A poll (by way of introduction): How did you get started whi

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Hi all,

I'm new here, and I thought this might be a fun way to introduce myself and to get to know other people on this board (and what a wonderful board it is! If you'd have told me 10 years ago that I'd find even ONE other person who loved whistles...let alone a whole on-line community of fellow whistlemaniacs...I'd have seriously questioned your sanity!)

I saw my first whistle the summer I turned 13, though I didn't know what to call it. I was working as a volunteer at the Expo '74 folklife festival in Spokane, WA, and I was sooo jealous of the people who were walking around with these nice little wooden "flutes" (end-blown, and thus actually whistles, though I didn't know the difference at the time) they'd paid $10 to learn to make at the instrument maker's kiosk. I'd just learned to play a few simple tunes on a bagpipe chanter, courtesy of another of the festival exhibiters, and I yearned for a little pipe of my own to play. It was 1974, however, and $10 was a lot of babysitting (and who had time to babysit when there was a World's Fair in one's back yard?).

Flash forward to 1975. The World's Fair was over, and my family had just gotten cable TV (yes children, there was a time when most of us only had a couple of channels to choose from). Somehow, while surfing the incredible riches of 10 channels, I stumbled across The Irish Rovers Show on CBC...and there was Will Millar, playing an instrument very like the little "flute" I'd coveted at Expo (which he called a "tin whistle"). And man...he could really PLAY it! I'd figured something like that would be fun to play around with, but I'd never realized you could get such lively and complex music out of such a simple instrument! I didn't realize it then, but a beginner's case of WhOA had been kindled....

Shortly thereafter, when I was walking home from school, I happened to pass a music store...and there, in the window, was a whistle just like Will Millar's! Actually, there was a whole rack of them, nickel and brass, in different keys. I'd finally succumbed to the necessity of babysitting, and I had a whole $10 in my pocket, so I went right in and bought the biggest one in my price range (a brass-plated Generation E-flat), took it home and, with the help of the fingering chart it came with, started picking out tunes. Every Wednesday night at 7:00, I'd be glued to the TV, watching The Irish Rovers and picking up new tunes to try on my whistle.

All good things come to an end and, while I mourned when the Rovers went off the air, I quickly figured out that not only they, but also most of the guests they'd had on their program (The Clancy Brothers, The Dubliners, etc.) had produced record albums (remember those?) Three guesses as to where most of my babysitting money went after that?

That whistle became my constant companion. It rode in my backpack to school, where it kept me and a few friends company during lunch breaks and at the bus stop. It rode in my bedroll to summer camp, where it once ended up at the bottom of Lake Coeur d'Alene. When I went off to college, it came along, and together we fought off my dorm mates' late night heavy metal fests with "The Rakes of Mallow" and "The Rocky Road to Dublin." When I moved to San Francisco to "find myself" it rode along in my jeans pocket, and occasionally earned me a little coffee money ("Honestly officer, I'm not panhandling. I was just sitting here, playing for my own pleasure, and it got hot so I took my hat off. Can I help it if people keep tossing coins in it?")

The whistle came along with me when I married and moved to North Carolina. I'm afraid it spent a few years gathering dust on a shelf after my daughter was born (when you have a colicky baby, your life revolves around two things...getting the baby to sleep and keeping the baby asleep and, sadly, whistling was conducive to neither). One long, dark night after Hurricane Fran, however, as I was looking for a flashlight, my fingers found the whistle's familiar shape instead. We were all grouchy, after days of cabin fever (you couldn't go anywhere for a couple of weeks after the hurricane because of downed trees and power lines), so I took it out back, under the incredibly bright stars (no power, no ambient light) and started picking out a slow air (I later heard one neighbor nervously telling another about the "eerie noise" she'd heard that night..."almost like music" (I did mention it had been a while since I'd played, yes?), and thus the legend of the Mad Piper of Trotter Ridge was born :wink:.

