To Kesh or not to Kesh?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DarthWeasel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

To Kesh or not to Kesh?

Post by DarthWeasel »

I'm new to playing ITM. And while reading around I've found that there are some strong feelings about the Kesh Jig. I guess people are tired of it or something.

Listening to Bothy Band's version, I really dig this tune.
So what is the deal? If I play this at a session am I going to get smiles or snarles?
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Re: To Kesh or not to Kesh?

Post by fearfaoin »

DarthWeasel wrote:I'm new to playing ITM. And while reading around I've found that there are some strong feelings about the Kesh Jig. I guess people are tired of it or something.

So what is the deal? If I play this at a session am I going to get smiles or snarles?
Depends on folks at the session. YMMV.
Here, the tune gets played once in a while, and no one's complained about it (at least to me...)
There's even a local Irish band named Kesh, after the tune.
Personally, I've gotten rather sick of Harvest Home. It gets played at every session. Oy.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Within certain acceptable limits, I'd think it would matter more how you play it than what you play; I think it's a lovely tune, when played well.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
slowair

Post by slowair »

It's a must in the three seisuins that I play in.

I still haven't devoted the time to get it so that I'm up to speed though. One of these days.

Mike
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

You should learn as many of the 'too common' and 'overplayed' tunes as you like, because despite the complaints, they are the ones that everyone knows and will play. Just try to learn other things as well. The Kesh is a standard in my session as well.

It's also generally true that the 'overplayed' tunes are all really good tunes... that's why they're played so much!
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

DarthWeasel wrote:I'm new to playing ITM. And while reading around I've found that there are some strong feelings about the Kesh Jig. I guess people are tired of it or something.

Here is the trick: learn the Kesh (and the Boys of Blue Hill, Cooley's Reel, Off to California, the Butterfly, and the Kid on the Mountain, the Swallowtail Jig ...) but never start them. That way you get to play them (fun!) but you don't get dirty looks for starting them (eek!) from the experienced players. You see: playing along is always ok, but starting same-ol same-ol tunes (week after week after week) may get you that snarl.

But ultimately: If you are going to sit in a session with only 5 tunes you can play, and they ask you to start one, don't hesitate to play the Kesh. It's a good tune (and not an easy one at that).
/Bloomfield
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

You could always start Kerrigan's jig instead.... :wink:
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I just play the Kesh between Swallowtail and Irish Washerwoman and get them all out of the way in the same set.

But then, I don't go to sessions, and I never play with anyone, and the only time anyone hears is if I'm out in the park or hanging around downtown, so there's never anyone around to care.

Bloomfield's right about the Kesh not being an easy tune. I would not recommend it as a first tune. There are breath control issues and upper octave issues and it's hard to get it to bounce just right. I've been fiddling around with it for two years, and I'm just now getting it to where I'm kind of satisfied with it.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Learn to play it and play it well, Darth. Then go learn several hundred other jigs (not all at once!). There's no harm in knowing common session tunes.

Most of the old tunes are old for a reason - they're very good! They have something catchy or satisfying about them that makes musicians of all stripes want to keep playing them.
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

DarthWeasel wrote: If I play this at a session am I going to get smiles or snarles?
IMO, if your goal is to become a regular session player, you should haunt your local session, figure out what they play regularly, and start learning those tunes. In the long run you'll get to play on many more tunes and progress more quickly if you learn the local repetoire. There are skills to playing in a session that you'll never learn in the woodshed, so you ought to aim to get as much "session time" as possible. Of course, some sessions seem to never play the same tune two weeks in a row, and there's little you can do in that case.

If you're aimed more at sitting on your porch and playing for your own enjoyment, then clearly you ought to learn whatever strikes your fancy.

-- Scott
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The Kesh Jig was the opening tune, both in performance and LP, for the Bothy Band. They came through Chicago in October, 1976.

EVERYONE in the US on the whistle and other instruments would play the Kesh. The party piece for 'beginning' whistle players would be The Harvest Home Hornpipe.
AiglosCelt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Post by AiglosCelt »

You know, this seems kinda funny to me...me and my band play together often, but there are no sessions in our area...however, these same tunes are the one's that we're getting tired of as well...ah well

Ah, I though I'd run a list of our other standbys by you folks to see if they're overused, cuz we're going to try to start hitting a weekly session...

White Cockade, Gary Owen, John Ryan's, Dennis Murphy's, Bill Sullivan's, Morrison's Jig, Haste to the Wedding, aaaand the Drunken Landlady :D
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

To Kesh or not to Kesh: That is the Keshtion.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The Rakes of Mallow or Banish Misfortune...
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Or to take arms against a sea of commonly played jigs,
And by opposing end them?