Despairing Improver need tips to progress on whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
markbell
antispam: No

Post by markbell »

I became much more satisfied with my Susatos after I gave them away. :D
sibilo ergo sum
Craig Stuntz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Despairing Improver need tips to progress on whistle

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Flauta dolce wrote: *occasionally breathing.
In addition to the page Steve suggested, which is the best discussion I've seen, I have one additional suggestion which helps me.
Flauta dolce wrote: My Ear for music could be improved somewhat. Suggestions are welcome.
Again, the link Cynth suggests is probably the best place to start. But after you've read that, look at this advice I received and Deborah Clark Colón's article on the subject.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Here's another site you may find useful (go raibh míle maith agat for this link, Mike!):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/folk/sessions/

I'm finding it really useful for getting in the groove of playing along with other musicians (no matter how good you are at playing on your own, this is definitely a learned skill).

As far as good-sounding vs. bad-sounding Susatos go, they're not everyone's cup of tea (I happen to like mine, but that's me). If it sounds great to you when someone else plays it, though, it's likely that you're just not quite at the level where you can get the best sound out of that whistle. It happens. I'm amazed, when I go back to whistles I got when I first started playing, at just how much better they sound now...and trust me, it isn't the whistles that are improving!

Bloomfield is right about not being afraid of the second octave...regardless of the whistle you're playing. It may seem odd, but the players who tend to sound the worst in the upper register are the ones who are worried about sounding "shrill" or "loud." Just play the notes, pushing as hard as you need to, and don't worry about whether you're "too loud" or "too shrill." The more comfortable you get with them, the better they will sound. He's also right, though, in that Susatos are especially loud in that upper register...you might want to work with a quieter, mellower whistle first until you get comfortable playing up there.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Re: Sussato D whistle

Post by FJohnSharp »

Bloomfield wrote: P.S.: I am not kidding about the earplugs.
No he is not.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

And the neighbors to consider. :lol:

What made it even worse was that I sounded so bad anyway, and then to be so terribly loud on top of it. I closed all the windows, but I still felt they could hear me a block away. It actually made me feel very self-conscious about practicing.

My husband kept saying he didn't mind it, but then, I guess he sort of had to. He wouldn't want to be hearing for the rest of his life about what a great whistler I could have been if only blah, blah, blah. :lol:
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I think everyone needs a Hoover Whitecap to practice on. Nice and quiet, and oh, so sweet! You can play that second octave when the baby's sleeping! Then, after progressing through an O'Briain "Improved," an Elfsong, a Burke and a Sweetheart Pro, you're finally ready to let 'er rip on a Susato! :lol:

I learned to play a Susato well out of self-preservation...I was playing for the Morris kids and, until I got my Sweetheart Pro, it was the only whistle I had that was loud enough that they could hear me over their bells. I must say, though, that since I got the Pro, I haven't picked up the Susatos. It's not just the volume, it's the tonal character...the Pro you can really push, and it still sounds great, where the Susato would sound piercing.

Redwolf
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

(I only read your original message, not all the posts).
I see you've been taking lessons for 2 months, but have you been playing for more than 2 months? If not, you are sitting in on sessions too early in the learning curve, unless you have a lot of musical experience. You need to give it time.
By the way, Irish music is played fast. On the other hand, if someone starts a tune it's only polite for those joining in to keep the original speed. HOWEVER...it can be hard to slow down on a tune that you've played fast for a long time.
Sam_T
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sam_T »

I'm another classically trained musician (clarinet, to degree level) who thought that the whistle would be "easy" - and have since learnt otherwise! Like you, I found that learning to play by ear was a real prblem at first. In fact when I started I was determined that I would just play by the dots - I mean, why not? Everything's there, why would you need to learn by ear...?

I soon realised that - for me, at least - the two learning styles are very different. If I play a tune from the notes I can get through it pretty much straight away and it sounds fine. Problem is that I don't remember it and, consequently, can't do anything with it in terms of variation. If I learn a tune by ear, on the other hand, I find that I can almost immediately add variations, play around with it, and so on - it's as if it gets immediatelely "embedded" in my mind. Of course, the problem is that it has taken a while (probably two/three years) to get to a point where I can learn tunes quickly by ear (and that's on the back of 10+ year of serious classical training). But it's worth the effort.

Sam
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

(As if you dont have enough "advice" already BUT here goes for my penny worth):

I am a whistle beginner 6-7 month, and I cannot read the dots. I have found a Midi player programme called VanBasco's Karaoke Player (dont let the karaoke bit put you of) an invaluable help.

This FREE little programme plays MIDI files and you can select it to play a midi tune in any key and in any tempo. It can also be set to repeat the tune. There are LOADS of midi files available covering every taste free on the Internet. VanBasco's even have a search programme on line to look for midis.

When I find a tune I like - I look for it in MIDI format - I save it to a "Tunes for Learning" folder. Then I play it a couple of dozen times to get the tune into my head. Next I set the VanBasco's player to play it slowly in the Key of whatever whistle I am using - and develop from there.

Here is the link for VanBasco's: http://www.vanbasco.com/

Be sure to say a thank you to this really helpful guy if you use the programme.

Good luck with learning - and above all be sure to make the learning enjoyable!
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

And if it's midi's for trad music you're looking for, you need look no farther than:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/findtune.html

Redwolf
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Ahhhh patience grasshopper,
from what i have read, you have many blessings in disguise,
A ..you are determined
B ..you have an enquiring mind
C ..you are not afraid to ask for help to improve,
this is all good
dont fret about the speed of tunes at sessions,
like you, when i was a beginner, i was overwhelmed by the speed,
but dont worry, being pushed is the quickest way to improve, as im sure you will discover in time,
If you choose to stay with it for a couple of years, many of your current frustrations will have gone, but you will have many more frustrations to deal with..... :lol: these are just more opportunities to improve
stick with it,
good luck
regards
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Flauta dolce

Playing fast

Post by Flauta dolce »

Thank you so much for your advice which I will take on board.

Referring to my first message, here's a story for you.

When I started playing in a session group the tunes "Cailleadh an Airgid/The Hag with the Money" leading onto "An Rogaire Dubh/Black Rogue", I thought I had run a tin-whistle marathon.

We all played the first tune well. :)

The second tune being very popular (you learn this tune in primary school) was taken over by the "bearded flautist" and everytime increased in tempo :boggle:

Being too timid (and new to the group) I said nothing to the guilty "bearded flautist".

However, the most senior in age of the flautists said nicely while smiling at the the culprit "Have you taken a pill?"...This question was put to Bearded Flautist polietly who did not reply but understood what was implied. It was subtle and effective trick. And Beard flautist slowed afterwards. Whew...! :wink:

I couldn't have put it better myself to "Bearded Flautist" to "Slow down"... :D

You could say "Tog bog é" (Irish for "Take it easy"), that sometimes works too.
Last edited by Flauta dolce on Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flauta dolce

Imposter

Post by Flauta dolce »

You know Sam, I actually prefer to play by ear. It feels like a more natural way of playing....

Being as Novice, I have been moulded in a classical way of thinking and playing...That's gonna change though, without a doubt.

And...

In reply to those who accused me of being an Imposter. On my first official lesson, my teacher said to me "Do you play the recorder? You play the whistle like someone who plays recorder". Very well spotted, guys.