Is it OK to force your kids to play pipes ?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
TheSilverSpear
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Part of me wishes I had started pipes earlier and that my parents had made me do it. Part of me is glad I didn't. I started French horn in first grade and my parents were constantly nagging at me to practice. Subsequently I liked the horn less and less and played it less and less until I finally quit. I tried joining a couple bands, and found it incredibly difficult to follow my part and stay with the rest of the band. I also have fond memories of my French horn teacher giving me a challenging piece of music to work on, and I'd make a weak attempt at learning it, decide it was hard, and back off. Needless to say, I felt like the French horn was going nowhere. Would the same thing have happened with the pipes if I had started too young? Who knows.

I also started choir in the ninth grade, had fun, took like two voice lessons with the idea that I might be able to get into the upper-level choirs at my high school, and found out that singing was kinda hard. I stayed in choir, but did no outside work on it. I was a decent singer when I had twenty people around me singing the same note I was singing. Then sophomore year of college I helped start an a cappella group on campus and found out that I could not stay on key to save my life when I was the only person singing that part.

Maybe I'll be a better piper for starting later when I had the internal motivation to work really hard at it. I'm picking up piping technique faster than I ever picked up French horn technique and even after five months, I'm a far better piper than I was a cappella singer (which ain't saying much for my a cappella :)). Those eight years struggling on the horn and five in choir had me convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that I was musically challenged and would never be vaguely competent on any instrument. Last year hung out with Conor McKeown a little bit (the funny part of that is that I had no clue who he was. Then I started getting sucked deeper and deeper into the piping world and realized it and was like, "Oh, wow.. was I ever CLUELESS"). He said if I wanted to play, I should play, and I told him that I was probably too musically challenged to ever play an instrument like pipes. But the pipes are proving me wrong.

My point is that it depends on the kid, the instrument, the circumstances, etc. Forcing your kids to play instruments might further their career into becoming Paddy Keenan. Then again, it might not.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Just about everything should be tried, including parental insistence, along the way. I think that competition is appropriate for kids - ANYTHING to get them to the critical stage where they enjoy and seek out the music themselves.

Competing in music as an adult is just silliness.
mukade

Post by mukade »

Peter Laban wrote:You'll have to check the new CD the Mckeown are launching next week if it worked out. :D

Seriously though, they have to go their own way, you can only create an atmosphere where music is associated with good things and hope it will create an interest. Once they go though you do need to find a way to keep them practicing in most cases. Which may involve some arm twisting and coercing.
My young fellow did the wise thing, he went for the whistle and the concertina. I wouldn't recommend any child starting the pipes unless they were seriously interested.

Even if your son is not a piper, this photo should be the next cover of An Píobaire. :D

Mukade
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

An homage to photos of Seamus Ennis and Al Purcell.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

piping kids

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Three of my four children (ages 12, 11 and 9) are playing the fiddle (in the schiool orchestra as well) and I have had to both push and motivate them. We have a chart with their names on it (and mine) listing all the tunes that each of us know how to play. Each week on Friday night we have a family movie night (FMN) where i select an old classic B/W or a modern but acceptible movie rented from blockbuster or from the local library. They expect popcorn or ice cream and look forward to the event every week. They earn the right to attend (vs going to bed) by learning (memorizing) a new tune each week (accept when they are practicing peices for the schools orchestra concert). If they don't learn as well as recap the tunes that they have learned in the past four weeks, they go to bed instead (normal time) of staying up late. So far only one incident of them (two of three) not making it to the FMN. It still requires us pushing them to not procrastinate and work on a tune early in the week. Really interestg reinforcment of having them exposed to tunes, in my case, me playing my pipes, has made it really easy for them to pick up the tunes that I play because they have heard me playing those tunes for so long that they had them in there heads already. Another reinforcement we have, combined with family reading club, is that my children receive no weekly allowance on money. For every book that they read (excluding those required by school), they receive points depending on the books difficulty, length and literature value (I am the judge!). Each point is worth 25 cents. Initially, the points were only permitted to be redeemed at Barnes and Noble for more books (real sneaky but they loved picking out their own books), now I let them use that money for vacation spending money (they suddenly have become real choosey about what junk they want!) and Christmas shopping. We expanded the point system to give them ten points for each Irish tune that they learn as well. Thery really pay attention to the chart and have been getting into growing their reperoir. I told them that if they catch up to me, that I would take them to the local amusement park with a few friends. Worth the investment, and it is nice to see them smile when they play. They did cry when they went to bed without FMN though.

