Low D I can play with fingertips

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Gilno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Low D I can play with fingertips

Post by Gilno »

HI there, I've been playing the low D whistle for a few years now and want to get a better quality instrument. I live on the Isle of Man, so chance to go and sample/play whistles is non-existant.

I play with my fingertips like on a normal whistle. I DON'T use the pipers grip as it seems really slow and inaccurate, especially when playing at speed with accidentals and other keys (as i do).

My first was an old style silver Howard (needless to say it played like a dog), my second was one of the new black Howards (which I think is vastly underrated) and my most recent is a two-piece susato that i'm not particularly enamoured with.

I quite fancy a Kerry Pro and want to know how the spacing and breath controls compare with my previous whistles.
Any help or (useful non-facetious) suggestions would be really appreciated.
www.kciom.com
home of King Chiaullee, music from the Isle of Man
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

The Kerry Pro has large holes if I remember correctly. I don't currently own one, but I have played a couple. I have large hands, but I can't imagine playing a Low with just finger tips, I prefer the pipers grip and believe that due to its hole size that the pipers grip is the only viable option for the Kerry Pro. But like I said its been a while and I don't know if Phil has changed measurements on the Kerry Pro.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Constance

Post by Constance »

Ronaldo Reyburn's new standard bore Low D is a real beauty and quite easy to play (with fingertips) with his off-set hole pattern. You use your pinkie to cover the 6th hole which is easier than you might think. The wooden head has a marvelous tone and the brass tube makes for a stunning instrument.
Check it out at www.reyburnwhistles.com

Constance
whistleboy

Post by whistleboy »

I play the black Howard Low D (new mouthpiece style) with just my fingertips as well. I am going to upgrade to the Burke Low D Viper as soon as I gather the funds. I have played one on several occasions and the viper lends itself to playing with just fingertips even better than the Howard. There is a swivel joint above the last 2 holes which makes covering a breeze. Also tone of the Burke's are unsurpassed IMHO. Here is the link: http://www.burkewhistles.com/
Here's to our wives and girlfriends: May they never meet!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

You might want to check this out, Gilno:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=29952

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
khl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but Bingamon makes Low whistles with varying distance between holes for different hand sizes--at the very least the ones for small hands appear to be able to be played with finger-tips.

http://jubileeinstruments.messianic-web ... istles.htm
chrysophylax

Post by chrysophylax »

I got a Burke Al pro viper two weeks ago, and I'm getting on great with it. Even had the courage to take it to my local session on wednesday and knock a few reels out without fluffing too much. This is the first low whistle I've owned.
What??
trisha

Post by trisha »

Don't know whether the Pro has changed, but I play Copeland Low D, old-style Kerry Pro, and a new low D by Phil Hardy all with finger tips and can't imagine playing them any differently.

Trisha
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I pulled out my tunable Kerry Pro (081204) and tried playing it with my fingertips, which I have heard are remarkably normal. Though I normally use the piper's grip, I was able to pull a tune out using fingertips.

Spacing was awkward for this type of playing, tho the spacing is typical for all of Phil Hardy's whistles. If you have tried his OS or NR Chieftain, or Songbird, then you are very close to the spacing for his Kerry Pro.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Depending on the sound you are looking for . . . if you want something more flute-like and sexy, then consider the Kerry Songbird Low D. It is a smooth player (for me), it's the best low for my fingers (average size I think) and in the group of people I play around, not one has had anything less than stellar to comment on the sound. It's the only low D I own now, and don't see a need for another.

For comparison sake, I have played Kerry (black tip), Howards (newer black), Jubilee (alloy), Dixon and Alba.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I use a piper's grip but both of my low D's could be played with the fingertips if I had even an average size hand.

One is a Tony Dixon, the other an Overton. I know that if you talk it over with Colin Goldie, he CAN adjust the hole placement to make it easiier to finger.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Agree about the Dixon being easily played with the high-whistle fingertip grip.

But when I got my (old-style) Howard, using fingertips was painful, so I forced myself to practice piper's grip. And now that I'm used to it (took me a couple of weeks to really convert) I find that not only is it easier on my hands, it's faster than the "normal" style (and just as accurate). Enough so that I normally use piper's grip on my Dixon low D and Serpent F, both whistles where fingertip play is quite possible.

Tastes, they do differ. But once I put the time in to practice (and learned that the secret of piper's grip is to be firm, but light - you get more air leaks when you grip tightly) I went from hating piper's grip to preferring it for everything below the soprano range.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I concur on the piper's grip. I hated it at first, now I like it.
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

When I got my Kerry Songbird Low D,I was ready to send it back,as I couldn't get used to the pipers grip at all,but after a short while it became easier,and now it's second nature.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Whistling Willie wrote:When I got my Kerry Songbird Low D,I was ready to send it back,as I couldn't get used to the pipers grip at all,but after a short while it became easier,and now it's second nature.
These replies are probably not what you are after about pipers grip. I have played on sopranos and lows with pipers grip only. I started out as a piper and so I know no different. I tried with fingertips a few times, but found pipers grip to be far faster and natural. less cramps and easier to do ornaments. It probably is a case of preference and what works for you, but don't knock pipers grip, it works just fine.

Ian
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp