A rather odd question....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

LChop wrote:I use a French drip.
Nope. No way. I ain't gonna touch it. No!

djm
Last edited by djm on Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

dubhlinn wrote:We don't have Starbucks in this neck of the woods.

Slan,
D.
Plus, why would anyone go to Starbucks when they've got Neros in the UK?
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've never seen a Star Bucks, but it seems a lot of people hate them--why?
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cranberry wrote:I've never seen a Star Bucks, but it seems a lot of people hate them--why?
It's just easy to hate something that multiplies like a virus.
Truth though is that I hit one occasionally.
The other truth is that as big a deal as they make of displaying the bean roasting process, and touting their exotic sources, calling everyone a barista, etc....the coffee's pretty average.

I think their success is just so excessive that they've become an easy joke target.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Cranberry wrote:I've never seen a Star Bucks, but it seems a lot of people hate them--why?
Because they drive fun and interesting local cafes out of business. In themselves they are fine but in aggregate they are annoying.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

dubhlinn wrote: The mention of Chicory, which I cannot bear, brought to mind some odd concoction I remember from years back.It was a highly concentrated treacle like liquid that came in a tall narrow bottle.It was supposed to be chicory flavoured coffee that was made by adding boiling water to a teaspoonful of this gunk.I've not seen it in years now.

Slan,
D. :)
Like this?

For the curious, this is a French drip coffee pot. Coffee goes in the top, you pour the water over by hand, bit by bit. Nothing automatic.

In its more modern incarnation:

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, we have no fun and interesting places in the larger town near us and I'll tell you Starbuck's beats 7/11 coffee by quite a long way. And in the airport---my spirits really rise when I see a Starbuck's in an airport. You guys just don't know how hard it is to get a decent cup of coffee out here---by that I mean reasonably strong.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Lambchop wrote:
dubhlinn wrote: The mention of Chicory, which I cannot bear, brought to mind some odd concoction I remember from years back.It was a highly concentrated treacle like liquid that came in a tall narrow bottle.It was supposed to be chicory flavoured coffee that was made by adding boiling water to a teaspoonful of this gunk.I've not seen it in years now.

Slan,
Like this?

For the curious, this is a French drip coffee pot. Coffee goes in the top, you pour the water over by hand, bit by bit. Nothing automatic.

Do they actually use those in France?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Lambchop wrote:

Slan,
Like this?

Now that takes me back. This is a brand I haven't seen before. The brand most commonly available in Australia and England featured an Indian in a Turban on the label.

It is really a different drink to real coffee but it has its fans. When I lived in England—mid 70s to early 80s—a cafe in the Oxford market sold only coffee made from this gunk and brewed in boiled milk. People went to the cafe especially for the coffee.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Wombat wrote:

Now that takes me back. This is a brand I haven't seen before. The brand most commonly available in Australia and England featured an Indian in a Turban on the label.

It is really a different drink to real coffee but it has its fans. When I lived in England—mid 70s to early 80s—a cafe in the Oxford market sold only coffee made from this gunk and brewed in boiled milk. People went to the cafe especially for the coffee.
The Turban kind might be different, but the French Market is regular coffee. It's just cold-brewed and concentrated. Just add hot water and it turns into . . . coffee.
Last edited by Lambchop on Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:For the curious, this is a French drip coffee pot. Coffee goes in the top, you pour the water over by hand, bit by bit. Nothing automatic.

The Cranster wrote:Do they actually use those in France?

I don't know if they use them in France.

They might have come over from France, but I think they're called French because they were/are used by the French in Louisiana.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

I agree Starbucks is annoying, I hate asking for a half caff, double shot, semi skinny, grower friendly, demi-semi grande pretentious Lat-tay, when all I really wanted was a coffee. Trouble is I like the taste of their stuff.
The reason I asked is because Mrs.D. likes a weak cup of coffee so I give her the first one and I have the second...I just wondered was there any difference between them.
Slan,
I have to give the first cup to my wife as well, I have to pour it slowly so she gets all the froth from the top. Anyway as I said earlier, its definitely the extra bits that, because they are heavier, come out when you pour the second cup that make it slightly stronger.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Slan,
D.
They actually will be opening soon in Dublin. Taking over where Bewleys left off i am afraid. Don't you love modern Ireland :roll:
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Peter Laban wrote:

Slan,
D.
They actually will be opening soon in Dublin. Taking over where Bewleys left off i am afraid. Don't you love modern Ireland :roll:
A few have opened up here I've noticed. I have no idea how they expect to do business. With a large population of recent immigrants from Italy, we already have loads of coffee shops selling the real thing. To a large extent, they've replaced the old-fashioned but lovable tearooms selling tea with soup, pies and toasted sandwiches.

That said, I'm not betting against Starbucks. I remember when McDonalds opened up here and I said: this will never catch on, they're marketing to children and children don't eat hamburgers. Boy was I wrong. I had no idea their marketing strategy was to catch them young and keep them. The old-fashioned Greasy-Joes with real beef hamburgers are few and far between these days. But Starbucks won't be able to target children so the McDonald's strategy won't work.
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

My names Mark and I used to eat McDonalds :oops: . Its been a year since I ate my last one and with the help of family and friends I hope to stay clean. Trouble is I drink Starbucks and have just got into Subway sandwiches - those darn Yanks and their peddling of addictive substances.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)