What tunes are ye working on?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chrysophylax
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by chrysophylax »

I'm trying to nail all six parts of Danu's version of "the maid behind the barrel. That's a cracking tune.
What??
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

We learned The Merry Blacksmith at the Pinecone Beginners session tonight.
It's a neat tune, and a good one to learn by ear, since it has a lot of phrase
repetition, but not so much that it becomes confusing.

(If anyone is in the Raleigh, NC area and had stopped coming to the
<a href="http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ">Pinecone session</a> because no one was showing up... well, it has been
reinstated. There were 4 people there tonight, and hopefully more
will show up in the coming months!)
Bumble

Post by Bumble »

Like Seisflutes, I've been slogging through Colonel Fraiser for a while now . I also want to pick up Ladie's Pantalettes (no pun intended)...heard a recording of it and HAD to learn it.
Isn't that how it always goes?

...insert clever signature line here
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Lord Mayo, Gravel Walk.....

I don't get out much
Dave
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

"Merry Sherwood Rangers" is the one I really want to get right, but haven't quite managed. It doesn't even make any difference if I change the title to Durham Rangers - I still can't get through the B part consistently.
Danner

Post by Danner »

For celtic band:
-Chicago Reel (like Bloom said it has those Cnat pedal notes, and that's the only thing that's holding me up with that)
-Reconcilliation (the reel -in A- darn fully chromatic instruments and their G#s)

For me:
-The Dusty Windowsill- really cool little jig
-Christmas Eve (on flute)
-The Green Gates
-The Lady on the Island
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
Leel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

barstool wrote:hornpipes!

The Steamboat Hornpipe.
The Derry Hornpipe.
Harvest Home.

I have a love for the "happiness" in hornpipes :D

~B
AGREED!

'The Steamboat' is a great, fun tune. Do know of anyone doing it on a recording?
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

INtereting to see whqt differet folks consider worth learning. I'm working on polishing up Laides Step Up To Tea and Comb Your Hair And Curl It. Also learning Clumsy Lover (jig version) and Hears Good Health To The Piper, Broken Pledge (not sure I'm that fond of this one)
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

At the moment, I am finding the "the nine points of roguery" quite intoxicating, the first time i saw it i was slightly underwhelmed, but now i really like the tune,
I have been having fun with the donegal reel also
As for jigs well....jump a the sun, snug in the blanket, the athol highlanders,
If you like polkas check out the aikendrum polka on jc's ...great tune and not hard to play,
learnt the ashokan farewell recently....just beautiful :wink:
Regards
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:Lord Mayo, Gravel Walk.....

I don't get out much
Dave
Lord Mayo - great tune! Is it technically a march or a reel?

On the jiggy side of things, I picked up Rolling Waves recently (easy to play but much fun) and am now trying to reconfigure Langstrom's Pony for flute, from GHB.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

boomerang wrote:... the athol highlanders
Man, I don't know what it is about the arpeggios in the B part of Athol Highlanders, but I just
can't seem to keep up with them. It sounds really muddy (especially the Adf part). That song is
my nemesis!
Leel
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

fearfaoin wrote:
boomerang wrote:... the athol highlanders
Man, I don't know what it is about the arpeggios in the B part of Athol Highlanders, but I just
can't seem to keep up with them. It sounds really muddy (especially the Adf part). That song is
my nemesis!
I can relate! That is a TOUGH passage. It still hangs me up. I think it's because that particualr sequence is just not very common. For me it feels like a 'muscle memory' hurdle.

So, I'm driving myself DAFT playing it over and over and over and over........ Trying to get it.

but, it still trips me.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Limerick Lassies and Buckley's Fancy...sandwiched around Old Copper Plate.

I also have my eye on Jenny's Chickens...haven't really had a good go at it yet.

I also need to 'acquire' Spey and Spade (or however its called) and The Gladstone.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Over the Moor to Maggie, in honor of my grandaughter whose name is, coincidently, Maggie.

And I am trying to re-learn Cathleen Heier's Slides. Very simple melody but playing up to speed is a challenge I have not yet met.

Recent (last 6 months): In the Tap Room, The Peeler's Jacket (reels) and Rights of Man (hornpipe)
Mike
rh

Post by rh »

working on transferring all the tunes i have on various instruments to the tenor banjo. since i've played mandolin for many years it's going pretty well, but interestingly enough certain tunes which i know well and can play at a good clip on whistle are giving me some trouble... "Fermoy Lasses", for instance, not a hard tune but for some reason i have a hard time getting it to go on banjo...