Times have changed, as they always do. I'm back in California. I now have a couple of hundred TV channels, but rarely watch the thing. The colicky baby is now nine years old, and plays the recorder...and I have a lot more time to play my whistle. Well, make that whistles...I've acquired a few more in the interim ("A FEW more?" my husband grumbles. "If you get anymore, we're going to have to build them a room of their own!" My favorite, however, is still that battered old Generation E-flat (it's so battered, in fact, that I had to hold it up to one of my other Generation whistles to confirm that it's an E-flat...I've never had perfect pitch, or a particularly good memory!). I know Generations are supposed to be "iffy," but I guess I got a good one...it has a lovely, sweet tone and a lively response, and it fits my hands like it was made for them. Who says first loves aren't the best? :smile: I mostly just play for fun, but my daughter just told me that one of the parents at her school is trying to get a kids Morris troup going "If some of the parents will volunteer to be musicians," so it looks like my old faithful friend may soon have a second career as a Morris pipe (or maybe one of the Ds or the C...depends on what other folks are playing, I guess)!

So, how 'bout you? Who are you, and why do you whistle? :smile:

Redwolf
ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChrisA »

On 2002-05-31 17:16, Redwolf wrote:
(yes children, there was a time when most of us only had a couple of channels to choose from).
*snicker* You're not the -youngest- person on the board, but I think -most- of us remember that time more clearly than you do :smile:
(We have a wide range of ages here, from as young as at least 17 to as old as... well, let's not get too intrusive, hmmm? :wink:)

OTOH, you're lucky to have stumbled on the whistle so early... I've only been playing a little less than a year. After a year of toying with the idea I finally picked up a whistle at renfaire and haven't put it down since... (well, figuratively...)

My first whistle is not my favorite, or my second, or my third... my favorite is like, my fifth or sixth low-end whistle, an Oak D. Which does not help my WhOA, because having had such success in the search, I have to, of course, keep trying whistles in case something even better is out there. :wink:

--Chris
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Well, I became an Irish Dancer about a 2 years ago. I quickly fell in love with the Celtic music, and I especially liked the sound of this "high-pitched flute-thing" I kept hearing on my recordings.

In October of 2000, I seriously injured myself when I came down from a jump, and had to stop dancing. (I ripped the tendons away from the bone in a small spot near my pinkie toe...) I quickly found out that I would go stir crazy without having anything to do that was dance related. So, as I had started my musical education when I was five (Piano) and was still actively in Band (Alto Sax), I decided that "well, why not try something music-related?"

So, I got busy (the Internet is a wonderful tool!), and started searching for Celtic instruments, and lo and behold! I stumbled onto a page about the Irish Tinwhistle, and that was it. I was totally fascinated, and I continued researching it. I found out that that was the "high-pitch flute-thing" I had enjoyed listening to, and when I found out that you could get a good one for a relatively inexpensive amount, I had to have one.

That led to my Mom getting me a Feadog D at the local music store for $8.95, and soon it led to a Susato, a Weltmeister, two Clarkes (C and D), and soon, another Clarke in D- natural finish.

I'm very glad I learned what it was, because Celtic musicians (especially whistle-folk) are wonderful people, and the music is totally awesome.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Redwolf..I enjoyed your recount of you and the whistle. My story is very different. I have come to the whistle much later in life. I grew up believing that I had no musical ability whatsoever. My father could play anything by ear at the drop of a hat. Becasue I could not do the same (I always figured he was born playing something) right off the bat I labelled myself 'unmusical' and never tried anything.
Then about a year ago I was at a concert by my favourite tenor, John McDermott. There was a fellow playing Uillean pipes and the whistle. I was so taken by what he was doing. The next day I saw a Walton whistle and instruction book in a store. I bought it on a total whim. I played around with it, following the instuctions for fingering. And to my utter amazement I was able to pick out simple tunes. I began to think maybe I was not so hopeless after all. Ten months later I am still playing, I have three whistles and two more on order. Whistling has opened up a whole new world to me..new friends, new places to go and a sense of accomplishment I had never expected. I will never be great, I know that, but, by cracky, I am going to be adequate!