My big quagmire is that, while I am very please with their progress on the fiddle and the tunes that they are picking up, and the sessions in the den that we have now, I still would like at least one or two of them to play the pipes (want mine to go to them when I am dead in 50 years or so). Do I pull them off the fiddle to practice the pipes or do I double them up practicing both?

My fourth child is severly autistic but loves music and maybe I can work with him when he gets big enough to teach starting with the whistle (very challenging) and eventually the pipes. I pray that he finds something like music to make a life for him. Another good reason for the whole family knowing how to play so they can have a good reason to stay in his life when they grow up.

Neil
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

Peter Laban wrote: Image
Nice looking set of sticks!

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Ciotog

Post by Ciotog »

My three-year old also plays the sticks - a flat set
L42B

Post by L42B »

I think one thing that holds people back from learning the pipes is you guessed correctly. Expense! There are a few pople I know who would love to learn the pipes. They've tried begging their parents into buying a set. But unfortunatly for them money isn't something that readily grows on trees. Most of my friends are farmers and due to the drought in Australia at the moment. Money in country towns is not readily available. This is one of the reasons (my opinion) that I have found that has held people back from learning them [Pipes]. Musically tallented Kids (in my town) mainly take up learning music on the family piano. Another reason that can put people of is the very long waiting list associated with ordering a very good set of pipes.

If your bankbalance is a seriouse consideration. Make sure your young-one is seriously keen on learning the pipes. No point buying a set and finding out two weeks later they don't wont to learn them. They are expensive.

I also believe that your child should have a choice in what instrument he/she wishes to play. Encourage them to learn the pipes. But don't be discouraged if they choose to learn another musical instrument in the Irish music scene. Or the classical arena for that matter.

Cheers L42B :)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

L42B wrote:

I also believe that your child should have a choice in what instrument he/she wishes to play. Encourage them to learn the pipes. But don't be discouraged if they choose to learn another musical instrument in the Irish music scene. Or the classical arena for that matter.

Cheers L42B :)
... or Rock-N-Roll. :D
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:

I wouldn't go that far. Look what that did to us. :boggle:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

WannabePiper wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:

I wouldn't go that far. Look what that did to us. :boggle:
... you have a good point there. :D
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I would love to have my children (daughter is 8 and son is 5) learn the pipes and they know it, but they have started taking piano lessons. Just leaning any instrument (or almost any) is a good thing. I often bring them to the U.P. club meetings, it is good exposure.

My daughter was cutting potatoes yesterday and I told her to be careful because she was going to need those fingers when she takes up the pipes someday (she had her right hand in a bad location). She just smiled up at me.

I would like to get them penny whistles and have them learn that instrument. I just got one a few months ago and have not quite figured out the pressure issue.

My son seems to be more musically inclined but you can not coerce or bribe him into anything with praise or treats, he has to want to do it (unlike my daughter, she will do anything for candy).

Every child is different and you will need to find what approach works best for them.
jdevereux

Post by jdevereux »

HELL YES!

Beat 'em, Starve 'em, anything to make 'em practice. My parents made me practice (not uing any of these methods) from the age of three to whenever it was that I realized that playing music was cool. Now, almost thirteen years from my first fiddle lesson, I could not be more greatful to them for making me play.
djm

Post by djm »

Douglas wrote: Just leaning any instrument
Perhaps double-bass? I suspect that would be good for leaning on. :D

djm
Last edited by djm on Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Well drums would be scary. We have a drummer a few houses away. It is extremely annoying. The jaw harp wouldn't count (no offense, just not exactly what I would count as an instrument).