Is Seamus Egan the best flutist of all time?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JeffS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JeffS »

No, he's not. Lovely player, indeed, but a Jack Coen or Mike Rafferty he is not.
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

i would say so, he is inventive and fast, and i think his style is unmatched
MarkusT

Post by MarkusT »

I would say Jean -Michelle Veillon at the moment....
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

[quote="MarkusT"]I would say Jean -Michelle Veillon at the moment....[/quote]lets hear a sound sample
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

JMV is on volume 1 of Wooden Flute Obsession. There are sound samples on the website.

If your unfamiliar with Breton music it may be hard to digest but Mr. Veillon has an uncanny mastery of the flute which puts him high on the list of top flute players. Apart from his ability on the instrument he has virtually invented a tradition. Though it had some predecessors in Breton music, JMV has done the most for immersing the wooden, simple-system flute into the traditional repertoire.

Cheers,
Aaron
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

cavefish wrote:... and i think his style is unmatched
That statement sounds very odd to me.

Oh and someone mentioned In Good Company. Crawford certainly isn't the greatest if there is such a thing, but I enjoy that album. The tunes are all very understated and you can tell that Crawford is just enjoying playing, he never tries to take anything away from the fiddlers.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

OnTheMoor wrote: Oh and someone mentioned In Good Company. Crawford certainly isn't the greatest if there is such a thing, but I enjoy that album. The tunes are all very understated and you can tell that Crawford is just enjoying playing, he never tries to take anything away from the fiddlers.
Yes, I think that's why the album is fun to listen to. Egan sounds like he's always in a contest or something.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Speaking of fun, I'm actually getting quite a kick out of those kids on the new Danu CD these days. Nothing crazy, but super-solid -- and they just seem to be having a ball.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Speaking of fun, I'm actually getting quite a kick out of those kids on the new Danu CD these days. Nothing crazy, but super-solid -- and they just seem to be having a ball.
We saw Danu play live...they give an incredibly good show, not only with wonderful music but also with the humor and the friendliness...they really know how to reach out to an audience and involve them.

--James
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Post by Tradman »

Wormdiet wrote:I recently got Kevin Crawford's In Good Company. I am blown away by the playing and the arrangements. It is very relaxed, almost stately in places, but very good.
Still, my favourite flute album of all time...I've bought this album twice! The first time was for my cousin and I actually kept it longer than he did, wore it slap out, and then bought him another copy and kept the original for meself.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

[quote="OnTheMoor"][quote="cavefish"]... and i think his style is unmatched[/quote]

That statement sounds very odd to me.

Oh and someone mentioned In Good Company. Crawford certainly isn't the greatest if there is such a thing, but I enjoy that album. The tunes are all very understated and you can tell that Crawford is just enjoying playing, he never tries to take anything away from the fiddlers.[/quote]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ yea i guess i would sound weird if i read it from someone else, but i just thinkhe is very talented and one of the greats, not to mention davy spillane and laura mackenzie
Last edited by cavefish on Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Chris Norman!

- r
Hip O'Potamus

Post by Hip O'Potamus »

monkey587 wrote:
MurphyStout wrote: The Seattle Egan is a very good banjo player BTW.
Agreed. His CD "In your ear" is a monster.
http://www.seamusegan.com
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

Lets have some common sense here, at least some of us older flute players,
(i would'nt pay much attention to some of the younger upstarts anyway),
there is no such thing as the best flute player, all styles of flute playing by good flute players is interesting, and only a knucklehead would come--up with an idea of best flute player.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Chris[/quote]

Well Chris, he may be refering to the lawsuit between Solas Seamus Egan and the Seattle Banjo player Seamus Egan. The Solas Egan sued the Seattle Egan because they both have the same name and the Solas Egan didn't want somebody else's album out there with his name on it. So he sued the Seattle Egan and I believe he won. This is third hand info though so don't take my word for it. The Seattle Egan is a very good banjo player BTW.[/quote]

I just finished serving as an expert witness in a copyright infringement case. I'm not a lawyer in copyright law, but I DO KNOW that the way the above was stated makes no sense. If there was in fact a suit (and the above isn't bullsh#t) then the above certainly isn't the real facts. You can not prevent someone from putting an album out under their name period. For example...I know for certian there are 2 guitar playing Scott Hendersons, both w/records out.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!