Thanks, Phil Hardy, excellent work

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Swarf?

Best wishes,
Jerry
I think he said smarf.
StewySmoot wrote:For the record...

He sent me an email about a week ago, said he had checked it, removed some "smarf" (sp?), and was returning it to me.
Now, what would THAT be an acronym for?

Oh, and I have a Chieftain High E for sale. :party: I am an Overton kinda guy. :D
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
StewySmoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Thanks a lot, Mr. Phil Hardy, thanks a lot

Post by StewySmoot »

Whitmores75087 wrote:

It now sounds absolutely magnificent with the Trade-mark™ Kerry Whistle quality I have come to expect from each of his products.

It is extremely satisfying to feel comfortable playing any of Phil Hardy's Kerry Whistles and equally as important to know that the Phil responds to concerns quickly and professionally.
Thanks again, Phil, you are great to do business with!
This is not the first time I've read someone praising Phil and his work. Each time it sounds like a press release. Or is it just me?
It is you and perhaps a handful of others who find it necessary to imagine things whenever Phil Hardy is concerned.

You left a very important line out of my quote to take it enough out of context to support your contention:
"Only once before had I felt a need to send a whistle in to be checked, and I got less than satisfactory results from the maker."
One well-respected whistle-craftsman took 2 weeks to tell me there was nothing he could do. Phil turned it over in a day. Minor problem, granted, but the fact that it didnt take him 2 weeks (and me having to call for status) is worth noting.

I am also write for a hobby and I put the Smoot style in it to catch attention. Obviously I succeed.

I enjoy Kerry Whistles. I also enjoy Busman Whistles. I also enjoy Freeman tweaked whistles. In the past I have written positively about my dealings with each of the latter two. You can look it up.
And I have written favorably about other whistles that I felt deserved notice, although they were not right for me. You can look that up too.
And if you search the forum for other posters reviews of other whistle craftsmen, you will find that commenting favorably is not uncommon in the slightest.
And I dont see them getting the type of response you infer.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

"Swarf" would have been a logical thing for him to say. Swarf is the name for machining debris, typically the bits or curls of waste metal that accumulate around a metal lathe or mill.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Hey, maybe it IS just me. Maybe people who like his stuff just happen to be eloquent.
SilverStrand

Post by SilverStrand »

I have a lot to thank Phil for as well!

I've got a lovely Kerry Songbird, great strong sound!
"Block out the Sun and Pack up the Sky"
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Songbird? I had one of those one time. I think it was one of the early ones. Cost $90 at the time.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've never had a songbird.
I did have an old-style soprano D, which I didn't like it all.

Judging by how different the old-style low D is from the new-style, I would expect his new-style soprano D's to be improved, but I couldn't say for sure.
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Chek out the movies on Phil's web site. I looked at Lunasa shots, some good stuff there.
Henke

Post by Henke »

StewySmoot wrote:One well-respected whistle-craftsman took 2 weeks to tell me there was nothing he could do. Phil turned it over in a day. Minor problem, granted, but the fact that it didnt take him 2 weeks (and me having to call for status) is worth noting.
I had a problem with a non-tunable Chieftain low D which wasn't really a problem a few years ago. I thought it was out of tune to A-440. I wrote about it on the board and got several responses indicating that Chieftains were low quality whistles and that it wasn't a surprise that the whistle was untuned. I wrote Phil about the problem and he told me to send it back. A week or so later I recieved a tunable low D Chieftain instead of the whistle I had sent him, no charge. It turned out that the accordion I had tuned to was quite flat and that was the reason why my perfectly tuned Chieftain felt out of tune. I guess Phil just found that there was no problem with the whistle but he still needed to do something about it since I had a problem with it, so he sent me a whistle I could tune myself, a whistle that would normally be a lot more expensive, without asking anything in return. Now that is customer service which is damn hard to beat. This man has all my respect, and I can't for the world understand why some people will always think the worst of him whatever he does.
Phil is the best, period
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

Henke wrote:I had a problem with a non-tunable Chieftain low D which wasn't really a problem a few years ago. I thought it was out of tune to A-440. I wrote about it on the board and got several responses indicating that Chieftains were low quality whistles and that it wasn't a surprise that the whistle was untuned. I wrote Phil about the problem and he told me to send it back. A week or so later I recieved a tunable low D Chieftain instead of the whistle I had sent him, no charge. It turned out that the accordion I had tuned to was quite flat and that was the reason why my perfectly tuned Chieftain felt out of tune. I guess Phil just found that there was no problem with the whistle but he still needed to do something about it since I had a problem with it, so he sent me a whistle I could tune myself, a whistle that would normally be a lot more expensive, without asking anything in return. Now that is customer service which is damn hard to beat. This man has all my respect, and I can't for the world understand why some people will always think the worst of him whatever he does.
Phil is the best, period
That is impressive!
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Henke wrote:This man has all my respect, and I can't for the world understand why some people will always think the worst of him whatever he does.
Phil is the best, period
For your benefit, Henke, for the benefit of those who attacked Azalin on the other thread, in particular those who did so rudely, and finally, for the benefit of those newcomers who have no idea what is going on here, let me spell it all out one more time.

First, there are strict rules on this board guiding promotional posts for businesses. Anybody who is seen to be trying to get around those rules, either by openly defying them, or by using website gimicks, will provoke a hostile response from some of us. (That is what Azalin was complaining about.) Nobody is singling Phil out here; others perceived to be violating the rules also get called on it. Many whistle makers contribute here without annoying anybody. Those who stick strictly to the guidelines have no problem.

