free pints of ale

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

dherce don't know if you've found this page already, check it out otherwise, can listen to some sound files of the laughing whistles.
http://members.tripod.com/nherbison/
slainte, Amar
DazedinLA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DazedinLA »

dherce:

Here's another suggestion...I know you meant well, didnt mean anything by it, but now you/we all know how some feel about inaccurate thread titles.

One thing you might do, rather than posting a new thread, is to rename this thread. Since you created the thread, you can rename it so that it reflects the real question you are asking. You are alsomore likely to have someone look at the thread who has the info you want.

Also, there are links to prior board discussions about the Sindt Cnat issue on the site below.

DAZED

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DazedinLA on 2002-05-30 11:40 ]</font>
JMcCYoung

Post by JMcCYoung »

On 2002-05-30 09:48, dherce wrote in part:

are these "laughing whistles" really any good- or is that just a bunch of malarkey?

... their sound is truly as good as their telescoping design..
I don't have an authoritative expert-player's answer on Laughing Whistles or Sindts, but since I have a high D of the former and an assortment of the latter I can give you my amateur impressions.

The LW has a very pure sound, with little chiff. Air requirements are extremely low because of a narrow windway, but as you might guess from that it's also prone to clogging. It's certainly the quietest whistle I have and from what I've read is one of the quietest "available" (on which more below).

It's not quite as professionally finished looking as my Sindts (although by no means shoddy) and the sections are a tiny bit loose, but not so loose that I worry about it collapsing while I'm playing as long as I'm moderately careful. The brass walls are pretty thin and I wouldn't want to accidentally sit on it, especially with it in an extended state. Collapsed and in its protective ex-baby-sock in my fanny pack I don't worry about it being crushed.

I use it as my carry-around whistle to play while waiting in the car for whatever reason, but don't use it much other than that.

how do I get me’ self one? I've tried emailing noah but my efforts were to no avail. perhaps one of you has a phone number?
As someone else said, he's in school, and he has a record of being slow to return inquiries. What effect if any the summer having arrived (or nearly so, depending on his school's schedule) will have on his correspondence and whistle production is anyone's guess. I know that Beth/Avanutria and one or two other people got long-delayed whistles from him a few (?) months ago and were very happy with them.

and what of these sindt whistles by comparison?
They're louder than LWs, but not by much. They're heavier and sturdier, with a better fit and finish. Their sound is a little chiffier (which in my particular samples is more noticeable in the A, Bb, and C whistles than in the D). People frequently compare them to very good quality Generations, which comparison I can't speak to, not having a Gen D; the Bbs are similar in sound but the Gen Bb is a little chiffier and louder. As you will have read in this thread and elsewhere, the Ds don't do cross-finger Cnats well. That and their quietness compared to some other high-end whistles are the only problems (to some people) that I've read about them.

I will add the minor detail that when I play tunes that require half-holing to make an Fnat (our session's version of Cook in the Kitchen has a couple of them in part A), I switch to a Shaw or Clarke because the half-holed note is very weak in the Sindt; on the other hand, you might not want to hang out with people who play those show-off instruments that work outside a scale. :wink:

I don't know what the current wait is, but I'm guessing on the order of 9 months to a year.

Does that help?

John
dherce

Post by dherce »

john, thank you ever so much... that was a huge help!
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

I actually happen to know of a used Laughing Whistle for sale..
dherce

Post by dherce »

On 2002-05-30 13:27, Wandering_Whistler wrote:
I actually happen to know of a used Laughing Whistle for sale..
really? or are you just toying with my emotions again? =)any info would be great. thanks!
gemm84

Post by gemm84 »

Gee, I sure am glad I didn't use my idea to try "How To Tweak an O'Riordan" for a subject heading.
Curiosity is the mother of ruined whistles.
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

MMMmmmm. Pudding. :smile:
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I have to wonder if anyone was really expecting any free pints of ale when they read the heading?
:smile:
dherce

Post by dherce »

blackbird... i know, i had to learn my lesson too:

never underestimate the gravity of an alcohol related topic in a predominately irish forum.
just because i have a low attention span doesn't mean i
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

At least the topic wasn't anything remotely related to milking whistles or those anorexic Corrs girls!!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I don't have a Sindt for comparison but, my Laughing Whistle is one of my favorites.( I won it right here, courtesy of CDon's celebration of his birthday.It is very quiet, good for nitetime practice when you don't want to disturb/irritate others in the house, it also plays IN TUNE. It does tend to clog easily but that can be delt with. I really like mine.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Anyone wanting free pints has only to come to our Sunday session and play. Guiness free to the musicians.

But I agree with the tumult of making topic lines topical. Should be in the FAQs page, as if anyone reads THAT.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

[quote]
On 2002-05-31 09:49, tyghress wrote:
Anyone wanting free pints has only to come to our Sunday session and play. Guiness free to the musicians.

That would be hard to do, since you are a moving target, Tyghress. Where is your Sunday session?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato