A "tip" for beginners/intermediate players

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Sorry to contribute to this diatribe, but:

Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jim Wright
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

not sure any more

Post by Jim Wright »

Down here in the South .. we hunt those Kudos .... they be fast and hard to hit ... but mighty tasty when cooked right! :D

jim
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

edited.

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Edited w/ some additional tips.

Thank you.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Scott McCallister

Re: A "tip" for beginners/intermediate players

Post by Scott McCallister »

jmccain wrote:
talbert st.claire wrote:...So, I want you to please try this simple but effective exercise below.

1-Take a good size wall clock & watch the second hand as it ticks away (give this a few minutes before playing). Get into a really comfortable position before trying this exercise. Now try playing your tune to the second hand as it ticks away.
Good suggestion. And, if you want to play slower or faster than 60 beats per minute, there's a device called a metronome. Metronomes are available at all fine music retail outlets.

Best, John
Woah! Careful there jmccain! You can't just go about whipping out the "M" word around here especially when there are clocks to be stared at!

This kind of pell-mell attitude about using stuff as a reference will only lead to debauchery. What next, a device that people can use as a reference of pitch?! I can see this going as far as people making little written reminders about how a tune starts or changes into the B part, or worse even how a whole tune goes! :x

And these, these music outlets you talk about... what's that all about? I suppose they would have all kinds of things that I could use to maintain my instrument with like some sort of grease for tuning slides and polishing cloths that "remove tarnish" Bah! I can rub the tennon of my whistle in the crook of my nose and lube it up fine. As far as your cleaning rag, I like to soak my whistles in a plastic bag filled with a private blend of ammonia and tobacco... they come out looking just the way I like.... Music outlets, indeed. :evil:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

That's hilarious, Scott!
:lol:
jmccain

Re: A "tip" for beginners/intermediate players

Post by jmccain »

Scott McCallister wrote:...
Woah! Careful there jmccain! You can't just go about whipping out the "M" word around here especially when there are clocks to be stared at!
Funny! But dude, when a bunch of palm trees take over your session and can only play one tempo, and staring at their watches while doing so, you're going to be so sorry you took away the "M" option.

Best, John
Scott McCallister

The saddest thing is that all of these arguments can be found on this board :roll: ... except maybe the nose thing... I have only done/seen that with fishing rod segments.

I'm just floored sometimes by the persistent need to reinvent the wheel because people are so afraid of betraying the Traditional part of Irish Trad.

It would be like having an old junker guitar that is in pretty bad shape because you wanted to learn the blues. The art form is alive and vibrant, its content as fresh and contemporary (and timeless) as the emotions being conveyed. Clinging to an old tool may be good for inspiration, but new well working equipment will always shorten the distance from inspiration to appreciation (applause, money, fame, etc...)

There are so many other tools out there that have already been put through their paces refined, reworked, in many cases near perfected.

The music will survive... why make it harder than it has to be by stumbling on equipment? :-? :-? :-?

Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Scott McCallister wrote:The saddest thing is that all of these arguments can be found on this board :roll: ... except maybe the nose thing... I have only done/seen that with fishing rod segments.

I'm just floored sometimes by the persistent need to reinvent the wheel because people are so afraid of betraying the Traditional part of Irish Trad.
Unlike that you'll understand before you are willing to start listening. ;)
/Bloomfield
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Scott McCallister wrote:The saddest thing is that all of these arguments can be found on this board :roll: ... except maybe the nose thing... I have only done/seen that with fishing rod segments.
+1

Good post.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Scott McCallister

Bloomfield wrote: Unlike that you'll understand before you are willing to start listening. ;)
?

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Unlike should be unlikely... In other words... um...
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Talbert, I have to assume you're not aware of what a metronome is. Look it up on Google or E-bay. Handy dandy little things. Does what the clock will do, but you can vary the timing of the beat.
Scott McCallister

NicoMoreno wrote:Unlike should be unlikely... In other words... um...
oh, I get what he is going for here, but I never said what I think he thinks he thought I said.

Use all the pieces, the new and the old. Funny thing about traditions, Bloom... they usually end up changing... or dying, just like everything else.

Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Scott McCallister wrote: Use all the pieces, the new and the old. Funny thing about traditions, Bloom... they usually end up changing... or dying, just like everything else.
Fair enough, and I've never doubted it. It just sounds so silly to stand on the outside and lecture to the ones on inside what they are doing right and wrong and how they'll die if they don't change, and how you don't understand.

Funny thing about any style of music (or art) is that those who have it are the best ones to ask what works, doesn't work, matters or doesn't matter.
/Bloomfield
Jan Erik

Post by Jan Erik »

I've found that watching my Davy Spillane clock helps much more than the cheap clock I got at Target.