What's on yer current reading list?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
scarhand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scarhand »

thanks!

i'm reading . . . order of the phoenix because i can't remember the details my husband will be getting 6 on cd and my two older daughters will be out of town when book 6 comes in the mail on the 16th so i get to read 6 first!!!!!

one of life's little victories!
the brave do not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

I usually have a couple things going on at the same time....

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 7846">Make Room Make Room </a>
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846">
The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Vol. I</a>
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846">
The Design of Everyday Things</a>

I swore that this year I would cut back on buying new books and start clearing out my huge stack of unread books. So far I'm 50/50 new books and books I already have.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
moxy

Post by moxy »

avanutria wrote:Ah, is that the one with the three-lettered block on the front?
Yep, that's the one.

I think that was his first book, wasn't it? And there's another one that follows it. I'm quite excited about reading it. I'm travelling at the moment, and wish I had brought THAT book with me (although the one I ended up bringing is quite good too but not in the same way!!)
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm reading Joni Eareckson Tada's second book (I get the titles mixed up, it's the one she wrote with Steve Estes).

For those who don't know, she is a quadraplegic (paralyzed from the neck down) who paints and draws with her mouth. I really like her books.

I'm also reading The Message Version of the New Testament. I really like it. It's so different from any other Bible translation/paraphrase/whatever out there. It doesn't have chapter and verse numbers, so it's harder to remember individual verses but that's that point: it reads like a novel, in paragraphs.

I've also been reading through some old encylopedias I found from the 1950s. It's interesting to read some of what's in there...
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Just finished The Death And Life Of Charlie St Cloud.
Just started In The Heart Of The Sea.
In the pipeline are Mrs Dalloway and a book about the Indian Mutiny.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm reading Faulkner this summer and so, it turns out, as Oprah's Book Club!

I was inspired to try reading Faulkner again (I haven't tried since high school) when I heard a talk by a colleague of mine who has become a publishe Faulkner scholar. I've made my was through As I Lay Dying and am now half-way through The Sound and the Fury.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Dad-gummit Dale, I almost spewed coffee all over my laptop keyboard after seeing your new avatar. :D

Just started <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 07846">The Demolished Man</a> by Alfred Bester. A few years ago I made a list of Hugo Award winners and started going though them. Pretty much every won has been at least good, usually great.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

DaleWisely wrote: I've made my was through As I Lay Dying and am now half-way through The Sound and the Fury.
Gads. The very two I had to read in HS AP English. Hope you like them this time. I can still quote an entire chapter from the first book mentioned. It goes like this: "My mother is a fish."
mikk

Post by mikk »

Image This week I have been mostly reading Image and
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

But sometimes don't you want to rough Grey Larsen up a little for his tedious attention to detail?
mikk

Post by mikk »

Yes most definitely very detailed, which is exactly why I'm alternating it with Tony Hawks. I'll pass on roughing him up though 'cause I'm not a violent man :tomato:
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Currently I'm reading "Ethics 101." I don't read much at all, however, since getting out of college. Studying English really killed my interest in books.
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

:o

Like some other folks, I've been reading Harry Potter in anticipation of the new book coming out. Read them all recently (for the first time and within the past six months) but my son likes Harry Potter (having seen the movies) so we decided to read the books together (well, me reading, him listening). We are almost through book two, reading several chapters on most days. Won't be through before the new book comes out, but that's okay as I'm getting it though the library, long waiting list there, also wanted to read it first by myself and by the time all that happens we will probably be done reading the first five books.

And wonderful fluff it is....

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Jack

Post by Jack »

CAKE OR DEATH!!!!!

:lol:

I loved that show. I watched it a long time ago on HBO.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

My favorite Faulkner: The Reivers (made into a movie with Steve McQueen, who was terribly miscast as Boon, the not-quite-all-there "hero").

I'm reading (for the nth time) "Genius" by Patrick Dennis (the same guy who wrote "Auntie Mame"). It's probably the funniest book I've ever read and I never tire of it. I read it again whenever I'm going through really hard or stressful times. Out of print and nearly impossible to find, so I guard my little paperback copy with my life - cover now gone and looking pretty yellowed (I think I've had it since about 1974).

Susan