough o'kane »

Hi Kevin,

Sorry I have only seen this post 2 years later, but work away.

Murrough
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Three years later, actually, and in fact, Discs 3&4 (also known as WFOII) are already out. WFOIII is in production I believe.
murrough o'kane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by murrough o'kane »

Ha ha,

Sweet!

I'm quick off the mark!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Please take my name off that list.

Harry Bradley.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Mmmm. Harry , you're not on any current list - this was a resurrected older thread when Murrough ran into after 3 years. Not my fault (note the dates). However, I will check and edit anything I can to reflect the current state of affairs. Sorry if you're getting bothered by anyone at this late date. If you check back and are satisfied, we can edit or delete these messages for a cleaner read. We've both explained this in other threads, so there shouldn't be any confusion.

Thanks,

All the best,

Kevin Krell

OK, fixed. I suppose I should just refer to who actually now DOES appear on the CDs - see for WFO1, WFO2, & proposed WFO3, respectively.

http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO_CD2.htm
http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO2_CD2.htm
http://www.worldtrad.org/WFO3_CD2.htm
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

Kevin;
On going to the above new link for WFO3 I see your main graphic of the CD cover is backwards.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Tom O'Farrell wrote:Kevin;
On going to the above new link for WFO3 I see your main graphic of the CD cover is backwards.
So?

That's because the graphics for the CD won't be done until nearer completion. So I just tinted the color, flipped it around, and used the resulting image as a place-holder. You have to admit, you don't actually confuse it with WFO1 or WFO2 by its appearance. But it should follow in the same style. I have some Chris Wilkes images, but I'll still be looking for other flutes to use on the cover. I just met David Shorey ( http://www.antiqueflutes.com ), who lives in my area, and has photos of many of the flutes that have passed through his hands.

Kevin Krell
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Paddy Carty, Tom Morrison, John Sheridan. Murty Rabbit on the piccolo. Eddie Moloney.
What are Noel Rice and Joanie Madden doing on an album called Wooden Flute Obsession?
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I'm listening to the sound samples for your CDs, I like the ones where all you hear are guitar intros!
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:I'm listening to the sound samples for your CDs, I like the ones where all you hear are guitar intros!
Are you a guitar player? Most of the individual samples were the first 20-30 seconds of each track, whatever was allowed. The large MP3s of each disc contain 10 seconds from the absolute beginning of each track. So if the player wanted an arrangement that started with guitar, that's what you'll hear. Truth in advertising.

BTW, I reserve the right to stretch the definition a little bit. Joannie Madden and Noel Rice do come from wooden flute traditions, and their playing is substantially different from, say a classical silver Boehm flute player, in terms of articulation, breathing & phrasing, ornamentation, etc. The idea was also to have solo flute tracks, but there are 2 ensemble tracks on each volume, as those are what were available. The point was still to have the flute melody line distinguishable in each set.

And if you can hook me up with permissions to use the players you mentioned, I'll be happy to go ahead. This includes material needing restoration to be usable (to correct to pitch as originally played, tape stretching, hiss, buzz, etc.).

Kevin Krell
Tom O'Farrell

Post by Tom O'Farrell »

I wasn't being critical Kevin, over the flipped picture, I thought it was a mere oversight when up-loading or something.
Tom O'Farrell.
www.tomofarrell.ca