Looking for a good high end whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve-o
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for a good high end whistle

Post by Steve-o »

Hi everyone. I have recently been getting more into whistle playing and have gotten a nice quiet whistle, an Alba Q1, but I think WOAH is hitting again. I play with an ethnic music group with the college I go to, and we are going to be doing an Irish set this year, and I will be playing the tin whistle for it. I am looking for a whistle, hopefully under $100, though I might go up to $150. I will be playing into a mic, but will have a full band behind me, also with mic's, so I will need something on the loud side. I was thinking about a Syn. What are people's thoughts about them, or what are others whistles that I should be considering.
AiglosCelt
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Post by AiglosCelt »

I would absolutely say a Paul Busman whistle, but they run for about $250...I have one, and it is absolutely incredible in every conceivable respect...if you're interested, check out www.busmanwhistles.com
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Syns are a great whistle for the the price. Plus, you can get the extra bodies really cheap as well and this seems like it would be nice for your kind of group. The lower Syns really need to be used with a microphone. It also depends on what kind of whistle you want.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Im looking for something that has a good amount of chiff and backpressure. Needs to be somewhat loud, and I want to be able to push it.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Steve-o wrote:Im looking for something that has a good amount of chiff and backpressure. Needs to be somewhat loud, and I want to be able to push it.
I'd contact the family of the late, great Glenn Schultz and get a Water Weasel. For under $100, you'll have a killer whistle made by one of the greats in the field. I believe they're still answering Glenn's mail at Thnwzl@aol.com
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

brewerpaul wrote:
Steve-o wrote:Im looking for something that has a good amount of chiff and backpressure. Needs to be somewhat loud, and I want to be able to push it.
I'd contact the family of the late, great Glenn Schultz and get a Water Weasel. For under $100, you'll have a killer whistle made by one of the greats in the field. I believe they're still answering Glenn's mail at Thnwzl@aol.com
Under $100???????? :boggle: I thought they were way more than that.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

IDAwHOa wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:
Water, not Thin. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

I agree with the Water Weasel. Also I'd consider a Jerry Freeman Tweaked MellowDog or a Humphrey's Wide Bore.

Good Luck,
Jon
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I love my Syns they are absolutley great. From what you say you might want to try a Susato.
chrysophylax

Post by chrysophylax »

for around the 100-150 mark, I would go for a burke. I just think they're great at the price. But that's just me. I haven't played a Syn.
What??
emmline

Post by emmline »

If interested in the Water Weasel, contact Alespa, via pm, on this board.
I also suggest you visit the main website and read up on the high-end whistle listings.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

A Syn is precisely what you are looking for. It has said backpressure, is in your price range and has a fair amount of chiff. go with the Syn.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

jsluder wrote:
IDAwHOa wrote:
brewerpaul wrote: I'd contact the family of the late, great Glenn Schultz and get a Water Weasel. For under $100, you'll have a killer whistle made by one of the greats in the field. I believe they're still answering Glenn's mail at Thnwzl@aol.com
Water, not Thin. :wink:
:oops:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I have 2 Burkes, 2 Water Weasels, 2+ O'Briens, & etc.

I just received a Soprano D&C set from Reynaldo Reyburn. I haven't had time to play it a lot and write a review for it yet, but I'm completely amazed. I doubt I'll find anything to greatly cloud my first impressions.

This one is NOT his loud session whistle, but it's strong and complex from the bell note up. More volume than any of my other whistles, especially where all the others have weakness, in the bell note.

For $110 + shipping you can order the High D Session in the heavy wall version. Tell him you want it loud and chiffy and whatever else you have in mind. Reynaldo will talk to you about exactly how you want it voiced.

I'm really surprised we don't see more about Reynaldo's whistles on the board. But, I'll have a review posted in a few days.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

What are the sound difference between the syn and the water weasel?