Moral of my tale: thinking you can't means you don't.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Once again,

"My first whistle was an Irish made copper pipe and plastic-head variety. I got it sort of by accident. I saw in the Mel Bay catalogue 'Celtic Kit, Music Book and Instrument combo.' I was curious . . . and was ordering some things from them anyway, so I ordered it for a very small price. I was quite pleased with the whistle."
Reasonable person
Walden
MrTuffPaws

Post by MrTuffPaws »

I picked up my first whistle as an impulse buy while buying strings for my banjo.

I almost feel sorry that I did. Instead of walking around the house with a banjo slung around my shoulders, it is far easier to carry a whistle instead. I practice whistle about twice as much as banjo now.

Something to say about small easy to play instruments.
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

I bought a fiddle on Ebay. Was gonna learn da fiddle, just like those cool Chieftans. Bought a whistle for Dad...thought he'd take it up so we could play together...Then I moved to Florida...

Dad of course never took up the whistle, and when I visited them in March, well, there was the whistle and Geraldine Cotter's tutor sitting there with a fine layer of dust on both. Their house is on a 21 acre spread north of Sacramento...lots of open space to be a squeaky beginner, and thats exactly what I did when I wasnt chopping down and hauling trees and doing all the other things that Dads want their sons to do for them when you have a privately owned 21 acre forest...a real live Chevy truck commercial.

So that got me started. Then I came home and found C&F online, and the rest is, well, the same as everyone else, I suppose... So I've been whistling, what, two and a half months now. Strange, seems like its been a lot longer than that, now that I think of it...

And a few days ago I dug out that fiddle...and lo and behold I can play tunes on it by ear--based on what I've learned from the whistle!

DAZED
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/whistleannex/index.html">The Whistle Annex</a>, Home of the Chiffboard Matrix
AnnaDMartinez
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I started out on a tonette in 4th grade! Took a few years out, though, there is a recorder or two. too! That was a century or two ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2002-05-31 19:07 ]</font>
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2002-05-31 18:56, Anna Martinez wrote:
I started out on a tonette in 4th grade! Took a few years out, though, there ia a recorder or two. too!
All right! I started on a tonette in the 4th grade too. The 4th grade was quite memorable. Sometime in November of that year the world was supposed to end. A bunch of people waiting out on the hillside and all that. At about 2 minutes after the appointed time there were a bunch of relieved 4th graders. Whatever happened to tonettes? I haven't seen one in quite a long time.

Steve
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

LOL! Sorry Chris...I deal with nine year olds all day (I teach chorus at my daughter's school), and I'm always being asked to tell about the "old days" (*grin*). My daughter and her friends can't quite conceive of a time when no one had microwave ovens, personal computers, CD players and digital cable. I keep trying to tell them that 40 hardly qualifies as ancient, but I'm not sure they believe me :wink:.

You folks who mentioned the tonette: I wish I'd been exposed to the tonette in school...what fun! I've seen one, of course, but never played one. Are they fingered like a whistle, or like a baroque recorder? I was so pleased to see our school start teaching recorder (starting with the second graders)...music is so important, and a lot of kids can't afford a piano or a guitar (let alone the lessons).

Hmmm...maybe I should start some of my chorus kids on the whistle (but then again, maybe not...their parents would probably lynch me!).

Redwolf
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

Never heard of a tonette before; our equivalent was the flutophone, also started in fourth grade. From there, clarinet (eventually, alto and bass as well), saxophone, recorder, harmonica... Picked up an old Generation C whistle (back when the Cs at least *sounded* good, even if they weren't in tune) more than twenty years ago, and played it some.
Forward to a couple of years ago; our worship team was playing something from "Revival in Belfast", and a whistle would sound nice. Got a Susato or two (or perhaps more, can't recall for sure) when I stopped by Elderly Instruments, discovered this rather interesting site, and am playing with increasing proficiency. (There have been some whistles added since; Susatos, Hoovers, a couple of Shaws, a few Generations, a Burke (soon to be two.))
And I fully agree about the portability of the whistle. These now get practiced on lots more than the saxes. (Can't quite see myself playing a sax at work, either.)
Praise Him with the tambourine and dancing;
praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

Both my parents were born in Ireland and I think the only sounds they considered to be music were Irish music. Everything else was noise. So I grew up with Irish music and the sound of the whistle, though I didn't know what the instrument was. I thought it was some kind of flute, since a flute was the closest thing I'd seen. We couldn't afford a flute, so I got a fife, but I kept trying to play quietly so as not to bother people while I learned -- the consequence being that I never learned to play the fife. I picked up other instruments along the way, though. Guitar and other string instruments, hand drums, a few tunes on my father's button accordian (which I now have!).

