Is Seamus Egan the best flutist of all time?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

This reminds me of an earnest discussion I had with a fiddle-playing friend--he prefers Matt Malloy and I was promoting Seamus. We agreed it was a matter of taste, and made the analogy that Matt was smooth and suave, like Fred Astaire, and Seamus was wild and energetic, like Gene Kelly. All far beyond the rest of the field, and no knock on anyone.

Come to think of it, I've always had a "thing" about Gene's backside. What, um, musculature! :D

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
AiglosCelt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Man this is a hell of a hoop to jump through, I can't believe I have to actually type 100 characters in this box in order to edit my profile. What a world, dude.

Post by AiglosCelt »

*blink* :?

but seriously, I think that's a quite good comparison :D
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Best!

Post by Sillydill »

:D I am the Best!!!

Because I please my own soul, when playing the Irish Flute!

Playing music myself brings me far greater pleasure than listening to any of the "Masters".

:sniffle: I'm sure no one else will argue in my behalf!

:roll: I have a dream "one day my wife will actually ask me to play my flute!"
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

David Migoya wrote:you mean Shameless Ego?
David,

That's a pretty harsh thing to say about someone. I also think it's the kind of statement that starts gossip and rumours that don't actually seem to be based on anything, or at least nobody can say what it's really based on. If you are going to label Seamus Egan as "Shameless Ego" maybe you would consider providing some justification for that statement? Otherwise it is just name-calling.

Chris
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I was just listening to Seamus Tansey this morning. Talk about being blown away. How do he do what he do???? :boggle:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I recently got Kevin Crawford's In Good Company. I am blown away by the playing and the arrangements. It is very relaxed, almost stately in places, but very good.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

It's all a matter of taste but according do me, no doubt,

the best is, and will always be, Matt Molloy.

That's the one who seems to be the most in control, the most versatile, the most powerfull and sensitive at the same time...well the best.

My taste...

Leo
rh

Post by rh »

Veillon.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

rh wrote:Veillon.
Agreed.

Actually, I wouldn't say he's the best ever. He's just my favorite.
Last edited by monkey587 on Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Bajzek
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Throw in Larry Nugent and I'll gladly judge the competition. Sounds like a great event. "Flutestock"?
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I agree with the argument that due to the diversity of the instrument and the tradition it's really a moot point to try and name a "best ever". I myself can't even pick my own favorite because I appreciate different things from different players.

As for Seamus Egan... even though I've listened to one of his solo CDs and a Solas concert on the Beeb I can't really say I've heard enough of his flute playing to really valuate.

Cheers,
Aaron
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

I think it'd be hard to argue the multi-instrumentalist angle with Seamus - he is extremely gifted! I can't think of a single other Trad muscian with so many talents (and all of them professional-caliber!).

Matt Molloy could certainly be considered the most influencial, modern flute player - he certainly is one of my biggest inspirations, however you start throwing around names like Gary Shannon, J-M Veillon, etc, etc, etc....and the definition of 'best' gets more and more subjective. And that's not mentioning the 'Old Guard' who inspired the modern greats.

Enjoy them all, I will!

Cheers,
- Ryan
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:
David,

That's a pretty harsh thing to say about someone. I also think it's the kind of statement that starts gossip and rumours that don't actually seem to be based on anything, or at least nobody can say what it's really based on. If you are going to label Seamus Egan as "Shameless Ego" maybe you would consider providing some justification for that statement? Otherwise it is just name-calling.

Chris
Well Chris, he may be refering to the lawsuit between Solas Seamus Egan and the Seattle Banjo player Seamus Egan. The Solas Egan sued the Seattle Egan because they both have the same name and the Solas Egan didn't want somebody else's album out there with his name on it. So he sued the Seattle Egan and I believe he won. This is third hand info though so don't take my word for it. The Seattle Egan is a very good banjo player BTW.
No I'm not returning...
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

MurphyStout wrote: The Seattle Egan is a very good banjo player BTW.
Agreed. His CD "In your ear" is a monster.
William Bajzek
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

ChrisLaughlin wrote:
David,

That's a pretty harsh thing to say about someone. ....
Doesn't strike me as a particularly harsh thing to say about a famous recording artist, nor as an objectionable comment to make. People can take it or leave it, what they hear from Dave Migoya about so-and-so.
/Bloomfield