Second, there are still unresolved issues over the circumstances of Phil's parting company with Bernard Overton and Colin Goldie that go back many years. Do a search to find out what all that was about. To cut a long story short, only Phil can resolve those outstanding matters but when he addresses them they never quite seem to get resolved. So if some people seem to be unkindly disposed towards him, that has something to do with their wanting to see the unresolved issues finally resolved.

I hope that demystifies the situation for those who are puzzled.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Regardless, there is no reason why anyone who is not in the whistle crafting business cant post something positive about a whistle craftsperson in a whistle forum. If its about Phil Hardy and you think there are "unresolved issues" with him, that is not my problem.

Second, when I first got into whistles 4 years ago all I heard (on this board) was that Phil Hardy's whistles were cheap Overton imitations from people who had been playing whistles for far longer than I have. So I shied away from them. Having now owned both of them, I can definitively say they are two completely different whistles. (Hey, I never did say thanks for the misinforming biased info, y'all!)
I point this out every time someone starts one of these "Goldie/Hardy unresolved issues" posts. No one has argued against me yet.
Yeah, and I did those searches to find out the "unresolved issues" history. All a bunch of unsubstantiated opinions. Same people who say the Chieftain is a Overton knock off. Absolutely worthless to figure out what was going on. Besides, that is between Mssrs. Goldie and Hardy and is inappropriate fodder for speculation on a whistle forum.
According to the Chiff and Fipple website, any marketing misunderstanding that existed between Overtons and Phil Hardy's instruments was clarified back in 1998 in a posted letter from Colin Goldie to Mr. Wisely. That be 7 years ago.

If you continue to choose to be unkindly disposed towards Mr. Hardy, that is your prerogative.

I think I moved on...
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I sent a sound clip of my ........ Low E to M. ........ to demonstrate a problem I was having with it, particularly in the upper register. I had given it what I felt was a thorough cleaning but that did not rectify the problem. It sounded as if I was blowing more air than sound.
He acknowledged that he heard what I was talking about and requested I sent it in for evaluation.
So some 2 weeks ago, I sent it in. Since he is overseas I expected him to receive it after, what, some 7 days?
He sent me an email about a week ago, said he had checked it, removed some "smarf" (sp?), and was returning it to me.
I received the whistle today.

It now sounds absolutely magnificent with the Trade-mark™ ................ Whistle quality I have come to expect from each of his products. It is now one of those whistles that I cant put down. I plan to spend the rest of the evening enjoying the music that comes from it (whether my audience of 2 cats and 2 dogs will feel the same is another matter)

Only once before had I felt a need to send a whistle in to be checked, and I got less than satisfactory results from the maker.
It is extremely satisfying to feel comfortable playing any of .........'s ......... Whistles and equally as important to know that the ....... responds to concerns quickly and professionally.
Thanks again, ......, you are great to do business with!

(I wonder if he ran it thru the dishwasher AKA kdmartinky??)
Now, let's just fill in the blanks at our own pleasure, and see if this generates 2 pages of .......

Whistle reviews, as certainly as opinions others form about inividuals, are OPINIONS. Reviews can be read or not. Blue thingies can be clicked on or not. Topics about certain things can be opened or not. Making a decision about whether a maker breaches board policy is Dale's job (and he does it well, in my OPINION) KEEPING a feud going after 7 years(on someone else's behalf) when you have never met the individual (or have you? I apologise if so) does not improve one's karma.

You have a mind of your own. If someone or something disagrees with you that badly, then you DON'T have to look..... I don't see anything to be gained in raining on someone's thread in which they (and others) express their appreciation for a certain maker/whistle.

M
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

StewySmoot wrote:Regardless, there is no reason why anyone who is not in the whistle crafting business cant post something positive about a whistle craftsperson in a whistle forum. If its about Phil Hardy and you think there are "unresolved issues" with him, that is not my problem.
Who said it was your problem? Who said you can't post positive remarks about Phil if you want to? I was responding to a statement Henke made and only to the statement. There was something he didn't understand; I explained it to him. Where do you come in to this?
StewySmoot wrote:Second, when I first got into whistles 4 years ago all I heard (on this board) was that Phil Hardy's whistles were cheap Overton imitations from people who had been playing whistles for far longer than I have. So I shied away from them. Having now owned both of them, I can definitively say they are two completely different whistles. (Hey, I never did say thanks for the misinforming biased info, y'all!)

Many people have never bought Phil's whistles because of the unresolved issues. I believe those who made comparative remarks did so sincerely. Are the whistles you like the ones he was making back then?
StewySmoot wrote: I point this out every time someone starts one of these "Goldie/Hardy unresolved issues" posts. No one has argued against me yet.
What is there to argue against?
StewySmoot wrote:Yeah, and I did those searches to find out the "unresolved issues" history.
Search a bit harder.
StewySmoot wrote:

If you continue to choose to be unkindly disposed towards Mr. Hardy, that is your prerogative.
Why thanks. I was beginning to wonder.
StewySmoot wrote:I think I moved on...
By your own admission you had nothing to move on from.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote: Making a decision about whether a maker breaches board policy is Dale's job (and he does it well, in my OPINION) KEEPING a feud going after 7 years(on someone else's behalf) when you have never met the individual (or have you?
One person asked a question. I gave an honest answer. Nothing more.

I'd like to see the feud end but it isn't in my gift to make that happen.