How common? Resonance

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How common? Resonance

Post by BillChin »

This never happened during the many years I've played whistle, so it seems unusual to me. I was playing my new Tipple flute solo and during the break one of the string players remarked that one of the strings on his instrument started to hum. He commented that it confirmed that his instrument was in tune (assuming mine was :)). Anyone else ever have this kind of thing happen? How about the sitcom scene of shattering a glass with the flute?
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've had that happen quite often, but only with flute and not with whistle. For me, it happens if I play too close to my wife's guitar.

Eric
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

My flute causes interference on my computer monitor when I hit certian notes! :-?
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

My living-room is tuned to D. I'm pretty sure it's down to the metal-framed sofa bed and all its steel springs, but every time I hit a D on whistle or flute, the whole living-room resonates and the note sustains.

Never noticed any effect on my computer monitor though! (Maybe flat-screen TFT jobbies are unaffected by Jon C's curious phenomenon?).
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Jon C. wrote:My flute causes interference on my computer monitor when I hit certian notes! :-?
I get this my. monitor is in D. I suspect this only occurs with trinitron monitors which have wires instead of a shadow mask.
Rob
I.D.10-t

Re: How common? Resonance

Post by I.D.10-t »

BillChin wrote: Anyone else ever have this kind of thing happen? How about the sitcom scene of shattering a glass with the flute?
I seem to remember a piano that did this, As for the wine glass If you rub your wet finger over the top of the glass, so that it makes a note, that is the not you need to hit. Unfortunately, I heard that the volume needed is both painful, but almost impossible to get without amplification.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

When you experiment with sound, you will find resonance everywhere. It is especially easy to demonstrate with stringed instruments. Holding a guitar close to your lips, humming or singing notes will cause the strings of the guitar to vibrate. Rooms also have one or more resonant frequencies. Trying humming in a note in the bathroom or shower. Usually one note will be quite loud. I also like to resonate the goat skin head of my frame drum by gently humming close to the drum head surface. It will really start vibrating if you get the note just right.

You have probably heard about mechanical, ticking clocks in a clock store. By the principle of resonance on the walls of the room and in the air, all of the mechanical clocks in the room will entrain with each other and will tick at exactly the same instant.
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

I've often had objects break when playing the flute........usually those that miss me !
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

There are all sorts of things that resonate around me. In particular, there's a mirror in the dining room (we use an old dresser as if it were a hutch... ) which resonates on E. In other rooms, other items will resonate on different notes. I think some of the windows are in A. When I was at a session the other day, listening to a tune I didn't play, my flute resonated to certain notes from the fiddles, I'm pretty sure to the D. Not very audibly, but I could feel the vibration in my fingertips as if I were playing. Covering different fingering patterns didn't seem to catch resonance on any other notes, though.

Breaking something with resonance is very tricky to do. Aside from having really high volume to start with, you then need to bend the note up just a little to create some kind of interference that causes the breaking. Otherwise the glass will just happily hum away on the note. It's not a skill I particularly aspire to, however. I prefer my wineglasses intact.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:I've often had objects break when playing the flute........usually those that miss me !
<a href="http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythb ... busters</a> had a great episode a few weeks backs where they demontrated shattering crystal wine glasses with sound. They started with generating the resonance frequency of the glass and amplifying it, using their amplified voices, and finally had a singer break one using his unamplified voice.

I had always heard about classically trained singers being able to do this, but it was still cool to see it actually happen. Of course in this case it was a heavy metal singer, not opera.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
phcook

Post by phcook »

ChrisA

What do you put in your wineglasse's? Just curious...
Breizh soner
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

phcook wrote:ChrisA

What do you put in your wineglasse's? Just curious...
Err... wine? ;)

Often a high-production california white zinfandel, but not always. I recently had a wine from 'Bundu Star' that I thought was remarkably good.

Beowulf, that sounds like a great episode. Too bad I missed that one. (The rocket car one was fun though. Has nothing to do with flutes, but it was fun... ;) )
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Jon C. wrote:My flute causes interference on my computer monitor when I hit certian notes! :-?
Are you sure it's not your eyes vibrating?

A few years back, I made a low D tuneable didge out of a piece of
gray pvc drain pipe. This pipe was fairly thin walled,
and was the loudest didge I've ever heard - and I've still got it!

Anyway...
when I was practicing, I was also reading something on my monitor,
and the words were 'bouncing'.
When I asked somebody else to look, the words were still!!
Therefore it had to be me.
I did some research on this and found that eyeballs vibrate at 18hz i.e.
infrasound. My didge was producing vibrations at less than 20hz as well as the nominal'D' frequency.
Sure enough, an engineer friend of mine tested it in the firms lab,
and it did put out vibrations at 18hz, as well as other frequencies.
Soundwise it was a 'dirty didge' :D
Wierd!

Beats booze or pot for feeling strange!
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

That is awesome.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I've experienced the vibrating eyes with a jaw harp.

Yesterday at pipe band practice I felt my water bottle resonating with the drones.

Cheers,
Aaron