In Memoriam

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
talasiga
antispam: No

In Memoriam

Post by talasiga »

One of my favourite aunts died yesterday. She lived in a highland village in Fiji Islands. When I was a kid we would vist her village - my mother's village. The road to it was on the other side of the river and when we arrived we would have to holler for someone to come across in a boat to get us across to the village.

My aunt was perfumed by the woodfire smoke. She cooked hot rotis for our breakfast over a cow dung hearth in a thatched hut. Her eyes too were often smoky because her heart was sweet and sad at our departures.

Some time ago she visted us in Australia. I took her everywhere, all about Sydney but she was a country woman. Whenever we asked her what she really wanted to see, what was important for her visit to Australia, she would turn to me and say, "Son, I would love to see an apple tree".

So I took her on a long drive over the range and at Bilpin she blessed a large apple tree in full crop. She posed under it for the photos jubilant as a child and she cried with delight.

My aunt was illiterate but from her I learned courage in gentleness. She was neither a leader, nor a teacher but she could see beauty and who would not want to follow such sight? Ultimately beauty can only be beheld by love .....

If there is anything that you like in this post please join me in offering an air, any air, in tribute to my aunt and those of her ilk who are leaving this world. May a trace of what they have shown and shared scent the music we play.

:cry:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

talasgia - I need to take issue with one part of your message:

"...She was neither a leader, nor a teacher ..."

I think she taught you a lesson that has no price.

And I agree with you, that people such as your aunt are getting few and far between, and most no longer have the chance to learn from them.

Comfort to you..........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

How lucky you are to have known her. I wish we could see a picture of her under the apple tree. But I have that lovely image of her in my head. Have you considered writing down all your memories of her?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

A beautiful tribute Tal.

I'll send out "Se fath mo Burtha" (The reason of my sorrows) in her memory.

May She rest in Peace.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Re: In Memoriam

Post by emmline »

talasiga wrote: If there is anything that you like in this post ...
I like this--You've acknowledged and celebrated your aunt's traits. Traits representative of real life, real value, real characteristics which enrich human interaction. Real stuff that makes life good.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

talasiga, that was beautiful. your aunt was a beautiful person. take care.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Talasiga, thank you for telling us about your aunt and a little bit about her life. Her desire to see an apple tree made me think of "Londonderry Air", which we probably all know as "Danny Boy". The first verse of the air mentions apples and apple blosoms. It is a beautiful poem and one of best loved tunes in the English-speaking world. I played it this morning, thinking of you and your aunt.
http://www.contemplator.com/ireland/derryair.html

http://www.theoriginofdannyboy.com/
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

missy wrote:talasgia - I need to take issue with one part of your message:

"...She was neither a leader, nor a teacher ..."

I think she taught you a lesson that has no price.

And I agree with you, that people such as your aunt are getting few and far between, and most no longer have the chance to learn from them.

Comfort to you..........
The best teachers are really just sharers.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

My condolances to you for your loss. My admiration for your love and respect. I'll play a tune or three for your aunt.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thank you for sharing, Talasiga. My condolences.

-paul
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Talasiga,

What a wonderful tribute to your aunt. I am sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing her story with us. I will play a tribute for your aunt also.

Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Your aunt was a good teacher and I think you were a good student. She lives on in what you gained from her..................

By the Side of the Rock seems appropriate here.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

It is obvious in your post how much love she generated in your life. Although she was from another island, I played "Women of Ireland" with tears in my eyes. May her beautiful soul fly free ... and visit you from time to time.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Thank you so much all of you. My soul is flying too.

I have just spent this year's flute budget on my air ticket to her funeral. It has been over thirty years since I set foot on the sacred soil of Fiji and I hope I will not feel a stranger in my mother land. My loved ones are going one by one. There is nothing worse than feeling the chill in a hot land.

I imagine we can tap strength in the crevices of trepidation. I know she did. Surely I can do this in memory of her. Her final gift?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

A lovely and fitting tribute to a woman who, there is no doubt, influenced and enhanced your life in so many ways... some of which I'll bet you have yet to discover.

I wish you a safe flight to Fiji, and may you feel like you have just come home when you are there.

I'll play my air 'Mo Chroi ag an Doras' (My Love at the Door) in her memory this day.