A bunch of years later I saw Cherish the Ladies perform, saw Joanie Madden play the whistle, and thought *WOW* -- what is *that*? A bit later still, at another music festival, I saw a Feadog and learner's book for sale, for an amount of money that was reasonable even if you end up not being able to actually play the thing :smile:. So I figured what the heck. Took it home, tried to play quietly, gave up.

Not long ago, I went to a music weekend at a school in PA. I happened to notice there'd be a beginner's workshop on tin whistle. So I brought mine along. By the time I left the workshop, I could sorta play it -- and I'd come to understand that really quiet is not a possibility. I practiced in the car on the way home. My partner practiced in the car on the way home too (this is a contagious instrument!) Gosh, that was just the beginning of this month. But I love the sound of this thing! (Okay, not when I play it, yet, but I'll get there . . .)

TK
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I remember the first time I saw a tinwhistle. A guy I met at the folk club I sometimes sang at in Barry, Ontario was learning to play it. The other folkies were very dismissive, however, and I didn't know enough to be interested.
About 15 years ago, I picked up a generation D, thinking to use it as a background or filler instrument in my folk group, but found it harder to play than I had expected and abandoned it(short attention span,I guess.)
Then, about ten years ago, I bought a little tutor and started learning more seriously. It took a long time to sound even halfway decent with it, and I was terrified of the squeaky second octave, especially as I had two young kids at the time and their sleep time was my only practise time (my daughter hated to see me with an instrument in my hands, since it took my focus off her adorable face for a while :smile:) Then, the imminent arrival of twins put paid to that burst of learning.
A couple of years later, I was at a music camp and someone was giving a whistle workshop. I took it, but in some ways it was a mistake. This whistler told me that it was incorrect to use tongueing, and I went back and tried to relearn everything I knew, using only cuts, etc. to separate repeat notes. It sounded awful.
Finally, a new folk club started up near my home, and there was a regular session as part of the evening. I found I was itching to get in on it and finally learned some of the tunes they do there. I also met a whistler who could give me some real advice, correct some mistakes, and give me the encouragement I so desparately needed. Then I met some people who play fiddle tunes every week and they invited me to join them, so I started learning tunes faster. I'm still working on my speed but I've come a long way in the last year or so. Reading this board has also been vastly educational and entertaining. I'm having more fun with music than ever before. My confidence level in singing and guitar has gone way up as well, and I'm even learning to play a borrowed fiddle. As Dazed mentioned, knowing the tunes already helps a lot.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Wow...I've never heard anyone say it was incorrect to use tongueing before. So that teacher expected you to separate every non-tied note with a cut? Seems awkward, to say the least!

I sometimes get irritated with my daughter's recorder teacher because he hasn't taught the kids to tongue (could be because his instrument is the trumpet, I guess). They blow every note separately...it looks like a bunch of little heaving bellows up there on the stage! I've been trying to teach her, but you know how it is with kids: "Mr. so-and-so doesn't make us do that, Mom!" (sigh!). Well, at least she's learning to read music.

I know what you mean about little ones and practice...my daughter used to try to find some way to distract me every single time I sat down to play!

Redwolf
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Don't you love that stage when you can't possibly know as much about anything as the great almighty teacher! It must be doubly exasperating for you since your kid knows YOU are a teacher and therefore teachers must be human beings, too.

The no tonguing thing apparently comes from piping, and those who are really excellent can make it sound wonderful, but for the likes of me it was a disaster.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blackbird on 2002-06-01 21:41 ]</font>